Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 3:57:24 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a new laptop. Just want a cheap basic  machine to run office, turbo tax, shit like that. No gaming or heavy computing.

I'd just go buy something at Walmart or best buy off the shelf but the problem is these machines are so fucking choked with bloatware they boarder on unusable.

Is there anywhere to get a plain old basic laptop with just a clean install of windows?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Windows 10 has a built in Fresh Start feature.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy laptop, reinstall clean windows. Done.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a laptop format the HHD or buy SSD then buy a license off eBay for $6-$8.  Reload windows. No bloat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

> bloat free
> Windows 10
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fresh start is available for Windows 10 versions prior to 2004. For version 2004 and after, Fresh start functionality has been moved to Reset this PC.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback so far. I've heard about this fresh start thing but I'm also hearing it doesn't get rid of ALL the bloat.

Also, do t you have to spend some coin and jump through some hoops to do a fresh install yourself?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Buy a laptop format the HHD or buy SSD then buy a license off eBay for $6-$8.  Reload windows. No bloat.
View Quote
You can reuse the license off of your current laptop.  No need to get a new one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Win 10 other than Enterprise edition will have crapware like Candy Crush, etc.

Enterprise is the only real way to have a crap free experience.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Off the shelf, no unless you go with linux.

IIRC Dell offered to do a bloatware free notebook for an added $50 but that was years ago.

I just get the new system and the first boot is literally to an install disk for a new OS.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#10]
First two post nailed it.  If in doubt FORMAT C:/X
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Get CCleaner from Piriform. Easy to remove all that trash. Then install Malwarebytes. It is actually worth getting the paid version of CCleaner but the free version is good too.

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#12]
You can reinstall Windows without buying a new key, the serial should be stored in the bios and read automatically when installing.
Just need to download all the drivers for your laptop from the manufacturers site before installing, and a flash drive to create the install media. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Then use "ShutUp10" to turn off a bunch of the microsoft junk.

Also pretty sure the microsoft store sells laptops with plain Windows, or at least they used to.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
You can always uninstall the boatware...  But no there generally isn't a shit ware free version of new computers.  Guess they make too much from do it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#14]
You know this isn't hard to resolve don't you??????

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can reinstall Windows without buying a new key, the serial should be stored in the bios and read automatically when installing.
Just need to download all the drivers for your laptop from the manufacturers site before installing, and a flash drive to create the install media. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Also pretty sure the microsoft store sells laptops with plain Windows, or at least they used to.
View Quote

Done this a million times. Download a clean copy of Windows 10 to a USB drive and wipe the drive & re-install. Clean & will automatically activate.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Just got a CC update email

They always have deals for PRO.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife's new Lenovo wasn't bad. I can't remember which model it is.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Chromebook. Use the TurboTax cloud website.

I know, fuck Google, but a Chromebook is as bloat free and basic as you're going to get off the shelf.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#19]
New laptop or not. I end up installing/buying Windows 10 Pro (Gray Market Keys are only $3-5 and I've never had issues with activation)

This solves the bloatware issue.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I also remember this but have not purchased one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#21]
As long as the windows key is stored on the bios, you can just load the latest version of win10 and nothing else.

Did this with my Dell laptop when I replaced the SSD, no Dell stuff left.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Once it's activated its licensed. No need to buy anything.
Just download the same version of Windows it shipped with from MSFT, format, reload.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#23]
@adrock1

As mentioned just download an ISO of Win 10 and run from USB (use the Media Creation Tool). BUT, do NOT have your internet plugged in/wifi connected when you set up Win 10!!!!!
If you do, it will create a Microsoft online account by default, instead of a traditional local user account. Choose "I don't have internet" when it prompts you. It will then prompt you with some BS crap like "Hey, you're gonna miss out on so much without internet, Bud!", skip and hit next.

Also, once you have all your personal software installed and do all your Windows updates, get CCleaner (mentioned by another user above) and run the Cleaner, and then the Registry cleaner (it will ask if you want to back up the registry changes before you do it, click Yes, just in case. I've used it literally thousands of times on hundreds of PCs and have never needed to rollback, though). In the CCleaner options, disable the Smartscanning real-time stuff to avoid being pestered.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, although you're still stuck with that Win10 virus.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#25]
  Linux Ubuntu

Ubuntu download
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@adrock1

As mentioned just download an ISO of Win 10 and run from USB (use the Media Creation Tool). BUT, do NOT have your internet plugged in/wifi connected when you set up Win 10!!!!!
If you do, it will create a Microsoft online account by default, instead of a traditional local user account. Choose "I don't have internet" when it prompts you. It will then prompt you with some BS crap like "Hey, you're gonna miss out on so much without internet, Bud!", skip and hit next.

Also, once you have all your personal software installed and do all your Windows updates, get CCleaner (mentioned by another user above) and run the Cleaner, and then the Registry cleaner (it will ask if you want to back up the registry changes before you do it, click Yes, just in case. I've used it literally thousands of times on hundreds of PCs and have never needed to rollback, though). In the CCleaner options, disable the Smartscanning real-time stuff to avoid being pestered.
View Quote

Sounding like this is the route I'll have to go.

Can anyone recommend a decent no frills laptop. Again, don't need a powerhouse.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Microsoft Surface Laptop
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Microsoft brand laptops purchased from Microsoft do not have any junk pre-installed.

Except for Windows.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Install Linux Mint.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Download Windows 10 installer. Create installation media, thumb drive works. Run the Windows 10 Decrapifier script to get rid of the bloat MS includes with Windows.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
This

I do it will all new computers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I recently bought a Win 10 machine.

Fucking ARM processor.

Yeah.....fuck my life.  You know how much shit won't run on an ARM, which you wouldn't think would be architecture dependent?

Lots.  Like VPN clients, cloud storage clients (Dropbox, Box, etc) and on and on.  Some software insists the thing is in "Windows S Mode", but it's not.  

Whomever designed this thing should be given a devil's tail torture device.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Spend around $500-$700 on one of the following

Acer Aspire
Lenovo IdeaPad
HP Pavilion
ASUS VivoBook

Or buy a Macbook M1 (around a grand).

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Download Windows 10 installer. Create installation media, thumb drive works. Run the Windows 10 Decrapifier script to get rid of the bloat MS includes with Windows.
View Quote

"Decrapifier"
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:04:14 AM EDT
[#36]
You can also go in the boot menu and disable all the shit you don't want if you don't want to / can't reinstall windows.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm in the market for a new laptop. Just want a cheap basic  machine to run office, turbo tax, shit like that. No gaming or heavy computing.

I'd just go buy something at Walmart or best buy off the shelf but the problem is these machines are so fucking choked with bloatware they boarder on unusable.

Is there anywhere to get a plain old basic laptop with just a clean install of windows?
View Quote
go to MicroCenter and search/ask about their refurbs. They’re outstanding, clean instal w Genuine Licensed Windows and cost much much less than MSRP.

Most places will also do it for you for $50 which is absurd.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:12:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I recently bought a Win 10 machine.

Fucking ARM processor.

Yeah.....fuck my life.  You know how much shit won't run on an ARM, which you wouldn't think would be architecture dependent?

Lots.  Like VPN clients, cloud storage clients (Dropbox, Box, etc) and on and on.  Some software insists the thing is in "Windows S Mode", but it's not.  

Whomever designed this thing should be given a devil's tail torture device.
View Quote
All pre-compiled software is architecture dependent. And the Windows world is nearly 100% x86/AMD64 right from the start. Why would you expect every PC software developer in the world to tweak and recompile their code(assuming it is something still being actively developed/maintained) to run on a processor that has very little to no market share?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:14:24 AM EDT
[#39]
It doesn't matter, they all have it to a degree.
Turn it on sign in, connect WIFI, and go to settings Type in "Fresh Start", follow the prompts. It will give you a fresh download of Windows, a list of things to "Reinstall", write them down and consider if you need them at a later date. Mostly just toss the paper in a drawer and throw it away in a month or two. Install Classic Shell, unless you like the cell phone look, and I don't, and stay away from MS apps as much as you can. Be warned Edge is very intrusive. You can work around it, but it wants to be there and it is impossible to uninstall and keep it that way.
Let it update. There has been a few service pack type updates over the past year or so, and it may or may not have them. Turning off updates isn't a very good idea.
Have fun and get an machine with some decent hardware. I must admit, as much as I hate HP, this inexpensive machine has been a stallion for me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:24:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Win 10 other than Enterprise edition will have crapware like Candy Crush, etc.

Enterprise is the only real way to have a crap free experience.
View Quote

I love Win 10 LTSC and the only Win 10 I'll use. NO bloatware and no big feature updates, just security updates. Ebay can be your friend.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:26:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Buy laptop from the Microsoft store.
No bloatware installed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:51:33 AM EDT
[#42]
The ThinkPad X1, that my wife just got was pretty clean from any garbage.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:56:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Buy a Dell business machine, no bloatware.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Buy laptop from the Microsoft store.
No bloatware installed.
View Quote

Except windows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top