Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2020 5:48:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you take a gravity reading?

Not sure you hit any starch conversion on the rice?

Sake uses bacteria and polished rice to convert.

ETA: duh...13brix
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I cooked the rice separately for 45 minutes to gelatinize it before adding it to the mash.
View Quote

Not sure if being mixed with barley adds enzymes needed or not. Amylase is usually needed as rice lacks enzymes. Sake is done By some with 12-18hr mash to get starch conversion.
Interesting project none the less
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used Jamaican Red Rice for a 7 bbl batch twice.

We would cook it down to a gelatinous goo, boiling it and stirring with  paint mixers in drills. I think it was about 100 lbs worth. Took about 2 hours to get it all in the mash.
The rice didn't add any color and no problem with the run off. We stopped making that beer, to much of a pain to clean everything up, burned on rice sucks.

It was a good drinking beer though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top