Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2021 12:41:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Maybe Ale, maybe Lager. IDK yet what yeast cake I'm going to pitch it on.

I can rack the ESB off of it's yeast and use that and not tie up my lager fermentation fridge since I want to brew another lager this week and I really only have room for one fermenter at a time in it.

8 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb flaked maize. (I want to lighten the body a bit)
3 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz crystal/caramel 40
4 oz Crystal/caramel 80
2 oz melanoidin malt

1.5 oz EKG hops for 60 min.

This is the beer that I was going to try the Red-X malt in for color, but decided it would be super malty after reading up on it.  Mostly because I hate roasted barley. So you can guess that I'm not a stout drinker.

Chilling now. Hit where I wanted, a 1.050 beer.  Wort tastes good, so not the burnt roasted barley that I hate.  I'm not sure I get the exact red color I'm shooting for. That will have to wait for the glass.
View Quote

Oh man - I'm just the opposite!  I can't get enough of the malty stout beers and they are mostly what I brew when I'm not brewing dopplebock.
Although for the first time in a long time I just bought (and received) an all grain kit beer from Northern Brewer, it's called 'Megalodon Imperial Red Ale'.

I put the ingredients into Beersmith and here's what it spit out:

I'm not sure how it's going to turn out but I'm going to give it a try (it just looked interesting).

O.G: 1.090 READY: 6 WEEKS
Suggested fermentation schedule:
2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary,
2 weeks conditioning

MASH INGREDIENTS
10 lbs Rahr 2-row
5 lbs German Munich Malt
0.5 lbs Briess Crystal 40
0.5 lbs English Medium Crystal
0.25 lbs English Extra Dark Crystal
0.25 lbs Special B

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
2 oz Centennial (60 min)
1 oz Centennial (20 min)
1 oz Cascade (20 min)
1 oz Centennial (10 min)
1 oz Cascade (10 min)
1.5 lbs Corn Sugar (0 min, at flame out)  ---> I may or may not play with this addition
White Labs WLP001 California Ale. Optimum
temp: 68-73 F

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn, you brew big beers.

I try to keep mine somewhat in the session range. 1.050 and sometimes 1.60.   Rarely over 10 lbs of base malt.

I ended up pitching this one on the ale cake, but put in the lager fermentation chamber for now. I'm going to keep it @ 64* for the first few days to suppress the esters from the English ale yeast, then take it out and let it ferment at room temp.   That way I can do another lager this weekend.  

I'm trying to fill all my kegs before cold weather hits.
View Quote

Yeah, I hear you.
I have two full kegs in the kegerator, an Oktoberfest about ready to keg, the Russian Imperial Stout in fermentation now, and the Imperial Red ready to brew as soon as the Oktoberfest is kegged.
That still leaves me with two empty kegs I want/need to get filled (most likely with more tame ABV lagers for company).
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top