Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2018 11:38:51 PM EDT
Looking at buying a small chunk of land that I would want to later build a home on.  I have the money set aside in my Roth to cover the down payment.   The loan payments are not an issue and I can afford them.  I am pretty young so I have a lot of time to put the money back and earn interest on it.  I’ve just always put my emergency fund and extra cash into my Roth.  So is this a bad idea to use this money to cover the real estate down payment ?  I feel comfortable investing in land as it tends to hold value.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Not from a fiscal point of view to do that.  Since your looking you have the time to build up cash to put down for a down payment for land.  The withdraw trigger a 10% penalty but  not sure if the income is added to you current tax year or not due to withdrawing prior to 59 1/2
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought the point of the Roth was you can withdraw contributions penalty free?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:02:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought the point of the Roth was you can withdraw contributions penalty free?
View Quote
That’s how I understand it as well. You can withdrawal contributions penalty free.  Interest earned in the Roth account is a separate issue.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Base monies contributed to a Roth can be withdrawn at any time without penalty. Taxes and penalties generally are incurred on earnings.  Some info

FWIW OP I did much the same about 7 years ago.  I had the opportunity to buy a property at a greatly reduced rate and used a Roth withdrawal to fund it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Leave your retirement money alone.

Once you open the door to ''borrowing'' against your future, your future dims.

And you'll go feed at the trough the next time you want money.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Leave your retirement money alone.

Once you open the door to ''borrowing'' against your future, your future dims.

And you'll go feed at the trough the next time you want money.
View Quote
This is the generic, one size fits all, response.   Intelligent people make intelligent decisions and buying a tangible asset, particularly one that is also retirement related is intelligent.  Just ensure that your emergency fund is robust.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you everyone for your responses so far.  I am usually pretty against taking away anything from my retirement.  The only reason I am considering doing it is it is land I am investing in an upcoming area that is growing.  I will eventually build there and be my home. I also have several different accounts for retirements to include a pension.  I am still open to any advice good or bad.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#8]
What kind of property is it?  If it is an investment property, there are ways to purchase the asset within the IRA.  No penalties and any gains aren't taxable.  If it is something you intend to build on for yourself or if it is a hunting property or something then that wouldn't be an option.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What kind of property is it?  If it is an investment property, there are ways to purchase the asset within the IRA.  No penalties and any gains aren't taxable.  If it is something you intend to build on for yourself or if it is a hunting property or something then that wouldn't be an option.
View Quote
It would be property I will later build a home on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top