Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2020 5:57:33 PM EDT
This is a follow-up thread on my previous "Need Camera Recommendations for Work" and is cross posted in Urban Commandos.

At work (electric motor repair shop) we have recently changed from a point an shoot camera to a tablet or personal smart phones to document the various repair processes.  We have also been asked to take more photos of various stages of the processes.  I found that due to a bit of zombie finger issues, that I have a lot of difficulty using touch screen devices, and the tablet has other issues that make it difficult for me to take good photos.  These issues prompted me to buy a Nikon Z50 mirrorless camera.

However, going to one of the offices and copying files to the cloud sever with a USB card reader does work, it takes a bit too much time out of my work day, especially when we are busy.  I need my own device onto which I can either use the app that goes to the cloud server, or connects to the shop network.  

The camera supports a few wireless options and a USB option as well, but both require that the receiving device use Nikon software, and be fairly close by.  This means that I cannot really rely on downloading on either a company desktop or the tablet, for those would more often than not be out of range plus getting permission to download the Nikon software.  

So, I need some sort of device that allows nearly instantaneous copying of files and downloading to the cloud via wi-fi or by USB connection.  Note that this is all that the device will be doing, and will be living in a tool box drawer when not in use.  

I also do not have a cell phone, nor do I foresee getting one, so options of using my phone are not in the cards.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#1]
My 7200 has a hdmi output.  Perhaps the z50 has such as well?

Nikon has a new streaming’s app .

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/webcam-utility.page?utm_source=MKT&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=webam-utility-11-4-2020&utm_content=btn&utm_term=LearnMore&ET_CID=3544411&ET_RID=386936382&SC_ID=0031o00001TGf22AAD
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The Z50 does have an HDMI port.  However, what device would I stream to?  This is the essence of my question; I need recommendations on a device that will live in my tool box until such time as I need to take photos of what I am doing, or problems I've found with the parts.

To make it more clear, the various computers are in offices 50 yards or more away from my usual work areas, and obstructed by machinery, walls with metal objects on them, etc.  Line of sight is quite obstructed, and running cable is most impractical.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#3]
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/using-an-hdmi-recorder-and-external-monitor-with-your-hdslr.html

This says that you can output to a recorder.  I don’t know if that’s exactly fitting your needs.

Call B&H and see which one they recommend.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:52:19 AM EDT
[#4]
You could sync it via Snapbridge (Nikon app) to an iPad or similar that'll hold the jpg photos.  Then you can just sync via itunes, email, or connect to a file server via the ipad.  It's the only idea that doesn't have cables that I'm aware of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top