Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 501
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:

Gary Gensler is Professor of the Practice of Global Economics and Management, MIT Sloan School of Management, Co-Director of MIT's Fintech@CSAIL & Senior Advisor to the MIT Media Lab Digital Currency Initiative. He conducts research and teaches on blockchain technology, digital currencies, financial technology, and public policy.

View Quote
Obama was a professor of constitutional law.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By felrom:
View Quote

That's a very nice way of saying adjunct lecturer at a time when Constitutional Law was a class that the real professors didn't want to teach.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:

Gary Gensler is Professor of the Practice of Global Economics and Management, MIT Sloan School of Management, Co-Director of MIT's Fintech@CSAIL & Senior Advisor to the MIT Media Lab Digital Currency Initiative. He conducts research and teaches on blockchain technology, digital currencies, financial technology, and public policy.

Apples and oranges. Go to YouTube and just search his name and crypto. He’s very pro crypto. Dude is smart as fuck and would tear Yellen a new asshole in a senate hearing, IF, he gets confirmed as SEC chairman AND she is confirmed as Treasury Secretary.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
This rollercoaster is fun.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Love Rollercoaster [Vídeo Oficial ??]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Just bought another $100 of BTC tonight with the drop!

I've been getting FB ads for coinbase app. The comments are a majority of crypto doomers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#8]
GBTC up 7.5% today
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

And here I was patting myself on the back for picking up another 0.01 BTC in the dip. lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Nonchalance:

And here I was patting myself on the back for picking up another 0.01 BTC in the dip. lol
View All Quotes

They made two buys last year totaling close to a billion dollars at that time.  I think they have double or tripled their investment by now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Grayscale supposedly investing heavily into Tezos?

Should help the price.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:

They made two buys last year totaling close to a billion dollars at that time.  I think they have double or tripled their investment by now.
View All Quotes

When the entire financial world was busy calling Microstrategy stupid for issuing bonds to buy bitcoin, I read an analysis of the details of what they were issuing to raise the capital.  They only needed about a 5% increase in bitcoin price over the life of the bonds to break even.  Bitcoin has nearly doubled since then.  I wish I could raise a billion dollars.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#13]
When the entire financial world was busy calling Microstrategy stupid for issuing bonds to buy bitcoin, I read an analysis of the details of what they were issuing to raise the capital.  They only needed about a 5% increase in bitcoin price over the life of the bonds to break even.  Bitcoin has nearly doubled since then.  I wish I could raise a billion dollars.
View All Quotes

I'm sure that their stockholders are not presently complaining. Their stock price has 3x'd in the past 4 months.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:37:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARandomClaymore] [#14]
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:
Grayscale supposedly investing heavily into Tezos?

Should help the price.
View Quote

Good. It needs to do something. While it's gone up in price this past month, the fact it's failed to even meet the previous mark of $4.49 back in August 2020 is disappointing. Shoot, just hitting $4 would do wonders for it.

I'm not complaining, though. I bought 1000 XTZ on March 12, 2020 at $0.98/ea. And I've earned an additional 45 through staking.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:36:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#15]
The Biden Administration is determined to fuck everyone in the ass in their first week in power.

Bitcoin Heads For Worst Weekly Loss In Months

“During a U.S. Senate hearing on Tuesday, Janet Yellen, President Joe Biden’s pick to head the U.S. Treasury, expressed concerns that cryptocurrencies could be used to finance illegal activities.”
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Willz:
The Biden Administration is determined to fuck everyone in the ass in their first week in power.

“During a U.S. Senate hearing on Tuesday, Janet Yellen, President Joe Biden’s pick to head the U.S. Treasury, expressed concerns that cryptocurrencies could be used to finance illegal activities.”
View Quote

The future is now old lady, now shut the fuck up
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#17]
GBTC premium to NAV was 4% yesterday. That's pretty low for anyone looking to buy in.

https://ycharts.com/companies/GBTC/discount_or_premium_to_nav

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:48:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: felrom] [#18]
I closed my mortgage refi yesterday and ended up with ~$15,000 extra cash out that I hadn't anticipated.  Time to pull a @spidey007 and dump it in to BTC....

Interesting:   "The endowments of Harvard, Yale and Brown have been buying Bitcoin directly for at least a year, CoinDesk reports."
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

As long as Gary Gensler is confirmed as head of SEC, I wouldn’t worry. Just a boomer saying boomer things.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Bitcoin needs to run sideways for a couple weeks so alts can explode.

I want my $3000 ETH and $800 LTC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

I wonder what currency is currently the one most used in illegal activities?

Hmmm....
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Htown156:

View Quote

Right. I need some 1k doge
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By PeteCO:

I wonder what currency is currently the one most used in illegal activities?

Hmmm....
View Quote

Don't worry. The physical dollar will soon be on the chopping block also. The excuse will be to prevent Harriet Tubman's image from getting further desecrated by racists with Sharpies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#24]
GBTC down to near zero premium to NAV.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

What does that mean in English please? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Grayscale owns a ton of Bitcoin.

Grayscale then issue shares of the Grayscale Bitcoin Trust, GBTC, and sells them on the market. Each share of GBTC represents 0.000959 bitcoins.

So we can compare the current cost of a share of GBTC to the current cost of 0.000959 bitcoins. If the cost of the GBTC is higher than the cost of those bitcoins, then we would say that GBTC is trading at a premium to its net asset value (NAV).  In other words, you would be paying a little bit more to buy a share of GBTC than you would pay to buy an equivalent amount of bitcoins.

If the cost of the GBTC was less than the cost of the equivalent amount of Bitcoin then we would say that GBTC is trading at a discount to NAV.

The reason this situation exists is that the market is not 100% efficient, and the market has trouble being instantaneously efficient. There is still no way I know of to directly own Bitcoin in a retirement account. So if you want exposure to Bitcoin in your 401k, you have to buy GBTC, even if it's trading at a premium to NAV.  That means that sometimes the demand for GBTC is higher than the demand for bitcoins, even though they represent the same asset. That's why the price can diverge between the two, and you end up with either a premium or a discount to NAV.

Additionally, even today a lot of people don't understand how to buy Bitcoin through something like Coinbase. So instead they purchase through GBTC in a brokerage account.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#27]
It will be interesting to see what affect the Fed meeting has on crypto
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Grayscale then issue shares of the Grayscale Bitcoin Trust, GBTC, and sells them on the market. Each share of GBTC represents 0.000959 bitcoins.

So we can compare the current cost of a share of GBTC to the current cost of 0.000959 bitcoins. If the cost of the GBTC is higher than the cost of those bitcoins, then we would say that GBTC is trading at a premium to its net asset value (NAV).  In other words, you would be paying a little bit more to buy a share of GBTC than you would pay to buy an equivalent amount of bitcoins.

If the cost of the GBTC was less than the cost of the equivalent amount of Bitcoin then we would say that GBTC is trading at a discount to NAV.

The reason this situation exists is that the market is not 100% efficient, and the market has trouble being instantaneously efficient. There is still no way I know of to directly own Bitcoin in a retirement account. So if you want exposure to Bitcoin in your 401k, you have to buy GBTC, even if it's trading at a premium to NAV.  That means that sometimes the demand for GBTC is higher than the demand for bitcoins, even though they represent the same asset. That's why the price can diverge between the two, and you end up with either a premium or a discount to NAV.

Additionally, even today a lot of people don't understand how to buy Bitcoin through something like Coinbase. So instead they purchase through GBTC in a brokerage account.
View All Quotes

Got it, thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:
It will be interesting to see what affect the Fed meeting has on crypto
View Quote

Well right now it's around 29.7k.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:24:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#30]
WSB hodls knife to throat of hedge funds
SEC steps in and halts trading 30 days
Soviet Union suffers worst wheat harvest in 55 years
Investors flee market, looking for safe harbor
BTC stands alone

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
WSB hodls knife to throat of hedge funds
SEC steps in and halts trading 30 days
Soviet Union suffers worst wheat harvest in 55 years
Investors flee market, looking for safe harbor
BTC stands alone

View Quote

*shaking autistically* "But I need somewhere to invest!"
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Word has it that Reddit is doing the same thing as they did with GameStop with Doge coin.  Take that for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Word has it that Reddit is doing the same thing as they did with GameStop with Doge coin.  Take that for what it is worth.
View Quote

Are there shorts on the other side?

If not, it’s just a pump with a bunch of bag holders.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm just amazed that the revelation a few days ago that the Yale and Harvard endowments have been buying Bitcoin for over a year was apparently a snoozer to everyone on the internet.  That sounds like some of the biggest bullish news in a looooong time, because it means the regulatory hammer will at worst be a soft symbolic tap.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Eth is pumping this morning.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:39:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Default-Gateway] [#36]
Elon added the btc tag to his Twitter.  That's the richest manin the world right there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Bale2011:

Eth is pumping this morning.
View Quote
Big jump for BTC as well. I don't have any but do have shares of MARA and RIOT. Considering cashing out if BTC reverses.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I just want Stellar Lumens to hit 1 dollar. Is that too much to ask?
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:58:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rcav8r] [#39]
Can't get into Coinbase now.

ETA: Must be busy, got in finally.

I sold my litecoin for BTC, since it was a little "slow".

Can we get Reddit to go nuts on Loopring?
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CrimsonTideShooter:

I just want Stellar Lumens to hit 1 dollar. Is that too much to ask?
View Quote

Xlm and ada follow closely.

Yum.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Loopring is going up again. It's a whole 50 cents as I write this
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By fike:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fike:

This, what we’ve seen happen with GME is a black swan event. The autist and retards don't actually have the ability to organize and effect markets like people now seem to think. Anyone buying doge is just throwing away money
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#44]
The article says that hedge funds are short about 30,000 Bitcoin, which is about 2/10 of 1% of the float.  I don't think the author really understands what's going on with GameStop.

I remember six or eight years ago Forbes used to publish a lot of really great articles, then they put up a paywall and got super woke.   =\
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Any news on the pending XRP litigation? Just found around 800 on a exchange account I forgot I had.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By mchgnxj24:
Any news on the pending XRP litigation? Just found around 800 on a exchange account I forgot I had.
View Quote

Last I read, they produced a lengthy retort that primarily relied on the “other guy” defense.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Sweet😕. Good thing I don’t even remember what I got these at.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Microstrategy adds another 10mm in BTC to its hord.
View Quote

Saylor hosts his conference for corporate investing in BTC on Feb 4. Should be interesting times.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:

Saylor hosts his conference for corporate investing in BTC on Feb 4. Should be interesting times.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:
Microstrategy adds another 10mm in BTC to its hord.

He 4x'd his stock price in 6 months through bitcoin.  It could be explosive.
Page / 501
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top