Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2019 7:41:53 PM EDT
Boeing's moves to automate its manufacturing processes and streamline the quality assurance process for its airplanes has sparked discussions with union officials over the effect on jobs.

The controversy came to light in the current issue of Aero Mechanic  the newspaper published by the International Association of Machinists' District 751, which represents Boeing assembly workers  and in The Seattle Times.

Union leaders are concerned about a Boeing campaign known as "Quality Transformation," which relies on automated processes such as robotic riveting and precision machining to cut down on manufacturing defects. Boeing says such processes make airplane assembly more "mistake-proof."

Aero Mechanic said Boeing laid out its plans and their potential effect on quality-assurance jobs in November.

"Per the PowerPoint Boeing presented to our union, Boeing estimates their plan will impact 451 QA jobs next year and potentially a similar amount in 2020," the newspaper reported. "This will not only place a heavier burden on our mechanics but will also eliminate the second set of eyes on thousands of work packages."

Boeing currently has more than 3,000 quality inspectors, The Seattle Times said.

Mechanic and Machine: Boeing's Advanced Manufacturing Improves 777 Assembly

During a series of meetings last month, Machinists Union District 751 asked its members to document occasions when they were discouraged from reporting problems on the assembly floor.

"The company is taking advantage of QA and manufacturing working together essentially masking defects and coming back later with a 'risk assessment process' to eliminate inspections where there were no documented defects," the Aero Mechanic report claimed.

The union calls its counter-campaign "Not OK to Cut QA."

More of the story at:  https://www.yahoo.com/news/boeing-machinists-union-tussle-over-223245244.html
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
you mean people are surprised that robotics are advancing and taking more and more jobs?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Another lifetime I was IAM and did inspection work on small engines.

Tough union. This will be difficult to say the least. They will strike.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
That is why unions are terrible.

Go get another job
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you mean people are surprised that robotics are advancing and taking more and more jobs?
View Quote
I believe the 777X wings are all machine made.

But yeah, obviously some operators stick around, but every time its half machine/half human labor, the human portion gets swallowed up in due time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess nobody told the union that automation doesn't replace jobs.  I've been told that here over and over again, these huge companies invest assloads of money in automation and don't intend to get rid of anyone.  Totally true.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
... gonna get some flack for this but, quality control inspections are a non value added process
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Go learn robotics on the companies dime (assuming they offer money for training).  Then your job will still be there when others are phased out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#9]
why are they sticking with rivits?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go learn robotics on the companies dime (assuming they offer money for training).  Then your job will still be there when others are phased out.
View Quote
lol

Perhaps the defining feature of American blue collar work in the last 40 years is companies avoiding assuming training costs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
... gonna get some flack for this but, quality control inspections are a non value added process
View Quote
Why would you get flack for that?  Inspections aren't transforming the part in any way so they don't add any value.

<  Has worked in Field Issues/Product Assurance - a position that literally should not exist.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn right, except if we shipped every defect our techs find to the customer I’m not sure we’d still be in business.  Technically not “value added” but without QA many facilities would fall flat.

I’m a QE btw
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Are these the same unions that support Democrats that want open borders to let more illegal aliens in to take American's jobs?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I doubt Boeing (and its competitors) are going to build their own robotics.  Those robots are German.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
In just about any serious discussion about quality, it always comes back to it being faster, cheaper, and more fool proof to build quality in vs. trying to catch defects during inspection.   It doesn't matter what industry you are talking about, that universally applies.   In some operations robots can significantly reduce variation in assembly which can lead to quality issues.

I think manufacturing jobs are of huge importance to our society and economy, but to keep pace with market expectations for quality, price, etc. our labor has to adapt as well.  Simply doing it the way we've always done it to protect jobs that we've always had is not a sustainable position to take.

If our manufacturing industry doesn't do it, someone else will and then all of the jobs, not just certain departments like QA could be at risk.    For anyone thinking of going into a manufacturing career, it is a great way to make a living but do yourself a favor and make sure you have skills that make you irreplaceable.  Simply being someone to put tab A into slob B and tighten to spec won't cut it anymore.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Robots are not perfect either. Parts wear out, they can forget their position, crash etc.

Automation is nothing new, you either adapt or become obsolete.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Unions still think that businesses exist to provide jobs instead of make money.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Hopefully the robots will eventually replace all of the union employees.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is why unions are terrible.

Go get another job
View Quote
People like you are the reason we have Alexandria Ocasio Cortez
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Use this one simple trick
1-800-ROBOTUNION

Support the right for Robots to strike.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are these the same unions that support Democrats that want open borders to let more illegal aliens in to take American's jobs?
View Quote
Illegal robot immigrants take American jobs
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Leeches think like that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I doubt Boeing (and its competitors) are going to build their own robotics.  Those robots are German.
View Quote
Wrong. Kuka is now Chinese. Bought by Midea a couple of years ago. That was a sad day, much outrage in Deutschland.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wrong. Kuka is now Chinese. Bought by Midea a couple of years ago. That was a sad day, much outrage in Deutschland.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they are made in both places now.  Point is - the robots aren't made by the aerospace companies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#25]
This is the company that farmed out everything to overseas contractors and couldn't bring the 787 in anywhere near on time because it couldn't buy rivets in the US.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah I should totally lose my job because you don’t like unions, I’m not a big union supporter but I happen to work somewhere with a union. I work on the 777x wings, gantries or robots do most of the drilling but there is plenty of manual work to do. Also getting rid of QA is retarded.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Rivets are fast, cheap, and strong. Especially with robotic riveting, fasteners can be installed at rates that rival other fastener systems. The next most popular fastener is the Hi-lok, but to properly install Hi-lok's in a pressurized skin, you need to drill a starter hole, finish ream to a close tolerance fit, start the pin in the hole, drive the pin through the hole with a rivet set, and install a Hi-lock collar on the other side.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#28]
This has serious implications for union bosses.  There won't be enormous pensions for them to "manage".

j/k.  It's hard to see a downside if its bad for unions.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah I should totally lose my job because you don’t like unions, I’m not a big union supporter but I happen to work somewhere with a union. I work on the 777x wings, gantries or robots do most of the drilling but there is plenty of manual work to do. Also getting rid of QA is retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Making processes capable and getting rid of inspectors is a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Perfect example of unions being an anchor on American manufacturing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
User name and post lol
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Damn right, except if we shipped every defect our techs find to the customer I’m not sure we’d still be in business.  Technically not “value added” but without QA many facilities would fall flat.

I’m a QE btw
View Quote
Also a QE here, been doing this for 30 years.  Never had any doubt that if they could convince the FAA or DCMA it wasn’t necessary, I’d be out of a job the next day.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#33]
This was handwriting on the wall 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:06:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:47:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good luck getting customers to buy your $100 million product that hasn't been inspected.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:03:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Leeches think like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leeches think like that.
Yes they do.  Likewise, leech corps think taxpayers should be forced to  bail them out when they fuck up.  Pot, meet kettle.

Quoted:
This is the company that farmed out everything to overseas contractors and couldn't bring the 787 in anywhere near on time because it couldn't buy rivets in the US.
Yeah, okay.  All the prod issues were due to a rivet shortage.
Never mind that the 787 has far fewer rivets than any of the legacy designs.  Certainly had nothing to do with planning & rosey presumptions about outsource mfg outcomes.

Quoted:
This has serious implications for union bosses.  There won't be enormous pensions for them to "manage".

Pension went away in 2016.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Good luck getting customers to buy your $100 million product that hasn't been inspected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to 1950....
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... who said it wasn't getting inspected?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Boeing doesn't even use drawings anymore, at least not for Aerospace. Their CAD models have layers for dimensions and tolerancing. The shop uses that to directly program the mills. Not having a drawing with 3 traditional views to be used when making and inspecting parts freaks me out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 4:34:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the relevant union never managed it anyhow.

He basically stuck both feet in his mouth.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#41]
You can't "Inspect In" Quality.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's not how quality control works. QA is the line between Joe having a bad day and not paying attention to his work, or Jim who has 30 years' experience and "knows how to do his job like the back of his hand" and dosen't think he needs to follow the manual, and the airplane that you are riding in falling out of the sky.

Granted, all my QA experience is in Army aviation. However, the corollary is there. Just yesterday I caught one of the Joes performing a task without even looking at it in the manual...he had been shown how to do it, or assisted in performing the task before. When I asked about the torque required on the force gauge to close the clamp on the shroud he was installing, I got the "deer in the headlights" look, with the line "there is no torque, I've NEVER used a force gauge when installing this part!".

My reply: "that just tells me that you haven't even looked at the task in the IETM."

To say that QA is completely unnecessary is disingenuous, even if we are talking about robotics. One misplaced decimal point in the manufacturing program and you have an end product that does not meet tolerances.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 5:56:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's not how quality control works. QA is the line between Joe having a bad day and not paying attention to his work, or Jim who has 30 years' experience and "knows how to do his job like the back of his hand" and dosen't think he needs to follow the manual, and the airplane that you are riding in falling out of the sky.

Granted, all my QA experience is in Army aviation. However, the corollary is there. Just yesterday I caught one of the Joes performing a task without even looking at it in the manual...he had been shown how to do it, or assisted in performing the task before. When I asked about the torque required on the force gauge to close the clamp on the shroud he was installing, I got the "deer in the headlights" look, with the line "there is no torque, I've NEVER used a force gauge when installing this part!".

My reply: "that just tells me that you haven't even looked at the task in the IETM."

To say that QA is completely unnecessary is disingenuous, even if we are talking about robotics. One misplaced decimal point in the manufacturing program and you have an end product that does not meet tolerances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NVM. It's not worth it.

Just suffice it to say that you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground, and I have a WHOLE lot more Quality experience than you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#44]
What some here do not seem to understand is robots do not go to work out of the box. They need specialized tooling/fixtures made for their 'heads' for each operation, then they need to be programed for every movement (the robot manufactures cannot provide this). So the repetitive jobs they replace still need new hires (people) for programing and fixture designing and making. Then they need lots of maintenance along with constant adjustments to program...but can look really cool on a 30 second video . But anyone who works with daily knows the other side of the coin.

When you are using a robot to put a part on a pin on a Mori Seki CNC mill for example 1/1000 of an inch if off location can mean it drops the part and causes a 'fault' that someone has to come over and reset. Things like temperature can effect them as things like the floor can move a few thousandths when temps change outside or a large door in the shop is opened, again throwing them off, so factories must have climate control including A/C when doing precision placing of precision parts.

So it's not always practical for companies that don't have deep pockets to use them in every instance (sometimes you'll never get your investment back) and you don't just buy one, unbox it and let it go to work as there is a lot more involved in their use then some might think.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Fuck the unions. Im currently sitting on a job with union pipefitters and ironworkers 6 months behind schedule. Laziest pieces of trash ive ever had to work with in my life. All they do is bitch and steal tools.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I guess nobody told the union that automation doesn't replace jobs.  I've been told that here over and over again, these huge companies invest assloads of money in automation and don't intend to get rid of anyone.  Totally true.  
View Quote
No dummy, you’ve been told that robots do not destroy jobs as a whole, there is a reason why new tech is called distruptive and not destructive. learn the difference, learn some English.

what dumb Luddites always forget is that it’s people that create jobs, not robots, soon these people will be finding and creating new avaneues for making money off other people.

Take a look at the service sector for where people have been going to in the last several decades, we are all switching away to a service sector (aka first world problem solving jobs) more and more as automation frees us from more and more physical and mundane jobs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can drill them out and replace the affected components. A human visual or optical camera inspection can also tell you if they are set right.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#48]
I would like to know about the QA program for the company that designed and manufactured these robots. You know, for program comparisons.
If a robot manufacturing company finds QA is important in their process why wouldn't the end user/customer?
That is an assumption that the robot company uses a QA program for it's own manufacturing and then uses it as a selling point for customers to reduce their inspection points cause like, it's a robot so...

Jeep JL frames were welded by a robot and they are breaking the front track bar brackets. At least you can pull over in a Jeep. An aircraft? not so much.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am quality assurance in aircraft manufacturing.  When a person screws up a hole it's all fucked up.
When a machine screws up a hole, it's 100 holes, either wrong size or wrong location.  Both of which are because the person operating the machine did not follow procedures.

I'd rather have machines drilling.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would like to know about the QA program for the company that designed and manufactured these robots. You know, for program comparisons.
If a robot manufacturing company finds QA is important in their process why wouldn't the end user/customer?
That is an assumption that the robot company uses a QA program for it's own manufacturing and then uses it as a selling point for customers to reduce their inspection points cause like, it's a robot so...

Jeep JL frames were welded by a robot and they are breaking the front track bar brackets. At least you can pull over in a Jeep. An aircraft? not so much.
View Quote
Those jeep weld were done by a robot? I saw a video of that. How could a robot do that bad of a job? There were missing welds IIRC.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top