Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2022 10:15:30 AM EDT
Good morning,

My humidor holds approximately 100 cigars. I currently have about 30 cigars in it. For years I've been using Boveda 69. It seems to work decent. I have a mix of Cubans and non-Cuban cigars. The electronic meter reads on average 67% humidity. I typically use two Boveda 69 packets, the large ones.

Should I continue to use Boveda 69 or should I downgrade to either 62 or 65?

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My rule of thumb is maximum humidity without mold.  If your cigars aren't getting white and fuzzy, keep using the 69.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My rule of thumb is maximum humidity without mold.  If your cigars aren't getting white and fuzzy, keep using the 69.
View Quote

Some do have white dots on them. I'm not sure if that would be mold or plume. It wipes off cleanly with your thumb.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good morning,

My humidor holds approximately 100 cigars. I currently have about 30 cigars in it. For years I've been using Boveda 69. It seems to work decent. I have a mix of Cubans and non-Cuban cigars. The electronic meter reads on average 67% humidity. I typically use two Boveda 69 packets, the large ones.

Thank you
View Quote

The Brits tend to like their cigars a bit dryer, say 68%, Americans prefer 70%.

In the end, it's totally up to you and your personal preference.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Set aside a few of your favorite sticks and try it. It definitely changed the smoking experience for me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on what you smoke in my opinion - mild CT stuff I’d say stay with what you got, med-full/Broadleaf stuff/etc I’d go with the 65’s so that you’d end up around 62-63%. My humidor is at 68°/63% and I love the way my stuff is smoking - most of my sticks are med-full though
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good morning,

Thank you
View Quote
Cubans do better at 65.  I keep all my ready to smoke cigars at 65.  I keep new purchase stuff that I'm letting age at 69.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:02:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe the rule is 135. Your temperature plus relative humidity need to be around 135. More than that and bad things happen. Also, plume isn’t real. It’s mold. I use 69s and they work awesome but I’m in the basement where it’s rarely over 65 degrees. 69rh plus 65* is 134 so I’m right on the money
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe the rule is 135. Your temperature plus relative humidity need to be around 135. More than that and bad things happen. Also, plume isn't real. It's mold. I use 69s and they work awesome but I'm in the basement where it's rarely over 65 degrees. 69rh plus 65* is 134 so I'm right on the money
View Quote
Never heard of this, but makes sense as relative humidity is well, relative to temperature.

I use 65 Bovedas in my cabinet humidor, mostly Cubans.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top