Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 502
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mr_Psmith:
I am up and running on the ⚡ Lightning Network ⚡, and ultrafast (nearly instant) Bitcoin Layer 2

https://lightning.network/
https://lightning.engineering/
https://old.reddit.com/r/lightningnetwork/

DIY to Turnkey Lightning nodes:
https://raspiblitz.org/
https://getumbrel.com/

My offer to Arfcom:

Open a channel with me of 500,000 sats or more and I will open one back to you of same size (up to 10,000,000 sats / 0.1 BTC) to bootstrap your inbound liquidity.

View Quote

Wait, you can run this on a Raspberry Pi?

You've piqued my interest. I'll start looking into this and get back to you by this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I am up and running on the ⚡ Lightning Network ⚡, and ultrafast (nearly instant) Bitcoin Layer 2

My offer to Arfcom:

Open a channel with me of 500,000 sats or more and I will open one back to you of same size (up to 10,000,000 sats / 0.1 BTC) to bootstrap your inbound liquidity.

View Quote

Have been wanting to learn more about and run a Lightning node...
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By beastman:

You've piqued my interest. I'll start looking into this and get back to you by this weekend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By beastman:

My offer to Arfcom:

Mine too. Need to learn more about this.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Rustyprop:

What are the benefits of running a lighting node??
View Quote

At a minimum

1) Being your own Bank in a more payment-friendly sense that simply being able to settle BTC transactions on the base L1 chain
   - it is the L2 equivalent of having a hardware wallet
2) Privacy and potentially no KYC compared to a hosted or custodial lightning wallet (that being said, there are plenty of good custodial Lightning wallets, including Wallet of Satoshi)
3) In theory, you can optimize your node to generate routing fees (although the APY on capital pretty small and much lower than you could get for loaning the BTC)
   - this is an evolving area, and some people with well connected nodes are figuring out how to set routing fees to optimize returns
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Should I do a lightning network tut / knowledge bomb / linkfest in this thread, or start a new thread in GD?
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]

At a minimum

1) Being your own Bank in a more payment-friendly sense that simply being able to settle BTC transactions on the base L1 chain
2) Privacy and potentially no KYC compared to a hosted or custodial lightning wallet (that being said, there are plenty of good custodial Lightning wallets, including Wallet of Satoshi)
3) In theory, you can optimize your node to generate routing fees (although the APY on capital pretty small and much lower than you could get for loaning the BTC)
   - this is an evolving area, and some people with well connected nodes are figuring out how to set routing fees to optimize returns
View Quote

Would a merchant set one up to accept payments?
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Should I do a lightning network tut / knowledge bomb / linkfest in this thread, or start a new thread in GD?
View Quote

Just do it here. Anyone that really cares is here already.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:25:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#8]
Originally Posted By clindt:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By clindt:

Pretty much.  Everyone else on the site is looking to get rich tomorrow in USD on a gamble or just plain ignorant to BTC adoption growing around them.  If they care what makes BTC important to humanity as a whole or to at least shield themselves from the fiat legacy system, they're already in here.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

I've explained the basis for its intrinsic value here in these very forums exhaustively since 2013.  I'm sorry you didn't hear me back then.  

Bitcoin has already burst several times.  You aren't pitching anything new or insightful.

In 2011, it crashed from $32 to $2.
In 2013, it crashed from $1,200 to $170.
In 2017, it crashed from $20,000 to $3,500.

Guys like you took victory laps every single time it has happened yet here we are at $60k.  You think this is is the first time I've had this conversation?  This is my 3rd go around in 8 years engaging with the tulips theory guys.  We had comments just like yours back in 2013 and 2017.  

@SWOH

ETA:  I found one of my old posts (of many) in the archives from 2013 where I described the basis for intrinsic value for Bitcoin:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/Capture_JPG-2151715.JPG

Subscribe to my newsletter for more investing tips.

View Quote

I'd subscribe if you have one.

Well said.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JustinHEMI04:

Well said.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JustinHEMI04:

I've explained the basis for its intrinsic value here in these very forums exhaustively since 2013.  I'm sorry you didn't hear me back then.  

Bitcoin has already burst several times.  You aren't pitching anything new or insightful.

In 2011, it crashed from $32 to $2.
In 2013, it crashed from $1,200 to $170.
In 2017, it crashed from $20,000 to $3,500.

Guys like you took victory laps every single time it has happened yet here we are at $60k.  You think this is is the first time I've had this conversation?  This is my 3rd go around in 8 years engaging with the tulips theory guys.  We had comments just like yours back in 2013 and 2017.  

@SWOH

ETA:  I found one of my old posts (of many) in the archives from 2013 where I described the basis for intrinsic value for Bitcoin:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/Capture_JPG-2151715.JPG

Subscribe to my newsletter for more investing tips.

Well said.

Plot twist, this thread is my newsletter.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

With way I'm in for the knowledge
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Plot twist, this thread is my newsletter.  
View Quote

Word!
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#14]
As a semi-new investor still learning all the ins and outs, what's a good strategy for staking, farming, etc.  I'd like to make the coins I already have do more than just sit in my wallets and maybe pick up other ones that might offer the best rewards.  I've got a relatively small mix of BTC, ETH, SOL, DOT, and ATOM.  

I'm already a multi-billionaire in shit coins.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By showmeballer:
As a semi-new investor still learning all the ins and outs, what's a good strategy for staking, farming, etc.  I'd like to make the coins I already have do more than just sit in my wallets and maybe pick up other ones that might offer the best rewards.  I've got a relatively small mix of BTC, ETH, SOL, DOT, and ATOM.  

View Quote

Moving your crypto to Celcius or BlockFi to generate interest seems OK.

Still, not your keys, not your coins, and all that jazz.

I'm doing stable coin lending on BlockFi but I don't know if I have the nerve to move "The Big Show" aka my BTC and ETH to either of those platforms.  I feel like I have enough risk already just being in them as it is.

Link Posted: 11/1/2021 11:17:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Knife_Sniper] [#16]

View Quote

Staking can be comprised of a few markets:

Farming: typically a race to zero as new coins are minted as you farm thereby diluting the supply. If you get in first,  have a huge stack to mine with, and get out quick these can be lucrative on the short term.

On the long term many will dilute so quickly that the coins value may start out at 20$ and end up .004 such as parrot.finance on arbitrum.

Staking or lending can come in two forms:
Smart contract Staking in aave yields a return based on the amount borrowed. If everyone borrows your asset your interest rate climbs dynamicly. The contract controls the keys. If you take a loan you must pay it back before you can get your asset back.

Lending through a trusted third party such as Celsius is just another form of lending for interest. Simple and easy to use with the downside of the not your keys not your coin issue.

Then there is liqudity providers. These individuals stake a 50/50 mix of two (or more) coins in to a liquidity pool and you receive a cut of all trades from one asset to another. The danger is if coin a moons then coin b will be bought automatically to keep your 50 /50 spread which will cut into your gains.

Likewise during a coin downturn it would cushion one coins losses against another.

Upon removal of the liquidity pool you receive your coins back plus the share you received as a provider.

Lp tokens can be further staked in products such as autofarm which compounds your LP profits hundreds of times per day producing 10 20 or higher APY.

Never stake or farm on eth. The high cost of commitment to the smart contract will eat into your profits.

I stake and farm on layer 2s which are cheaper and faster. I had been using autofarm on btc usd pairings during the market downturn typically at 15 to 30 APY.

Now I am using gains.trade to provide liquidity for degenerate gamblers who wish to trade on 1000x leverage. I am receiving anywhere from 75 to 90 APY.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 11:26:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#17]

I'm doing stable coin lending on BlockFi but I don't know if I have the nerve to move "The Big Show" aka my BTC and ETH to either of those platforms.  I feel like I have enough risk already just being in them as it is.

View All Quotes

To me, the interest return makes no sense when risking my actual property that gains on average 200% annual returns anyways. It actually just seems greedy given the risk involved in someone else becoming custodian of my asset. Maybe when we're 5-10 yrs into the future and some of those places have solidified themselves in the market, I'd consider loaning out a portion of my BTC for (likely by then) paltry return rates. Maybe...

EDIT: I did not mean for the stablecoins.  That's fine to utilize worthless USD and gain better interest than the banks offer.  I meant giving up custodial rights for BTC or even ETH (if you believe in it).
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info guys!

Off to do some more research.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:

To me, the interest return makes no sense when risking my actual property that gains on average 200% annual returns anyways. It actually just seems greedy given the risk involved in someone else becoming custodian of my asset. Maybe when we're 5-10 yrs into the future and some of those places have solidified themselves in the market, I'd consider loaning out a portion of my BTC for (likely by then) paltry return rates. Maybe...
View All Quotes

This is where I'm at right now as well, especially in regard to my BTC stash.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I am so fucked when it comes to taxes.
The tax guys programs have certain limits on volume and number of transactions one can do. If a person like me uses bots there is no hope.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:55:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#22]

At least you're a VIP.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 1:11:26 AM EDT
[#23]

At least you're a VIP.  
View All Quotes

At least you're a VIP.  

This isn't even the half of it. I do my hardest trading at pionex.. Trades are even cheaper on there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 3:29:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TexasDoubleTap:
Good info. Thanks.

I'm running unmineable on a couple of older laptops, just cpu hashing. Definitely leaving a bit of coin on the table for convenience of 1 click mining on hardware that typically just runs my kids browser based learning apps.
View Quote

Can you make any money mining anything on a regular computer these days?

I tried mining (not sure if BTC or LTC) years ago (like 2013) and gave up after it appeared like I made about 2 cents in a week .
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Burger King is giving away 20 bitcoin, 200 ether, and two million dogecoin

Too bad it’s through a partnership with Robinhood.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 5:57:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone use FTX as an exchange?

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 6:06:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By wildturkey09:
I am so fucked when it comes to taxes.
The tax guys programs have certain limits on volume and number of transactions one can do. If a person like me uses bots there is no hope.
View Quote

How is the bot working out for you? I've been looking at three commas , they claim to provide record keeping as part of the service.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Bale2011:
Burger King is giving away 20 bitcoin, 200 ether, and two million dogecoin

Too bad it's through a partnership with Robinhood.
View Quote
So you don't really even win the coin?
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Loopring ($LRC) shooting up on rumors of a partnership with GameStop ($GME) on NFTs.

$LRC Now at $1.30+.

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TLWrench:
Loopring ($LRC) shooting up on rumors of a partnership with GameStop ($GME) on NFTs.

$LRC Now at $1.30+.

View Quote

For the coinbase users, LRC is on 'learn and earn' now.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By FullSemiautomatic:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FullSemiautomatic:

$LRC Now at $1.30+.

It’s on CBP for purchase but I’m not buying. I narrowly escaped the MANA dump

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:05:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#32]

$LRC Now at $1.30+.

View Quote

About time it did something. I was tired of staring at it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:21:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AJ-IN-JAX] [#33]
Think about dropping $5k into BTC. Just let it sit there.

Not sure if I buy it on CB or Binance.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

At a minimum

Yes, accepting lighting is far more ideal at retail POS for everything except big ticket items (eg a car dealership should still take Bitcoin on L1). In El Salvador, most of the merchants are using lightning, not main chain.

There are some retail POS oriented tools for this, for example BTCPay has lightning support: https://btcpayserver.org/
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:23:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brahmzy] [#35]
Originally Posted By Rifleman_1646:

Can you make any money mining anything on a regular computer these days?

I tried mining (not sure if BTC or LTC) years ago (like 2013) and gave up after it appeared like I made about 2 cents in a week .
View Quote

Define regular. With or without a modern GPU? I’m making .001 BTC (~$630) every ~32-33 days with 3 computers. Used to be every ~26-27 days. ETH difficulty keeps climbing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By AJ-IN-JAX:

View Quote

Doesn't matter where you buy it as long as you withdraw it and take custody.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Doesn't matter where you buy it as long as you withdraw it and take custody.
View Quote
Yeah.....I still need a cold wallet
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#38]
I'd get hit with less fees on Binance.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:47:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brahmzy] [#39]
View Quote

$25 in fees on CBPro..

I’m ok with that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Sold all my MANA yesterday at $3.49. Missed the buy back in by about $.20. Not terribly worried.

Is SOL still on anyones list? I've still got 10 or so coins I bought at ~$175.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Managed to time my wife’s BTC & ETH DCA buys perfectly at the bottom yesterday. I’m feeling proud of myself, lol. 1st & 15th. And extra if we’re in a sale zone.

I, on the other hand have been amassing powder for months for a future sale that may never happen in this bull market.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:

$25 in fees on CBPro..

I'm ok with that.
View All Quotes

$25 in fees on CBPro..

I'm ok with that.
Yeah, leaning toward that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Now the question what price point do I try to buy BTC at?  
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:09:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#44]

$25 in fees on CBPro..

I’m ok with that.
View All Quotes

$25 in fees on CBPro..

I’m ok with that.

It's relative. When I had a Binance account it was something like $25 in fees to withdraw.

CB Pro is the most convenient. And it isn't a China exchange.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By WrightP:
Sold all my MANA yesterday at $3.49. Missed the buy back in by about $.20. Not terribly worried.

View Quote

I’m holding it. I think it will be a $400 coin eventually.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

I have an old desktop pc that I installed Linux on to play with. I am going to see if I can get this going on that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By WrightP:

View Quote

Predictions are $500-700 this cycle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#48]
This is legit, the best video I've seen in crypto in a long time.  Have had to watch it about 10x and laugh my ass off every time.  In relation to SquidGame Token rug pull:

Crypto shitcoin rug pull SquidGameToken LIVE! shib is next squid
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Is BTC just going up today!?!
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#50]
Is BTC just going up today!?!
View Quote

It goes down, too.    Mostly some solid buying action from what I've seen, though.  $100k end of month.  We'll be on the moon soon.

Page / 502
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top