Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 10/12/2021 9:05:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:08:33 AM EDT
I am going with good lawsuit, I think the neighbor should be added to it as well. What are the chances she is a middle aged white liberal women?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:09:42 AM EDT
We need "looser pays" tort reform
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:10:21 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StampCollector87:
I am going with good lawsuit, I think the neighbor should be added to it as well. What are the chances she is a middle aged white liberal women?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:10:29 AM EDT
QI is BS and needs to go away.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:11:16 AM EDT
I'm guessing they won't be putting an offer in on that house.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:11:59 AM EDT
Looks like Samuel has a pretty nice college fund in the works.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:13:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:13:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ricko1:
I'm guessing they won't be putting an offer in on that house.
View Quote

I’d still buy the house (if it’s what I wanted) and make the neighbor who called the cops live in shame.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:14:21 AM EDT
Not a neighborhood I would want to live in.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:14:54 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Mistakes happen.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:16:16 AM EDT
View Quote

Aaaah yes. Arfcom.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:17:48 AM EDT
Yep same thing happened to me In my parents home when I was 17 or so. Parents left for vacation and had neighbor letting dog out. I was to go with them but stayed behind for an extra day.

Neighbor didn’t know that, and I had parked my car in the garage when my parents left.  He came to walk dog and heard someone upstairs and called PD.  

I shit my pants when I heard someone inside our secure locked house down stairs. Glanced down the stairs and saw a stripped pant leg of state trooper as he saw my leg. It was like 4-5 cops stacked in a row guns out.

He was like “face down” and I could see down his barrel and he had his finger on the trigger. I was so spread eagle with my fingers apart so wide it wasn’t even funny yelling “I live here I live here”.  Thankfully the 2nd or 3rd cop I knew and vouched for me right as the first cop got to me to cuff me.

Neighbor had given the cops the key so they could get in and I didn’t hear them.  Im as white as can be.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:19:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:20:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2021 9:22:12 AM EDT by FightingHellfish]
Originally Posted By Fugitive:
Looks like Samuel has a pretty nice college fund in the works.
View Quote

For what?

You can detain on reasonable suspicion.  The complainant made a confirmed eye witness identification of the alleged suspect that was stated to be a prior recent named offender.  The officers used reasonable force for the apparent crime of an active burglary in progress.  They investigated, quickly determined the facts, and released the detained subjects.  They were professional and apologized  for the inconvenience.

That's how its supposed to work.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:21:06 AM EDT
So a neighbor calls the cops saying that the guy who broke into the house before is breaking into the house again, the cops come, take them into custody, and then release them without charges when it is determined that these were not the same guys and had permission to be there and this is a lawsuit how? Seems that everything went as it should--cops investigate a potential crime and suspects are released after determining that there was no crime done and nobody was beaten, shot, or abused.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:21:07 AM EDT
Will the "they all look the same" defense work here?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:21:34 AM EDT
Looks pretty suspicious

3 black men entering an unoccupied home that was broken into before .

I side with the neighbor and cops.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:22:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Everyone is always looking for "mah lotto payout" these days.
View Quote

Gee, maybe Police Departments should factor that into their training and procedures.

"Remember that Civil Rights are important, guys.  I mean, we don't care about offending or illegally detaining anyone, but some of them might sue us!"
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:22:07 AM EDT
The caller needs to be added to the lawsuit. Further proof eyewitnesses don't know shit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:22:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

For what?

You can detain on reasonable suspicion.  The complainant made a confirmed eye witness identification of the alleged suspects.  The officers used reasonable force for the apparent crime of an active burglary in progress.  They investigated, quickly determined the facts, and released the detained subjects.  They were professional and apologized  for the inconvenience.

That's how its supposed to work.

View Quote

Magic Skin Pigmentation, and the industry that has arisen around it, laughs uproariously at your logic.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:24:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By WhyTanFox:

Gee, maybe Police Departments should factor that into their training and procedures.

"Remember that Civil Rights are important, guys.  I mean, we don't care about offending or illegally detaining anyone, but some of them might sue us!"
View Quote

Whose civil rights were violated? Police have authority to detain if there is reasonable suspicion a crime is in progress.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:29:51 AM EDT
The caller needs to be the only defendant in the lawsuit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:31:21 AM EDT
So “see something say something” unless the something you see involves a POC.  Is that how this works?

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:32:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2021 2:14:23 PM EDT by The_Beer_Slayer]
coc
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:34:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By einnor1040:
QI is BS and needs to go away.
View Quote

This.

Its been far too abused and has perpetuated a system of abuse.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:34:52 AM EDT
This isn't the same guy, but I wonder if it's similar...
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:35:59 AM EDT
They were detained, not arrested, and the property had a recent prior history.  Maybe the realtor should wear a uniform or have a sign on his car.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:36:01 AM EDT
Yeah, I don’t think this one is going anywhere, but who knows in this day and age.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:38:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2021 10:32:53 AM EDT by SWIRE]
View Quote

I'm good with the lawsuit as well.  I don't think it unreasonable to expect a police department to announce themselves and ask what the people are doing in the house in this type of scenario.  The neighbor should be included for making a false report.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:38:48 AM EDT
Calling the cops is ok but why were they handcuffed?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:44:15 AM EDT
Dress like a realtor next time idiot

Want to live in a polite society, learn it's rules and follow them
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:45:01 AM EDT
Bullshit lawsuit is bullshit.  I wouldn't expect the cops to do anything different if the realtor and clients were white, or Asian.  If I was touring a home with a realtor, and I matched the same description as a guy who was just arrested for burglarizing the home LAST WEEK, then I'd expect to receive the same treatment.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:46:10 AM EDT
The GD replies never amaze me anymore...

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:50:59 AM EDT
It pays to be professional.

Dispatch could have confirmed the (via interweb) that the person was an real estate agent.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:51:55 AM EDT
Hard to muster outrage for this story once you read the details.  
Only thing you could argue is that maybe the cops should’ve figured out these weren’t the same people sooner.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:53:11 AM EDT
If the pic in OP is the realtor, I can see why the whole thing was suspect. I've never had a realtor that wasn't dressed, at least, in business casual.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:53:15 AM EDT

Everything goes exactly as it should, and some GDers still want to find any reason to hate the cops
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:54:53 AM EDT
exactly what QI is for.....a very reasonable response to the information reported at the time and they were released without incident once everything was sorted out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:56:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:58:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ceetee:
Bullshit lawsuit is bullshit.  I wouldn't expect the cops to do anything different if the realtor and clients were white, or Asian.  If I was touring a home with a realtor, and I matched the same description as a guy who was just arrested for burglarizing the home LAST WEEK, then I'd expect to receive the same treatment.
View Quote

I call bullshit on this.  Cops pull up and there is a house with a for sale sign in the front yard.  Did the Real Estate Agent greet them with his business card and ID? If so it should have stopped right there. Jumping straight to cuffs is so fucking wrong.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:03:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2021 10:05:23 AM EDT by Tillerman]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:

I call bullshit on this.  Cops pull up and there is a house with a for sale sign in the front yard.  Did the Real Estate Agent greet them with his business card and ID? If so it should have stopped right there. Jumping straight to cuffs is so fucking wrong.
View Quote

Clearly you didn't read the sequence of events
Not to mention the fact that listed homes are frequent targets for criminals
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:05:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

Everything goes exactly as it should, and some GDers still want to find any reason to hate the cops
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:06:17 AM EDT
This is a stupid lawsuit.

The cops only had the information given by the caller.

The caller said that someone who had been arrested for breaking into this home previously had returned. It doesn't matter that he was wrong. This is what the cops knew at the time.

They arrived, investigated, and determined that the caller was wrong.

They released all three and apologized.

What do you whant them to do different?

I also don't believe there is any cause of action against the caller. They were wrong, but likely reasonable in their actions.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:07:38 AM EDT
Based on the description of the call, that lawsuit is a loser. Police even called back to verify with the complainant? Yeah, no. Anyone would have been cuffed in that situation. That's not on the police. They can only work with what they have in front of them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:09:09 AM EDT
After such an experience, I wonder what type of stereotypical tenants move in.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:09:21 AM EDT

Aaaah yes the bootlickers of Arfcom.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

Aaaah yes. Arfcom.

Aaaah yes the bootlickers of Arfcom.
This isn't a bootlicker situation. This is fundamental legal question. It literally isn't debatable. But you go on being the coolest uneducated person in the room.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:10:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

I'm good with the lawsuit as well. Given that it happened in Wyoming there is a 91.44% the caller was white.   I don't think it unreasonable to expect a police department to announce themselves and ask what the people are doing in the house in this type of scenario.  The neighbor should be included for making a false report.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

I'm good with the lawsuit as well. Given that it happened in Wyoming there is a 91.44% the caller was white.   I don't think it unreasonable to expect a police department to announce themselves and ask what the people are doing in the house in this type of scenario.  The neighbor should be included for making a false report.

Not how the law works. I'm glad the legal system doesn't work on feelings, myself.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:10:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 4v50:
It pays to be professional.

Dispatch could have confirmed the (via interweb) that the person was an real estate agent.
View Quote
They did. Why do you think they were released?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:11:04 AM EDT

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ceetee:

I call bullshit on your calling bullshit.  If YOU were a cop, and if YOU got a call that the guy who had just been busted for burglary had returned to burglarize the same house again, how would YOU treat the suspects?  Would you just take their word for it about who they were?  

I have zero issues with cops temporarily cuffing burglary suspects until their ID can be established.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:12:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Tillerman:
We need "looser pays" tort reform
View Quote

Yes we do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.