Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2020 4:17:05 PM EDT
I bought a Lincoln welder last year and there was a lot of talk about brand-name versus import welding machines.  Obviously I went brand-name and I've been happy with it.

What about supplies consumables and torches?   I want to get a smaller torch, but the big brands are TRIPLE the price of the imports.   I have no doubt the name brands are better quality, but triple is a big price change.

Part of me says it's just a conductor and the chinesium metal will be fine.  The other part says suck it up and pay for the known quantity.  I'm leaning towards the name brand.  This is for a tig torch. Any experiences?
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been using ebay tig cups and collets, no problems unless I drop the torch and break them.

I get my tungstens from Welding City on Ebay.  I have no complaints, but I also have no experience with the high $ brand name stuff either.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been using ebay tig cups and collets, no problems unless I drop the torch and break them.

I get my tungstens from Welding City on Ebay.  I have no complaints, but I also have no experience with the high $ brand name stuff either.
View Quote
I got some torch parts from welding city this week.... never had a problem before with their stuff, but the stuff I just got is gimpy.  The collet bodies seem to be poorly machined - the cups can cross-thread and when threaded on straight the electrode is not centered in the cup.  It seems the OD of the cup threads on the collet body are undersized.

Not a big deal since the low-end stuff costs so little, but this made me reconsider a chinesium torch.

Also, i found if you order from welding city website the prices are a bit lower, presumably because they don't pay commissions to amazon/ebay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top