Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2018 6:25:42 AM EDT
Are there?  All I could find is:
$75 off squarewave 200 at bakersgas.com makes it $1590
$400 off diversion 180 from any dealer makes it $1825

I was looking at the cheap imports, but I don't want to risk the time sink of dealing with possible problems.  Lincoln and miller both have local service centers.  I wasn't planning on spending so much, but since both do AC I'm splurging.

I'm leaning towards the Lincoln for a couple extra features and having plugs for the torch/ground.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Black Friday was last Friday FYI... you're late to the party and most deals will be over at this point.

That being said, HTP usually runs a deal on their Inverter Tig welder every November. It's not a "cheapie import" in the sense that it's coming from an Asian country with poor component selection & QC. It is, however, a European import with an American company standing behind it.

If I recall correctly the deal is a few hundred off the ~$3400 price plus $200 in accessories. I'm not sure if it's still going on or not.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
"the good stuff" never goes on sale much, You may be able to find a deal on used or demo machines at your local dealers needing to bring in the new machines.
I would love one too but not this year.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Everlast still has 20% off as of this morning. Yeah it's made in China but it seems to get decent reviews. The company is based in the US I think. https://www.everlastgenerators.com/
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everlast still has 20% off as of this morning.
View Quote
just what I don't need, more motivation to cheap out.  I'm moving back to states before xmas, I have to decide soon!

I'm a cheapskate, but I just don't want the hassle and wasted time if I get a lemon.  Time is what I have the least of!
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I resisted the everlast sale, glad I did.  Ordering my Lincoln when I get home tonight!

https://promotions.lincolnelectric.com/red-hot-winter-deal/

Bakersgas.com has a $60 coupon code on their website, no sales tax and free shipping makes it $1601.  Rebate is $415 and my credit card gives 2.5% cash back back for a total price of $1146.  I'm pretty excited.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I resisted the everlast sale, glad I did.  Ordering my Lincoln when I get home tonight!

https://promotions.lincolnelectric.com/red-hot-winter-deal/

Bakersgas.com has a $60 coupon code on their website, no sales tax and free shipping makes it $1601.  Rebate is $415 and my credit card gives 2.5% cash back back for a total price of $1146.  I'm pretty excited.
View Quote
@Morgan321 or anyone that knows, does this welder have high frequency start?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn....that's a good deal.  Of course I have to be in the process of movingbto another state, starting a new job, and looking to buy a house when it happens
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
The squarewave 200?  It is AC/DC, thus the name squarewave.
Manual is on Lincoln's website.

You also get a free Lincoln helmet from bakersgas.com!
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has nothing to do with the wave.

There are three types of start, scratch, lift and high frequency.  High frequency does not require you to touch the tungsten to the work.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I"m 99% certain it does have HF start.  I learned on the older version of this that certainly had it, and I've never seen a machine with an amptrol without HF start.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I"m 99% certain it does have HF start.  I learned on the older version of this that certainly had it, and I've never seen a machine with an amptrol without HF start.
View Quote
The reviews I read said it did.  I use a dynasty 350 at work and it's the only machine I have experience with.  I went ahead and ordered this one.  It's a damn good deal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It has nothing to do with the wave.
View Quote
Hf start is a big feature on DC only machines because they can't make AC, so hf start requires extra components.  
AC machines obviously can make AC power, so hf start is a given since no extra components are required.

I have never seen an AC/DC Machine without hf start.  Does such a machine exist?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 1:22:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hf start is a big feature on DC only machines because they can't make AC, so hf start requires extra components.  
AC machines obviously can make AC power, so hf start is a given since no extra components are required.

I have never seen an AC/DC Machine without hf start.  Does such a machine exist?
View Quote
Yes.
Old school tig were scratch-start for both ac/dc.

You get a ac/dc stick welder.
Buy a air-cooled tig torch, and add gas/amperage via adapter that connects to machine, other goes to ground clamp.
It did require an "arc stabilizer" box for ac (aluminum), but both were scratch start.
I used this exact system in the form of a hand me down set-up.

Click the link below for a thread discussing this.

Click me for TIG buzz-box thread.

Found a pic of a buzz-box with a high-freq arc stabilizer for AC welding.

_
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]
To be fair, you're describing tig welding with a stick welder that wasn't intended for tig.

Whatever, the Lincoln is hf start and the rebate makes it a smoking deal.  none of the "imported" machines even come close to the cost/feature of this, you can't even get cheaper with an everlast!  If you're in the market for it, now is the time to buy.

Mine arrives tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:36:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Did they give you a shipping notification?  How did you go about getting the free helmet, I didn't see that offer on their site.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]
The video is three years old, but it looks to be a good machine.

Tig Welding Aluminum with a Lincoln Square Wave 200
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#17]
The free helmet was from bakers gas, but it didn't come with the welder.  Don't know if it will come separately?

The welder was in the sealed lincoln box and the 230v cable was missing.

Talk about a crappy start!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The free helmet was from bakers gas, but it didn't come with the welder.  Don't know if it will come separately?

The welder was in the sealed lincoln box and the 230v cable was missing.

Talk about a crappy start!
View Quote
Did they send you a shipping notification?  I paid for mine Sunday and they haven't emailed me anything but a receipt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered over the weekend, Got a ups tracking number Monday afternoon and it arrived today.  I selected the free shipping.  
I'll get over the free cheapie helmet, but the missing 230v cable is annoying!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I checked my spam folder, apparently mine arrives tomorrow.  Hopefully they resolve your cord issue.  I didn't see a free helmet offer, it would be nice to have for the price.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I did the online service inquiry yesterday(sunday), they emailed me first thing this morning (monday) and are mailing me the cord.  
I don't even have a 240v outlet yet, I looked for the cord to ensure I get the correct outlet to install!

Stuff happens, I'll get over it.  FYI the only Baker's Gas receipt I got was taped to the outside of the box - make sure you keep it for the rebate!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Is it dual voltage?  I don't think my invertec came with a 230 cable either, but that was 6-7yrs ago.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#23]
It is dual voltage.  Mine came in today.  It looks like everything is there including both cables.  I thought these came with a flexible torch head but mine is fixed.

I submitted my rebate claim and it was approved within an hour.  Lincoln is on top of their rebate game.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Did my rebate this afternoon, approved before dinner.  Picked up argon, I'll be welding tonight.  
Smoking deal, if anybody is fence sitting now is the time to jump!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Good deal, I'm going to pick up argon tomorrow.  I don't need a big tank so I'm getting a 40 cubic footer.  Airgas quotes me $125 for a full one and exchange will only be around $35ish depending on the market.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Good deal, I'm going to pick up argon tomorrow.  I don't need a big tank so I'm getting a 40 cubic footer.  Airgas quotes me $125 for a full one and exchange will only be around $35ish depending on the market.
View Quote
Tig tends to eat up gas, especially if you are starting and stopping often.  Pre and post flow are something you need to consider.

I would start with an 80cf.  You are going to end up getting a larger one anyway, why not buy it now?

If you are set on the 40, at least you will have a backup bottle when you go larger.

I would look at Craigslist for cylinders.  Last time I looked I think 125cf were going for $150.  Just make sure that the collar is stamped "Customer Owned" or is blank.

Blank example.

Attachment Attached File

Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Enough for this thread.  
My torch flexes.  Not much, but it does.

This thing works amazing on 120v, can't wait to get my 240v power cord and spend a weekend learning.  
I've never welded anything in my life.  I've watched all of YouTube and read a few textbooks, the time to practice has arrived.  I've chatted up the welder in our machine shop at work, he had plenty of good advice.  He said thin metal makes you good...

I started on 0.04 thick 4130 sheet scraps  Biggest problem was blowing out the edges, otherwise it didn't seem to be a big deal.  I then tried a large chunk of mild steel - I could weld it on 45deg and near vertical no problem.

My biggest problem I think is that I didn't clean the scrap I was welding on - I will pick up a grinder and some acetone this weekend!  Otherwise I think I did OK for my first 2 hour of self-taught tig welding.  The aluminum wrench is 3/8 thick, I don't have any AL filler and just wanted to see if it was feasible on 110v - it definitely is.

My progress is from left to right, all is steel except for the aluminum wrench,  Recall I've never welded anything in my life, just read books and watched all of YouTube.

I may have no idea what I'm talking about, but this squarewave 200 is amazing for the price with this rebate, I recommend taking advantage of this rebate if you're on the fence.

Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Don't grind your tungsten on the same wheel as other steel if you're welding AL.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#29]
A couple of years ago Lincoln had the GaragePak deal and I was able to pick up a SquareWave 200 and PowerMig 210MP with the starter packs for $1999.  I've spent a fair amount of time welding with far more expensive TIG machines, and was very pleased with the SW on both steel and aluminum.  I did end up replacing the gas regulator that came with the TIG machine though.  I was getting random porosity and couldn't get it to go away by changing anything else.  The one that came with the machine just felt cheap to begin with, especially compared to a good regulator.  The new argon regulator fixed it right up and the porosity went away.

I ordered some parts from the torch from USA Weld.  The prices were decent and I set myself up with an assortment of sizes of collets, collet bodies, nozzles and a couple of short back caps.  I ordered electrodes from Midwest Tungsten on Amazon.

Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I got around to playing around with the welder briefly.  I ran four strings at 70 amps using 3/32 mild steel filler rod.  I had the machine on 120 volts, I bought the stuff to run a 240 outlet that I'll get around to this weekend.  This is also what the welder looks like on the $30 harbor freight welder cart.

https://imgur.com/gallery/WWreR9R
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Got my missing  Power cord in the mail today, so far I'm a fan of Lincoln.  
I've used almost half of a 120 tank of gas and I think I'm getting OK results on thin stainless for a few hours of practice:

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I haven't done too much with mine.  I made a filler rod holder to bolt to my cart.

A buddy gave me a Bernard 3500ss water cooler with a new pump.  Now I need to find a deal on a water cooled torch.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Only complaint I could make so far is that the fan runs all the time and it's loud.  Otherwise couldn't ask for anything more.

Anybody got their rebate yet?  I'm at two weeks today and nothing so far on the rebate that takes "1-2 weeks".
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#34]
No rebate yet and yeah that fan is pretty loud.  My complaint about it is that the arc doesn't seem as focused as the dynasty 350 I use at work, but the dynasty cost six times as much.  It could just be how inverter machines are, I don't know.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I inquired about the rebates being overdue and they sent the below as an email reply.  
Great welder and I still like Lincoln, but this is still lame.  I guess I waited 2+ months for the first federal ammo rebate so I can wait more than 3 weeks for this one!

We can confirm that your rebate was received and approved for processing.

At this time, all Visa rebates are awaiting payment authorization from Lincoln Electric; your rebate has not yet been issued. Once we receive authorization from Lincoln Electric, your Visa will be issued. Once issued, you will receive the Visa debit rebate by email, which will contain a reward link and PIN. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide an ETA on the rebate issuance, as the the delay is on the Lincoln Electric side of this rebate payment process.

We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I got mine just a short while ago.  I was emailed an offer for a virtual card that can be used right away or to wait 5-7 days to receive a plastic one.  I took the virtual card.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Funny coincidence, I just got mine also!
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I started welding aluminum yesterday and have stupid question time:

Initially everything worked great.  After a few welds around 60a the tip of the electrode was just barely balled.  When I say just barely I mean you could just barely see the point was shiny.  It was still very sharp, but no longer razor sharp.  Once the point was shiny it didn't want to start an arc - the start would spark briefly and then shut off.

I swapped electrodes and turned the current up to around 110a and welded a bead on a thick piece of metal.  After this weld the point had balled just a bit more than previously, the shiny tip was well under 1mm diameter, and again the arc was difficult to start.

Using argon, the 3/32 ceriated electrodes were ground with a pretty fine finish on the taper and to a sharp pinpoint.  With a fresh electrode everything was perfect, it was only once the points had a barely visible shiny spot did the arc not want to start.  Machine is still on 110 power if that matters.  Aluminum was 6061 and I used an abrasive brush on the metal and wiped it down with acetone before welding, surface finish was a clean brushed texture.

Any input?
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Sometimes I have the same issue with my Dynasty.  I used to think that it was an inverter issue, but had it happen with a Syncrowave too.  My solution is to touch the tungsten to the work first without starting the arc.  Lift the torch to the normal height and press the pedal.  Works every time.

I have no idea why it works.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
.....My solution is to touch the tungsten to the work first without starting the arc.  Lift the torch to the normal height and press the pedal.  Works every time.
View Quote
I found I could firmly press or scratch the metal with the electrode and the arc more frequently started after that.

I tried scratching the metal with something else(ie. not the electrode), different spots on the metal, etc. all to no avail.  
I read online that some machines have difficulty with low current AC starts, so I tried upping the current and quickly maxing the pedal with no change.

What about a different electrode?  I only got ceriated, was thinking about trying lanthanated.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I have had it happen with all the tungsten types I use.  I thought it might a ground issue, so I used a c-clamp ground on my table.  Didn’t help.   It doesn’t do it all the time, but when it does I do the touch part without even thinking about it.

I have noticed that it has never done it on the first arc, only after I have been welding for awhile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top