Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2021 1:57:24 AM EDT
I bought some of the 69% 60 gram packs and have gone through 3 in maybe 2.5 months. I have a small 50 count desktop humidor from CI that I seasoned with wipes prior to using. I checked the seal with a flashlight, and by dropping the lid and it seems like the seal is fine. I only put maybe a dozen or so sticks in it and they came out of a humidor prior to that.

Crap seal? Dry sticks? Underseasoned wood? Cheapo humidor? Combo of all 4? Or is a month all the normally last?
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 3:45:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 4:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
They last a lot longer than you think.

After it becomes hard, put it in a container of very clean (I use R.O.) water for about 4 days. Knead it gently every once in awhile to break up the hard chunks.
After about 4 days, it will be completely liquid again and WILL work properly at its rated humidity until it gets depleted once more.
Then you can do it again. And again. And again. :)

I use giant ones in 5 gallon buckets. I get many uses out of each one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to get about 2-3 months before swapping in a new on. Switched to a Tupperdor and it’s been like 6 months since I’ve changed one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Had some for years. Just recharge them and it's like a new one all over. Rotate them around to keep them full.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 5:44:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have wondered about but haven’t tried this.

Do the “paper” packets stay intact?
View Quote

This is what I have. The brown paper ones.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine last through several recharges and such. I think they stay together as long as you don't dunk them in water and such.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of the small humidors you get on the online shops are MDF with a paper thin veneer.  They are not effective at holding humidity and will tear thru boveda packs like crazy.  Even a good quality solid wood humidor with thick walls costing a few hundred bucks will use them up fast depending on the environment and how often you open your humidor.  This is the whole reason I gave up on humidors and started keeping everything in coolers/tupperware.  Once the humidity in a container normalizes and especially if you open it infrequently, they'll last a really long time.  

I recharge mine by putting them in a tupperware container with a small bowl of distilled water with a piece of aquarium filter sponge partially submerged in it to help diffuse the water vapor.  The packets I place in a little rack I made out of cardboard that stands them on edge so both sides are exposed to the air.  Occasionally I'll open it up and give them a shake and flip them in the rack.  It takes a couple weeks or so but there is no hurry since the ones in use dry out so slowly.  I have not tried submerging them like another poster said, but it sounds like that's a lot faster.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of the small humidors you get on the online shops are MDF with a paper thin veneer.  They are not effective at holding humidity and will tear thru boveda packs like crazy.  Even a good quality solid wood humidor with thick walls costing a few hundred bucks will use them up fast depending on the environment and how often you open your humidor.  This is the whole reason I gave up on humidors and started keeping everything in coolers/tupperware.  Once the humidity in a container normalizes and especially if you open it infrequently, they'll last a really long time.  

I recharge mine by putting them in a tupperware container with a small bowl of distilled water with a piece of aquarium filter sponge partially submerged in it to help diffuse the water vapor.  The packets I place in a little rack I made out of cardboard that stands them on edge so both sides are exposed to the air.  Occasionally I'll open it up and give them a shake and flip them in the rack.  It takes a couple weeks or so but there is no hurry since the ones in use dry out so slowly.  I have not tried submerging them like another poster said, but it sounds like that's a lot faster.
View Quote

I submerge the 320g size. It is contained in a cardboard box with holes so I take it out of that first, but it looks like it is made of a plastic, not paper. It's really more of a...  mesh of some kind but submerging it isn't a problem. These extra large ones definitely don't look like paper. Your method sounds much better for refreshing the paper ones.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a 55 quart cooler with a good seal and about 10 of the 65% 60 gram packets along with some beads from Heartfelt.  My packs are still going strong after 2 years and it is holding perfect.  Every few months I pull a few out and put them in a tupperware container with a small bowl of distilled water and let them sit for a week and recharge them, then toss them back in.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a 100 cigar desktop humidor - with 50 cigars loaded, I used 5-6 72% large packs for 6 months to keep the moisture at 70%... with empty humidor - you loose it faster, but with full - it stabilizes

now I have a 300 cigar temp controlled humidor - size of the under-counter wine cooler... I have about 100 cigars there.  I have 3 or 4 72% large packs - so far so good in 3 months - no drop
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#12]
In my wood humidors I get about 6 months but they seem to last forever in my tupperdors.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not sure what the actual size is, but I've had one of the ones that's roughly 3"x4" in my cheap Amazon acrylic humidor for going on a year.

It's a 69%, and still just as jiggly as it was when I first put it in.

Yes, I know, not real scientific, but my point is that they will last a long time in an airtight humidor.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Desktop humidors will burn through bovedas a lot faster than coolers and Tupperware.  I’ve had 4-6 in my cooler since July and they are still going strong.  And you don’t need as many as well.  Definitely not the best looking solutions, but they are the most efficient.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Solid advice. I wasn't aware we could reconstitute them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top