Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2022 10:22:55 PM EDT
I raise my dough in the oven with the oven light on. Everything goes great until I remove the panned dough to start the oven for baking. When I take the dough out, it usually ends up deflating. The flavor and texture of my bread turns out great, it's just squatty.

How do I prevent that from happening?

Related question, how do I keep my crust/outside from getting so crusty (sandwich bread)?
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Pullman loaf pan.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Consider using some other place to proof your dough, so you can heat your oven for baking without having to remove the loaf and let it sit/cool. Will it fit into the microwave? Could you just cover it with a light dishtowel or cheesecloth and leave it on the counter to proof?
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Put a temp probe in there.  My bread dough is supposed to proof at 78-80 deg.  The oven light runs the oven temp up to about 110.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:50:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Would it help if when you take the dough out of the oven cover with a very hot towel to keep it from cooling?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Consider using some other place to proof your dough, so you can heat your oven for baking without having to remove the loaf and let it sit/cool. Will it fit into the microwave? Could you just cover it with a light dishtowel or cheesecloth and leave it on the counter to proof?
View Quote
Yeah, that was the next thing I was gonna try, proofing it in the microwave.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Related question, how do I keep my crust/outside from getting so crusty (sandwich bread)?
View Quote

Try this recipe:
https://marysnest.com/no-knead-sandwich-bread/ - I substituted olive oil for the melted butter.

Making it was easy.  I like the taste of the artisan no-knead bread better but I think that's because the longer initial rise time (18 hours) makes it more robust.  The sandwich bread is very mild-tasting and soft even with the olive oil.  For my next one I'm going to swap 1/3 of the flour with rye or whole wheat flour.

After the second second rise just before I put it in the oven:
Attachment Attached File

After it baked I brushed the top with melted butter:
Attachment Attached File

Bake time was 40 minutes, I think another 2-3 minutes would have given it a perfect golden brown top crust but it was baked through.

Sliced:
Attachment Attached File

I don't use measuring cups for flour, I weigh it, since how densely the flour is packed can make a difference in how much you're putting into the recipe.  One cup of flour is 4.4 oz so I used 13.5 oz of flour in the recipe and 1.5 cups of water since I just made one loaf.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Made a loaf today. Did both proofings in the microwave with the door closed. Didn't rise enough. Next time maybe I'll try the oven/light and move to the microwave for a short time while the oven preheats.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Try this recipe:
https://marysnest.com/no-knead-sandwich-bread/ - I substituted olive oil for the melted butter.

Making it was easy.  I like the taste of the artisan no-knead bread better but I think that's because the longer initial rise time (18 hours) makes it more robust.  The sandwich bread is very mild-tasting and soft even with the olive oil.  For my next one I'm going to swap 1/3 of the flour with rye or whole wheat flour.

After the second second rise just before I put it in the oven:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1498/sbread1_jpg-2310885.JPG

After it baked I brushed the top with melted butter:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1498/sbread2_jpg-2310886.JPG

Bake time was 40 minutes, I think another 2-3 minutes would have given it a perfect golden brown top crust but it was baked through.

Sliced:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1498/sbread3_jpg-2310887.JPG

I don't use measuring cups for flour, I weigh it, since how densely the flour is packed can make a difference in how much you're putting into the recipe.  One cup of flour is 4.4 oz so I used 13.5 oz of flour in the recipe and 1.5 cups of water since I just made one loaf.
View Quote

Deff should weigh, make a huge difference. Also make sure the yeast is the correct amount, dry active uses a different amount than instant. My bread game improved when I started proofing overnight in the fridge.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Made a loaf today. Did both proofings in the microwave with the door closed. Didn't rise enough. Next time maybe I'll try the oven/light and move to the microwave for a short time while the oven preheats.
View Quote

Try setting the bowl on the counter right next to the refrigerator.  The exhaust heat from the refrigerator creates a warm spot at that point.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I raise my dough in the oven with the oven light on. Everything goes great until I remove the panned dough to start the oven for baking. When I take the dough out, it usually ends up deflating. The flavor and texture of my bread turns out great, it's just squatty.

How do I prevent that from happening?

View Quote

Collapse = over-proofing. Oven might be too warm with the lights on, definitely check that out. You want 80-85 degrees F. I only do bulk ferment in the oven/proofer, shaped dough I proof covered on top of the oven near the back vents while it preheats so the dough can go in exactly when ready and not waiting on the oven.

You want a dough recipe with some fat in it (oil, eggs, both) if you are looking for soft sandwich bread. I have one kicking around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#11]
The recipe I use has oil in it. It calls for canola, I use olive.

I'm not sure exactly where I can get 80-85 degrees.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
It won't change all that fast.  Use your oven light but get a temp probe and watch your dough temps.  When your dough gets to 80 ish, turn the light off.  Take the dough out of the oven before you pre-heat.  It isn't going to loose anything sitting on the counter for 1/2 hour.

Learn the finger test for proofing your bread.  Basically just push the dough in a bit and see how fast it recovers.  If it pops right out, it's not proofed. When the dent stays or takes a bit to recover your dough is ready.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top