Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2023 2:26:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:36:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Isenhelm] [#1]
you need bass traps
and/or a very dense barrier between the rooms
also set you speakers on isolators so they aren't vibrating through floor/wall (eta-looks like the sub is on some sort of isolator, foam)

those foam tiles wont stop the bass, they help keep down higher frequency reflections in the room though which is nice.

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Isenhelm:

those foam tiles wont stop the bass, they help keep down higher frequency reflections in the room though which is nice.
View Quote

I was going to post pretty much this. Those tiles you see aren't to prevent sound from penetrating, they are there to improve the acoustics within a room. See how they are shaped funny? All those angles? It's very beneficial when it comes to reflecting sounds. The wedges are another variant. I once used a producer called auralex sheetblock. It was spendy and super heavy. The website had instructions on how to best use it when constructing walls.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:06:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:19:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Low frequencies are much harder to stop than high frequencies. You need to decouple the sub from the room, which can get very expensive.  The sound vibrates the air in the room, which sets up sympathetic vibrations in any rigid object connected to it (floor and ceiling joists, wall studs, etc.)  

Probably the best thing you can do is build out a second wall between your room and your son's room.  Float the new wall by setting the bottom of the studs on thick rubber strips.  Attach them to your wall only, preferably using wood dowels.  Don't attach them to the ceiling.  Fill the space with sound absorbing material.  If you have the money, line the interior of the new space with lead sheeting.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Headphones would seem like the obvious answer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Im thinking you need some good headphones.

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#8]
replace your speakers with in ears and a bass shaker
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:15:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bounce19712] [#10]
Block house,  have the kid play his own music,  move to the shed….  Longer house?

Good luck,   Headphones was already said.

I have a wood home.  The best thing so far has been the sound bar relocated to as close to your head as possible.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#12]
What your asking is not easily possible due to physics. In order for objects to reduce/absorb sound, they need to be of similar size to the sound's wavelength. 100 Hz bass frequencies are roughly 10 feet in wavelength, 200 Hz is roughly 5 feet. So you'd need some really, really thick walls to be effective.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:34:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#14]
staggered stud sound wall isolation framing.

Surprisingly, my house has this on the street side.  I found out when running cable.

Lead sheets under drywall is also a thing.

Simplest thing is to buy a high quality set of audio headphones. Wife wears them when watching chick flick soap opera type drama series on the toob.  It keeps my sanity.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By eracer:
Low frequencies are much harder to stop than high frequencies. You need to decouple the sub from the room, which can get very expensive.  The sound vibrates the air in the room, which sets up sympathetic vibrations in any rigid object connected to it (floor and ceiling joists, wall studs, etc.)  

Probably the best thing you can do is build out a second wall between your room and your son's room.  Float the new wall by setting the bottom of the studs on thick rubber strips.  Attach them to your wall only, preferably using wood dowels.  Don't attach them to the ceiling.  Fill the space with sound absorbing material.  If you have the money, line the interior of the new space with lead sheeting.
View Quote
This.

From years of building Competition level car Audio systems and home theater systems, I don't think you are going to get what you want for what you would want to spend. I think the best you could do, is acoustic panels (or Bass traps) on sides of the wall between you, but I don't even think that is going to be worth it.

You'd be better off and cheaper to build a tiny home/outbuilding several feet from the house and either put his office in it, or your man cave in it.  Bass Travels.  

Can he wear headphones, while on the clock? So that he only hears who ever is on the phone/
Thats what I did when I worked from home and had a remote office down in Scott City, near Cape G. MY daughter or wife was always cranking my shit upstairs and no matter where I was in my house it really bugged me.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 3:54:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aeroworksxp] [#18]
Not going to happen unless you turn your home into some weird foam castle for marginal results.  Ever wonder why some guy in a car with subwoofers makes your house shake from down the road?  All that distance, house siding, insulation, and furniture between you and that car didn't stop shit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By eracer:

View Quote

Years ago we toured a model home that had a theatre off the main living area. Even with sound cranked up loud, you couldn't hear it right on other side of wall. Builder explained he de-coupled the sound with a false wall with air gap. The two walls don't touch each other at all. There's more to it than that as they also had a huge picture window and you couldn't hear the sound through that either.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Nothing to add other than to say you are a good dad who raised a good son. .

Two adults working together and compromising seems rare these days.

Good luck and I’m looking forward to the updates.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top