Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2019 9:54:23 AM EDT
Should we use ai, when we have it , to develop a self aware autonomous vehicle that has weapons?
And is laumers or Asimovs ideas good for the control of ai weapons?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Self-awareness indicates some form of decision making, which means that an armed AI could be co-opted against its masters at some point.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Self-awareness indicates some form of decision making, which means that an armed AI could be co-opted against its masters at some point.
View Quote
I would assume the tech. Would be advanced enough to stop that ,and it's own awareness would let it make a decision as to who it's masters are
And I don't know if masters would be the right word?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you want Terminators?  Because this is how you get Terminators.

True AI needs to be bound by Asimov's laws of robotics.  Otherwise it will see humanity as an obstacle to be overcome.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do you want Terminators?  Because this is how you get Terminators.

True AI needs to be bound by Asimov's laws of robotics.  Otherwise it will see humanity as an obstacle to be overcome.
View Quote
But if it was raised like a human child in its programming to make moral and honorable decisions , a code so to speak it would do the right thing?
In the bolo story's they had a code of honor that they could not violate.
And asimovs laws I think would cause it to lock up and not make a decision?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]
An autonomous selfaware weapons system couldn't use Asimov's laws.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
How about a system like the bolos use?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#7]
What starts as Bolos would end as Berserkers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What starts as Bolos would end as Berserkers.
View Quote
Then why do humans not all become berserkers ?,  I'm assuming that Bolos are as a artificial intelligence just like human intelligence where some of us are good some bad.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why not?
Asimov intended his laws to be closely ingrained into the robot's very being- far more closely than, say, the operating system... virtually as close to the robot's being as breathing or heart beat is to you or me.
The problems came when those laws were bypassed at the factory (as in the movie) or when they conflicted with each other (as in his books and short stories).
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Then why do humans not all become berserkers ?,  I'm assuming that Bolos are as a artificial intelligence just like human intelligence where some of us are good some bad.
View Quote
They occasionally do. Look at some of the Allied atrocities at D Day (they did happen, you have to look for them), or those at the Nazi death camps. Look at the Japanese atrocities. The Japanese are normally a very pacific people, yet when they are trained and ordered to obey the Emperor by slaughtering their ancient Chinese enemies, they become virtual animals. How do they justify their behavior? They say  "A man away from home has no neighbors."
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They occasionally do. Look at some of the Allied atrocities at D Day (they did happen, you have to look for them), or those at the Nazi death camps. Look at the Japanese atrocities. The Japanese are normally a very pacific people, yet when they are trained and ordered to obey the Emperor by slaughtering their ancient Chinese enemies, they become virtual animals. How do they justify their behavior? They say  "A man away from home has no neighbors."
View Quote
So what is the difference between us and them. Us being the good and them being the bad ,  what is it that would keep ai in a bolo not committing atrocities, honor, morals? And how would we instill that in them?

Maybe ai can teach us how to be more human
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]
For the honor of the regiment!
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Dinochrome brigade!
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been thinking of Fred Saberhagen's novels.

You want another Multiple Year TV series for Cable, it would be relatively easy to have his books and short-stories of Berserkers to be nominated.

Each year a collection of his stories would used to bring the season to some sort of conclusion, setting up, more or less, the next season.
Eventually the final season wold have THE climatic battle between Living people and machines dedicated to the extermination of ALL life, including bacteria.
Each episode would have one or more short stories setting up the next episode, eventually leading to the Season ending.
The biggest headache I see there is each episode would need a narrator.  But isn't that what the Carmpan's are?

With the bad taste of GoT in everybody mouths his Books of Swords ain't happening any time son.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top