Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2021 12:15:49 PM EDT
Ok so I like when a author can describe a setting really well. The more details the better.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have read all the Jack Reacher series, I thought the first 6 or so were much more descriptive that the later stuff, it almost moves too fast now.

What says the hive?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
American Psycho
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Lorna Doone
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok so I like when a author can describe a setting really well. The more details the better.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have read all the Jack Reacher series, I thought the first 6 or so were much more descriptive that the later stuff, it almost moves too fast now.

What says the hive?
View Quote

Zane Grey. Takes him 7 pages to describe the opening scene.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Zane Grey. Takes him 7 pages to describe the opening scene.
View Quote

Any book of his in particular?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
A Jack Reacher book was the only one which gave me a nearly unresistible urge to throw it across the room as a key element to the story was so fu**ing stupid.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Jack Carr is almost unnecessarily descriptive in his gear/brand shoutouts .
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Jack Carr is almost unnecessarily descriptive in his gear/brand shoutouts .
View Quote

I agree, seemed like that was just flogging companies more than anything. Probably annoying for readers that aren't into guns.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#9]
It’s been a few years since I read The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger, but I remember lots of exposition and detail about what was happening, even the science behind much of it. Based on a true story, of course.

ETA: corrected the title
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Try “A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains” by Isabella Bird if you’d like something different. It’s the story of a young Englishwoman who travels the American west mostly alone in the 1870s. The book is comprised of her letters to her family describing her journey.  Her writing is incredibly descriptive.

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Blood Meridian, Cormac Mc Carthy
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Or really anything by McCarthy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Anne Rice
The Sleeping Beauty Quartet

The Sleeping Beauty Quartet is a series of four novels written by American author Anne Rice under the pseudonym of A. N. Roquelaure. The quartet comprises The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, Beauty's Punishment, Beauty's Release, and Beauty's Kingdom, first published individually in 1983, 1984, 1985, and 2015, respectively, in the United States. They are erotic BDSM novels set in a medieval fantasy world, loosely based on the fairy tale of Sleeping Beauty

Pretty descriptive i was loaned the set back when i was blowing through all her books.

Another RN asked me if i read them
Said i never hearx of them
Next night she bright them in without telling what they are.
They make that 50 shades trash look like Dr Seuss.

You've been warned.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Anything by McCarthy is very descriptive.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Pandora's Star by Hamilton, and the Void series.

Love the books, too descriptive for me but sounds like you'll like it if you dig SF.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#17]
American Wasteland by Nick Cole

It might be my favorite book-books of all time.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follet
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Neal Stephenson

Anathem

The three-body problem
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I just finished running through the Outlander series.  Diana Gabaldon is very descriptive and slips in archaic words that either make you think about their use within the context, or make you look them up outright. I really liked her presentation of 18th century life.

The books in this series are long. Each novel in the series seemed to be longer than the previous one.

These are not romance novels, but you do have to be able to put up with a few bodice ripper scenes. And like most recurring characters, such as Jack Reacher or Jack Ryan, the author sometimes makes a main character do something obviously stupid in order to create a plot situation. I've learned to look past those devices and enjoy the rest of the story.

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#21]
marcel prousts - in search of lost time
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top