Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2021 6:06:45 PM EDT
I have a few large computer case fans that I'm trying to repurpose for various things. The specs printed on the fan are 12V 0.28A.

I decided to recycle a few of my USB phone chargers and used a boost converter (this one in particular) to get them from 5V to 12V. It is working, but the boost converter is running 115-120C. I don't understand why it is running so hot. I'm not anywhere near the max current listed for this converter.

The phone charger can output 5V 1A. Unless I screwed my math up, I should be pulling around 0.75A based on the claimed efficiency of the converter.

Am I missing something?

ETA:
Figured it out. I tried a different phone charger and now it is running 25C. Same specs as the first one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
NM - glad you got it figured out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NM - glad you got it figured out.
View Quote

Thanks for the help though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top