Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/25/2022 6:19:38 PM EDT
Gotta admit, I never knew there was a market for knockoff $6 oil filters, but sure enough, i found em. I went down the rabbit hole after the oil filter thread here, and checked some filters i bought off Az; sadly, while they looked ok, they had all the tell-tale signs for being fake (with one having a huge dent). Stopped by a yota dealership, and they confirmed it.  Bummer.

Since i had a few days left on the return window, i put in a return, and left an appropriate review (even marking the listing itself). The only other reviews (yeah, should have looked closer) were not verified purchases, with one user named "Sam Wise" (didn't know they drive Taco's in Middle Earth). I figured that was the end of that, but in the last two days, the FBA seller reached out to me...

Basically, they are really trying to plead their case, that the filters are real, yadda yadda.  What surprised me, initially, they made this offer:
...We can send additional evidence and you can compare the filter, you can even call Toyota of North Miami, we are authorized to sell the 90915-YZZD3 filter.
View Quote

Which i didnt really care about. I already returned them, it was off my radar. Told em i don't know how the fakes got there, but there were, and that was it.
This upped their ante..
If toyota is the one who provide they should not be fake. We have more than 5000 pcs purchased with them. Give me the opportunity to solve this case. Send me your address and we will ask Amazon to send a new product. In addition to that, we will ask Toyota to issue a letter of authenticity of the product with photographs and you compare
View Quote

K... more free oil filters, also likely fake.  But before i could even respond, they upped the ante again..
Mr Daniel we would like to offer a free tune up for your vehicle. (4/6/8 NGK SPARK PLUGS Iridium iX, WIRES, ENGINE OIL ANY BRAND, 2 OIL FILTERS TOYOTA) This as a sample of our service. In addition to this, we offer to solve the problem by providing all the evidence that our products are authentic.
View Quote

Now, I'm not one to turn down free stuff, but the rapid and drastic escalation of the offer has my head wondering what the end game is. I don't think too much could happen from my address being given, but I am paranoid about it too. As it is, my truck is running fine on a new Wix filter, so i can safely ignore it, but I am curious what the hive might do in this case...
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Pepper your…
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn’t sound like the filters are fake.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Amazon is turning into Craig's list, it's hit it's high water mark.

I am very wary of anything there, I buy from actual businesses, very rarely from Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]
How did you confirm that they are fake?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't give them your address. Don't respond to them anymore. Let us all know the seller in question to avoid scams in the future, please.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Get your money back, leave an appropriate review of their fake shit, tell them to fuck off.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I know shit can happen, but i also doubt that Toyota would ship a filter that is partially bashed in (despite the box having no damage at all, the top of one filter looked like it was hit with a hammer).
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy off your bad review, continue to sell take stuff.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't give them your address. Don't respond to them anymore. Let us all know the seller in question to avoid scams in the future, please.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thats pretty much where i am at right now.  The seller is "Multi Brands 305"; a small bit of due diligence also shows the owner having two other business (and investment corp, and home remodeling).

Quoted:
How did you confirm that they are fake?

Initially checked against comparison videos on YT, then asked Toyo directly.

Quoted:
Get your money back, leave an appropriate review of their fake shit, tell them to fuck off.

Done and done, but they somehow got my review to disappear (though it shows on their seller profile).  I also had included a shot of the messed up filter.. guess they didn't like evidence.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I know shit can happen, but i also doubt that Toyota would ship a filter that is partially bashed in (despite the box having no damage at all, the top of one filter looked like it was hit with a hammer).
View Quote

I have found filters in the store that are dented, have rust on the inside, or debris inside them, these are M1 and Wix. Motorcraft filers are commonly faked or they are from the 3rd shift, someone posted a picture of one they got off the Z with a sticker on it, not painted on.

I’ll take the chance on a counterfeit when it comes to silly shit, but everything else I try to buy from the mfg or a reliable vendor.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#11]
From what I've heard Amazon is basically eBay on steroids now, and is overrun with Chinese nationals operating as "shops" selling stock that is held stateside in Amazon warehouses. These "shops" are so thick in number now that they have to do anything and everything to boost their visibility on Amazon and many will (against Amazon policy) put little notes in their item packaging that Amazon doesn't see (because it is inside the packaging) promising the buyer free things like gift cards or more merchandise if they leave five star reviews. So they basically bribe their customers into leaving them five star reviews regardless of their product or quality, because they know most people who shop Amazon never actually read the reviews and only look at overall star ratings.

I have also heard that Amazon's policies on third party stores are a bit on the draconian side as it pertains to item legitimacy, and if a shop gets too many returns or worse yet gets returns for reasons like "counterfeit item" Amazon can kill their storefront instantly. Too many valuable Amazon customers complaining about cheap or knock-off Chinese shit made them trigger happy. So it appears to me that any claims of "fake" or "counterfeit" items made on Amazon to third party store items can get them booted if not properly resolved. My guess is the seller is trying to prevent this from happening and is more than willing to offer you the moon if it means their storefront doesn't get the axe.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Move on.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#13]
How is an oil filter fake, branded as OEM but missing check valves, etc? I'd take the parts to at least have as spares, but not if it's at the cost of dropping the review. Does sound kinda like they're trying to do the right thing, hard to tell. Some places that are "supplied by Amazon" or something like that basically drop ship and would t have sent them themselves. Sucks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Just wait til fakes start showing up regularly at Brick and Mortar stores (if they aren't already)

Customer will be the one to get screwed over and the buck passed to them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have found filters in the store that are dented, have rust on the inside, or debris inside them, these are M1 and Wix. Motorcraft filers are commonly faked or they are from the 3rd shift, someone posted a picture of one they got off the Z with a sticker on it, not painted on.

I’ll take the chance on a counterfeit when it comes to silly shit, but everything else I try to buy from the mfg or a reliable vendor.
View Quote

The sticker Motorcraft filters are a design change. I checked multiple sources, Walmart, Autozone, and Rockauto. All had sticker filters without the silk screen printing directly on the can like they used to have.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How is an oil filter fake, branded as OEM but missing check valves, etc? I'd take the parts to at least have as spares, but not if it's at the cost of dropping the review. Does sound kinda like they're trying to do the right thing, hard to tell. Some places that are "supplied by Amazon" or something like that basically drop ship and would t have sent them themselves. Sucks.
View Quote

Spare parts would do more harm if the inside is low quality, falling apart, or otherwise questionable. Last thing i need is a filter breaking down and releasing media in the engine (she is already at 250K, so she is more susceptible to issues as is)..
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#17]
The walmart super tech filters are actually pretty good and if it's on the shelf at walmart its genuine.  Kinda ironic when a value brand is more reliable than top tier.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Toyota Counterfeit parts EXPOSED!
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Is the seller saying they are a Toyota dealer in Miami? That's what I infer from the stuff you posted.

How are they going to do all those services on your vehicle? Or were they just going to ship you the stuff? They already have your address if they shipped you anything, so not sure why hiding it now makes a difference.

I would see who the seller actually is.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, all the other shit they’re offering is fake too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I bet that seller is telling the truth. He probably sent all his product to amazon where they comingle items and they just picked a fake one up from another sellers inventory.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Here’s how I think it works.
If said product exists on alibaba as a knock-off, there’s a 75% chance Amazon.com is selling the knock-off version.

One day this will make the news and Amazon stock will crash(even more).
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is the seller saying they are a Toyota dealer in Miami? That's what I infer from the stuff you posted.

How are they going to do all those services on your vehicle? Or were they just going to ship you the stuff? They already have your address if they shipped you anything, so not sure why hiding it now makes a difference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The seller definitely isn't a dealer. They stated:
Dealers like Toyota of North Miami and Headquater Toyota are our provider. That's why we guarantee our inventory on this product. All this must be a little confusion and we can solve it. We ask you to help us so that we can prove it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I didn't read the entire thread but the problem with Amazon is they house products sellers send in.  When they do this they don't necessarily send you the sprocket that Acme sent in to warehouse.  They send you the sprocket they can get to the easiest and credit Acme with the sale. If anyone sends in a counterfeit sprocket you get fakes even buying direct from Acme

Atleast that's what I read kn the internet
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Came here to post this also. fuck Amazon. I only buy maintenance items for my Toyotas from my local dealer. It’s not worth the hassle or chance getting sold knockoff Chinese shit shopping anywhere else
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lol, all the other shit they’re offering is fake too.
View Quote

This. Learned my lesson years ago when I had a BMW and actually cared about putting only OEM parts on it. It might come in a legit box, look kind of legit, but 95% of everything sold on there is either fake or factory seconds. After getting burned for the 3rd or 4th time, I swore them off. Car parts, gun parts, whatever, there’s dozens of reputable businesses like that sell real products and will stand behind them. Even damn clothes, tractor supply never has 34/30 liberty overalls, order some off Amazon, clearly factory seconds with the wrong tag sewed in, they don’t fit at all. Bezos and his stupid website and dick shaped rockets are a joke.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#28]
You are crazy for buying car parts on Amazon. The website is a Chinese bazaar. Buy from a dealer or Rock Auto. Any where else you are asking for it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Amazon has been full of fake shit for years.

I remember when Yeti tumblers and ramblers were a big deal.

Amazon has pictures of real merch, it says sold by Yeti but the shit is fake or at least from time to time fake gets slipped into the population.

I wrote them an email about it when I bought through them and it even looked like it was coming direct from Yeti if you believe the description details.

They were like "OK, we will look into it."

They don't give a fuck.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Amazon FBA is a bit of a shit show.

There are times when Amazon will basically put products from multiple sellers in the same "bin" if they are the same.  Theory is that it doesn't matter which goes with which seller if they are the same and the customer gets the product they orders.  Commingling they call it.  So the item you get may not actually be one sent in by the seller you were buying from.

Then there is always the possibility that the filters the seller is providing to Amazon are real, but a previous buyer of them did a return and sent in a fake filter.  The Amazon warehouse person will have no idea how spot a fake filter, so it just goes back on the shelf for an unlucky buyer to get.

Hard to say what is really going on with these filters.  This is all just a good example of why I never buy stuff like that from Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#31]
was the seller a Toyota Dealer? I buy 10 packs for three Toyotas on Amazon and always buy from a dealer.

N/M... answered
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes as others have said you don't necessarily get the exact item the company you bought from sent in.

I worked at a fairly large ecommerce provider 10 years ago and we were seeing our $25 items counterfeited on Amazon. We personally did not believe it as the providers were not a customer and we could not figure out how they were getting even grey market items. We actually bought some and saw they were counterfeit but made to look like our items. Complained to Amazon and they did almost nothing.

We could not believe it then. I guess they are down to $6 items now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. They’re fake. Seller knows they’re fake. But the seller is desperate to not have that comment associated with their fake filters before dumping the lot of 5000 they bought from china.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
you can even call Toyota of North Miami
View Quote

Toyota of North Miami is sketchy AF
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nope. They’re fake. Seller knows they’re fake. But the seller is desperate to not have that comment associated with their fake filters before dumping the lot of 5000 they bought from china.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Honestly, that's what this feels like the most. The fervent desire to "make it right" feels like an overreaction to me (its what made me wonder in the first place).

Quoted:

Toyota of North Miami is sketchy AF

Desire to know more intensifies...
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#36]
If you give some of these shady companies bad feedback on eBay they will also overreact and offer you everything to get your review removed. F Them.

PS FJB
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#37]
These days you really have to watch where you buy from.
I’ve gotten upset many times in Holosun threads and the like about China.  This is a perfect example of just how far the counterfeiting has gone.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Oil filters are like $8 why fake them
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Let Amazon know, they will DRT that seller if true.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you give some of these shady companies bad feedback on eBay they will also overreact and offer you everything to get your review removed. F Them.

PS FJB
View Quote

I remember when Botach tried that with me...... it didn't go as he planned
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Not worth your time unless you are really bored and want to post every interaction for us to read. If you could hurt them them I’d say burn ‘em but your negative review is about it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Gotta admit, I never knew there was a market for knockoff $6 oil filters, but sure enough, i found em. I went down the rabbit hole after the oil filter thread here, and checked some filters i bought off Az; sadly, while they looked ok, they had all the tell-tale signs for being fake (with one having a huge dent). Stopped by a yota dealership, and they confirmed it.  Bummer.

Since i had a few days left on the return window, i put in a return, and left an appropriate review (even marking the listing itself). The only other reviews (yeah, should have looked closer) were not verified purchases, with one user named "Sam Wise" (didn't know they drive Taco's in Middle Earth). I figured that was the end of that, but in the last two days, the FBA seller reached out to me...

Basically, they are really trying to plead their case, that the filters are real, yadda yadda.  What surprised me, initially, they made this offer:
...We can send additional evidence and you can compare the filter, you can even call Toyota of North Miami, we are authorized to sell the 90915-YZZD3 filter.
View Quote

Which i didnt really care about. I already returned them, it was off my radar. Told em i don't know how the fakes got there, but there were, and that was it.
This upped their ante..
If toyota is the one who provide they should not be fake. We have more than 5000 pcs purchased with them. Give me the opportunity to solve this case. Send me your address and we will ask Amazon to send a new product. In addition to that, we will ask Toyota to issue a letter of authenticity of the product with photographs and you compare
View Quote

K... more free oil filters, also likely fake.  But before i could even respond, they upped the ante again..
Mr Daniel we would like to offer a free tune up for your vehicle. (4/6/8 NGK SPARK PLUGS Iridium iX, WIRES, ENGINE OIL ANY BRAND, 2 OIL FILTERS TOYOTA) This as a sample of our service. In addition to this, we offer to solve the problem by providing all the evidence that our products are authentic.
View Quote

Now, I'm not one to turn down free stuff, but the rapid and drastic escalation of the offer has my head wondering what the end game is. I don't think too much could happen from my address being given, but I am paranoid about it too. As it is, my truck is running fine on a new Wix filter, so i can safely ignore it, but I am curious what the hive might do in this case...
View Quote

the seller is shitting bricks because Amazon will shut their account down with a quickness if there is even a hint of fraud. that's why he's offering all the free stuff.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

the seller is shitting bricks because Amazon will shut their account down with a quickness if there is even a hint of fraud. that's why he's offering all the free stuff.
View Quote

This seems logical.  Amazon could send out some of the filters from the seller that are in their warehouse to Toyota for verification.  I guarantee Toyota has someone who can quickly validate if they are genuine Toyota filters and will do it quickly for a large company like Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Amazon is turning into Craig's list, it's hit it's high water mark.

I am very wary of anything there, I buy from actual businesses, very rarely from Amazon.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Amazon FBA is a bit of a shit show.

There are times when Amazon will basically put products from multiple sellers in the same "bin" if they are the same.  Theory is that it doesn't matter which goes with which seller if they are the same and the customer gets the product they orders.  Commingling they call it.  So the item you get may not actually be one sent in by the seller you were buying from.

Then there is always the possibility that the filters the seller is providing to Amazon are real, but a previous buyer of them did a return and sent in a fake filter.  The Amazon warehouse person will have no idea how spot a fake filter, so it just goes back on the shelf for an unlucky buyer to get.

Hard to say what is really going on with these filters.  This is all just a good example of why I never buy stuff like that from Amazon.
View Quote

When did Amazon returns stop being a black hole that some kid sent perfectly weighted boxes of rocks into for years?

The Amazon return centers are redistribution centers now? I missed this. They were dead ends.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The sticker Motorcraft filters are a design change. I checked multiple sources, Walmart, Autozone, and Rockauto. All had sticker filters without the silk screen printing directly on the can like they used to have.
View Quote

My local Ford parts guy told me they have at least two manufacturers for filters when I asked him about seeing different looking filters.   FWIW I buy all my filters from the local dealer. I have an unlimited mileage power train warranty and plan to keep current truck a long time.   I buy a filter every 5k miles and keep the receipt to prove maintenance for warranty company.  Dealer is convenient and cheap enough.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I didn't read the entire thread but the problem with Amazon is they house products sellers send in.  When they do this they don't necessarily send you the sprocket that Acme sent in to warehouse.  They send you the sprocket they can get to the easiest and credit Acme with the sale. If anyone sends in a counterfeit sprocket you get fakes even buying direct from Acme

Atleast that's what I read kn the internet
View Quote

I’ve heard that as well. That Amazon co-mingles their inventory and FBA sellers inventory. If they have the same manufacture part number, it goes in the same bin.
I call bullshit on their story. They know it’s a major problem for years and years and they don’t fix it.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the real story is Amazon is ‘buying direct’ from China.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#48]
FWIW, and whoever reads this - you can always file a claim, albeit pain in the ass, directly with amazon thy product was broken or defective upon arrival.

they’ll refund your money &/o send you a new one.

personally, wouldn’t accept new filter in this instance, as it seems it’s not true OEM. fuck chinesium....
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I think I read oil filters are one of the most counterfeited items of all.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#50]
$0.60 cents for a $6.00 oil filter? Probably real right. Alibaba is filled with fake shit.

https://m.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=oil%20filter%20Toyota
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top