BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 502
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:06:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Agilt:

what info led you to get the ledger X? Other options, best option?

Any reads/how-tos?
View Quote
It was recommended in this thread by C3H5N3O9.

A few Google checks confirmed it was tier 1
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
I'm trying to get up the nerve to transfer my coin base holdings into my ledger X.

I feel like I am one typo away from losing it all
View Quote
At the peak 2-3 years ago ($12K-ish), I had 1 BTC in CashApp.  I just sold out 0.15 BTC that I had in Coinbase, which were my accumulated mining proceeds from a few years ago that I just let ride for basically a year. I'm waiting for the next dip to buy back.  I know it was just mentioned that $10K isn't likely, but if it gets close to that, I'm all in with every penny I can find.  I'll start small buys and dollar cost averaging under $20K, but it goes to $10K and I'm selling a kidney .
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:14:49 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

That makes 4 active threads I think, the Afrcom GD Bitcoin Topic index is still going up!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:29:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: woodsie] [#5]
Originally Posted By MrZeat:

I mean we had these exactly same comments in 2017/2018...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MrZeat:
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:
Originally Posted By UTex86:
Originally Posted By The_Steward:
Originally Posted By CBags04:
Still a bunch of room in the log regression bands.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129054/btclog_PNG-1778802.JPG

Closeup - The top band is currently about 71k-93k.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129054/btclogzoom_PNG-1778810.JPG

And the lower band is about 10k.

Hooray for logs.

I, for one, would welcome $10k bitcoin again.

Likely why it will never make it there again. Not off the table, but unlikely because everyone and their closest kin will back up the truck after this run.

I'll say even sub-$20k at all will be difficult.

I mean we had these exactly same comments in 2017/2018...

The 2017 bubble never crashed back anywhere close to where it started.  This is seared into my mind because from absolutely pure dumb luck I managed to check Bitcoin prices on the morning of January 14th, 2015 and bought a pile of them when I saw the the price had dropped to $180.66 per each.  As it has turned out, that ended up being the actual rock bottom since the 2013 bubble.  I literally nailed it on it's lowest day since 2013 at a price that has since never again been seen.  I bought on literally Day 1 of the next cycle.

The 2017 crash took Bitcoin down to in the neighborhood of $3500 by the time it was all said and done and that was the new bottom.  That's like a 20x increase from bottom to bottom.

Yes, $10k is within the realm of possibility but the longer this cycle goes the less likely that is going to be.  To say that it may be difficult to ever see sub $20k again is not a far out statement.  I wouldn't make that statement, but it's not far out.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
What do we think of:

Polkadot

Chainlink

Tomochain

Defichain

Uniswap

Cardano

Neo

I remember cardano and neo used to be all the rage.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Crossposting this from the other crypto thread.  I found it interesting.

The Bit Short: Inside Crypto’s Doomsday Machine
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Default-Gateway] [#8]
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:
What do we think of:

Polkadot

Chainlink

Tomochain

Defichain

Uniswap

Cardano

Neo

View Quote

Link is the only one of those I'm in.  It has treated me well but I kick myself for not buying a bunch more at $1
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:

Link is the only one of those I'm in.  It has treated me well but I kick myself for not buying a bunch more at $1
View All Quotes
What do we think of:

Polkadot

Chainlink

Tomochain

Defichain

Uniswap

Cardano

Neo

Same, but I didn't discover it until $8.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:

The Bit Short: Inside Crypto’s Doomsday Machine
View Quote

Sadly, this has been fairly common knowledge for years. If you go back to the big 2017 crypto threads, we were saying the same thing.

Just about every new “greatest thing” shitcoin you hear about is propped up by Tether on a shitty exchange and gains value purely on the hard work of holders reaching out to “the greater fool”. Eventually it will all fall apart.

Phase 2 of the fall apart will be when governments go after all stable coins after they realize how much tax revenue they are missing out on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Pi coin invite code in case anyone is interested.
minepi.com/Ej86923
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
What do we think of:

Polkadot

Chainlink

Tomochain

Defichain

Uniswap

Cardano

Neo

View Quote

All pure Shitcoin designed to remove you from your Bitcoin and dollars.  Doesn't mean you can't make money off of it if that's your jam.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
What do we think of:

Polkadot

Chainlink

Tomochain

Defichain

Uniswap

Cardano

Neo

View Quote

Cardanois going to be big!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#14]
What do we think of:

Polkadot

Chainlink

Tomochain

Defichain

Uniswap

Cardano

Neo

View Quote

Coinbase needs to add both Cardano and Polkadot to their platform.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By fike:

Sadly, this has been fairly common knowledge for years. If you go back to the big 2017 crypto threads, we were saying the same thing.

Just about every new "greatest thing" shitcoin you hear about is propped up by Tether on a shitty exchange and gains value purely on the hard work of holders reaching out to "the greater fool". Eventually it will all fall apart.

Phase 2 of the fall apart will be when governments go after all stable coins after they realize how much tax revenue they are missing out on.
View All Quotes

The Bit Short: Inside Crypto's Doomsday Machine

Just about every new "greatest thing" shitcoin you hear about is propped up by Tether on a shitty exchange and gains value purely on the hard work of holders reaching out to "the greater fool". Eventually it will all fall apart.

I've been waiting for the Tether bubble to burst for years.  It's big enough to materially hurt Bitcoin's price when it happens, but it wont be the end of the world.  Bitcoin has grown big enough that it'll be a bump in the road in the long term.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By felrom:
I've been waiting for the Tether bubble to burst for years.  It's big enough to materially hurt Bitcoin's price when it happens, but it wont be the end of the world.  Bitcoin has grown big enough that it'll be a bump in the road in the long term.
View All Quotes

The Bit Short: Inside Crypto's Doomsday Machine

Agreed. It will clean up all the trash and kill most of the shitcoins.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#17]
All prices are down this morning.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Bale2011:
View Quote

You can thank Yellen for that
https://www.coindesk.com/janet-yellen-says-cryptocurrencies-are-a-concern-in-terrorist-financing
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:

https://www.coindesk.com/janet-yellen-says-cryptocurrencies-are-a-concern-in-terrorist-financing
View All Quotes

TERRRRRORRRRISM
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Federal authorities are currently investigating whether there is a link between a December transaction of 13.5 bitcoin (BTC, -6.12%) by now-deceased French computer programmer Laurent Bachelier to right-wing figures and the attempted insurrection at the U.S. Capitol earlier this month. Several of the recipients of the transaction appear to have been at the Capitol on Jan. 6.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By laxman09:

View All Quotes

Federal authorities are currently investigating whether there is a link between a December transaction of 13.5 bitcoin (BTC, -6.12%) by now-deceased French computer programmer Laurent Bachelier to right-wing figures and the attempted insurrection at the U.S. Capitol earlier this month. Several of the recipients of the transaction appear to have been at the Capitol on Jan. 6.

Um, so, how did they know the recipients were at the rally?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

But but but but.... every comment I've read in the financial press for the last two months, both from authors and commenters, is that the incoming Biden administration will be much more friendly to cryptocurrency.

Everyone has this kind of mass delusion that big government nanny-staters who want to control every aspect of your life will for some reason love cryptocurrency.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#23]
But but but but.... every comment I've read in the financial press for the last two months, both from authors and commenters, is that the incoming Biden administration will be much more friendly to cryptocurrency.

Everyone has this kind of mass delusion that big government nanny-staters who want to control every aspect of your life will for some reason love cryptocurrency.
View All Quotes

Because the dollar was never used for any nefarious behavior.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:

View All Quotes

1) Cell phones,
2) Social media,
3) Their neighbors, friends, and family reporting them:

Take your pick.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#25]

1) Cell phones,
2) Social media,

Take your pick.
View All Quotes

1) Cell phones,
2) Social media,

Take your pick.

But bitcoin?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Only the Feds are allowed to fund and arm terrorists.  “Rules for thee and not for me.”
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:37:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#27]

But bitcoin?
View All Quotes

1) Cell phones,
2) Social media,

Take your pick.

But bitcoin?

Yep... the ledger knows all:

In December 2020, a French computer programmer named Laurent Bachelier donated more than half a million dollars in bitcoin to a variety of right-wing causes. That same day Mr. Bachelier, who suffered from a debilitating medical condition, killed himself.

The donations and their recipients were first described in a report last week by a bitcoin analysis firm, Chainalysis Inc. The Wall Street Journal identified Mr. Bachelier as the donor through online records and interviews with people familiar with the matter.

The Chainalysis report said the donations included 13.5 bitcoins—the equivalent, at the time, of $250,000—to Nick Fuentes, a far-right personality with a large online following. Mr. Bachelier donated a further $272,000 to other right-wing causes—again using bitcoin—giving more than $17,000 to the social-media platform Gab, and a similar amount to the anti-immigration website VDARE.com, according to the report.

ETA: What’s truly alarming to me is that none of those people are actual terrorists, but the state is acting like he sent money to ISIS.  Nick Fuentes and Gab aren’t ISIS; they’re just guilty of wrong think.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Money printer goes BRRRRRRRRRR. I'll buy more crypto
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
$2000/person on the way.
And a lot of people are still owed $600/kid that they didn't get from the last orgy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#30]
$2000/person on the way.
And a lot of people are still owed $600/kid that they didn't get from the last orgy.
View All Quotes

$2000/person on the way.

This won’t be the last stimulus either.  The incoming admin is already talking about locking the country down again.  That should work out great for an economy already circling the drain.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#31]

This won’t be the last stimulus either.  The incoming admin is already talking about locking the country down again.  That should work out great for an economy already circling the drain.
View Quote

This is how you get universal basic income . Republicans and Democrats alike will have their hands out
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#32]

This is how you get universal basic income . Republicans and Democrats alike will have their hands out
View All Quotes

Yep, I'll take $2k a month to go directly into BTC.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#33]
$2000/person on the way.
View All Quotes

$2000/person on the way.

That $2k is a fraction of the total being printed that is also going to state governments and corporations
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Wirebrush:

That $2k is a fraction of the total being printed that is also going to state governments and corporations
View All Quotes

$2000/person on the way.

Yep, everyone is getting their payoff now that the globalists are back in charge.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Universal basic income is so much Orwellian newspeak.  It's not universal, it won't be a base for most people, and it isn't an income.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#36]
So when do we get ARFCoin?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By m3n00b:
View Quote
Back in 2017 somebody designed a crypto for firearm transactions. It's up there with the crypto design for transferring dental records between practices. A perfect solution for an unimportant problem that very few people have!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By m3n00b:
View Quote

Guaranteed ARFCoin would get jammed up by the US SEC real quick.  Just wait for Operation Choke Point v2.0 to get kicked off.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

All those Dem. cities that were allowed to burn last summer are going to get a makeover now. Bailouts for all the bloated public union pensions also.  This country is so fucked.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#40]

In December 2020, a French computer programmer named Laurent Bachelier donated more than half a million dollars in bitcoin to a variety of right-wing causes. That same day Mr. Bachelier, who suffered from a debilitating medical condition, killed himself.

The donations and their recipients were first described in a report last week by a bitcoin analysis firm, Chainalysis Inc. The Wall Street Journal identified Mr. Bachelier as the donor through online records and interviews with people familiar with the matter.

The Chainalysis report said the donations included 13.5 bitcoins—the equivalent, at the time, of $250,000—to Nick Fuentes, a far-right personality with a large online following. Mr. Bachelier donated a further $272,000 to other right-wing causes—again using bitcoin—giving more than $17,000 to the social-media platform Gab, and a similar amount to the anti-immigration website VDARE.com, according to the report.

ETA: What’s truly alarming to me is that none of those people are actual terrorists, but the state is acting like he sent money to ISIS.  Nick Fuentes and Gab aren’t ISIS; they’re just guilty of wrong think.
View All Quotes

1) Cell phones,
2) Social media,

Take your pick.

But bitcoin?

Did those individuals broadcast their wallet key?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:

All those Dem. cities that were allowed to burn last summer are going to get a makeover now. Bailouts for all the bloated public union pensions also.  This country is so fucked.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:

And here I'll be...each month...converting dollars into 1's and 0's right up to the end.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
They probably did exactly that in order to accept donations. Then one of the many people who does constant analysis on the blockchain saw a huge amount of money move from one place to about four or five, and cross referenced with known wallet addresses.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:18:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#43]

View All Quotes

1) Cell phones,
2) Social media,

Take your pick.

But bitcoin?

Recipients would have to give Bachelier an address, so he could send the coins.  Conceivably someone could also have control of Bachelier's transaction logs and keys.  If those individuals converted the coins to fiat, then the exchanges would likely have to comply with know your customer and anti money laundering rules.  Hell, it could be something as stupid as Fuentes telling his audience that Bachelier had given him BTC.

https://bitcoinist.com/yes-your-bitcoin-transactions-can-be-tracked-and-here-are-the-companies-that-are-doing-it/

ETA:

Ha, Chainanalysis wrote a blog article about how they did it.  Lulz

Alt-Right Groups and Personalities Involved In Last Week’s Capitol Riot Received Over $500K In Bitcoin From French Donor One Month Prior

ETA2:

Wow, reading between the lines isn't even necessary, they just come right out and say it.

Standing together against domestic extremism
While we don’t know if these donations directly funded last week’s violent gathering at the Capitol or any associated activity, the timing certainly warrants suspicion. As the Biden administration gears up to fight domestic extremism, these donations are a reminder of the need to track the cryptocurrency activity of all groups and individuals designated as terrorists, including those operating on U.S. soil. As mainstream payment platforms remove extremist groups and figures, we may see them embrace cryptocurrency more as a donations mechanism. Luckily, thanks to the inherent transparency of cryptocurrency blockchains, law enforcement can track these transactions in real time and work with cryptocurrency businesses to prevent funds from reaching violent groups who may use them to fund their operations and commit acts of violence. Chainalysis is actively looking to identify any additional extremist payments and activity and will keep our customers updated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Privacy coins have always been something I assume will grow... Surprised they haven't much yet. If it weren't for the tax implications, it would sure be nice to completely replace paypal for p2p online sales... (For instance our EE etc).
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Recipients would have to give Bachelier an address, so he could send the coins.  Conceivably someone could also have control of Bachelier's transaction logs and keys.  If those individuals converted the coins to fiat, then the exchanges would likely have to comply with know your customer and anti money laundering rules.  Hell, it could be something as stupid as Fuentes telling his audience that Bachelier had given him BTC.

https://bitcoinist.com/yes-your-bitcoin-transactions-can-be-tracked-and-here-are-the-companies-that-are-doing-it/

ETA:

Alt-Right Groups and Personalities Involved In Last Week’s Capitol Riot Received Over $500K In Bitcoin From French Donor One Month Prior

ETA2:

Wow, reading between the lines isn't even necessary, they just come right out and say it.

While we don’t know if these donations directly funded last week’s violent gathering at the Capitol or any associated activity, the timing certainly warrants suspicion. As the Biden administration gears up to fight domestic extremism, these donations are a reminder of the need to track the cryptocurrency activity of all groups and individuals designated as terrorists, including those operating on U.S. soil. As mainstream payment platforms remove extremist groups and figures, we may see them embrace cryptocurrency more as a donations mechanism. Luckily, thanks to the inherent transparency of cryptocurrency blockchains, law enforcement can track these transactions in real time and work with cryptocurrency businesses to prevent funds from reaching violent groups who may use them to fund their operations and commit acts of violence. Chainalysis is actively looking to identify any additional extremist payments and activity and will keep our customers updated.
View Quote

The “unknown recipients” have yet to convert to USD. Push it around and split it up enough in unknown wallets and it’s just satoshis in circulation.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#46]

The “unknown recipients” have yet to convert to USD. Push it around and split it up enough in unknown wallets and it’s just satoshis in circulation.
View All Quotes

ETA:

ETA2:

I doubt it.  State level actors with virtually unlimited compute power and storage should have no trouble following around those satoshis.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#47]

I doubt it.  State level actors with virtually unlimited compute power and storage should have no trouble following around those satoshis.
View All Quotes

ETA:

ETA2:

Of course, but the Satoshis aren’t tainted any more than a $20 that was once used in a drug deal that has since been used by a dozen people.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Of course, but the Satoshis aren’t tainted any more than a $20 that was once used in a drug deal that has since been used by a dozen people.

View All Quotes

ETA:

ETA2:

The difference being that the $20 dollar bill doesn't have a public digital history ready for network analysis.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:01:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Caeser2001] [#49]

View Quote

That’s dated January 19. Bitcoin hit a double top, with a lower high, on January 14th. Nothing goes straight up forever without a distribution/accumulation phase. This is just another retest of the 21 exponential moving average.
Edit: copied from another thread.

FJY might not like crypto but FJB’s pick for head of the SEC is/was professor at MIT on blockchain technology.

Gary Gensler is Professor of the Practice of Global Economics and Management, MIT Sloan School of Management, Co-Director of MIT’s Fintech@CSAIL & Senior Advisor to the MIT Media Lab Digital Currency Initiative. He conducts research and teaches on blockchain technology, digital currencies, financial technology, and public policy.

https://mitsloan.mit.edu/faculty/directory/gary-gensler

https://www.investopedia.com/what-does-gary-gensler-as-sec-chief-mean-for-crypto-5095573

I would expect more regulation in regards to the shitcoin ico’s and the like, but I wouldn’t expect crypto to be banned, especially Bitcoin with all of the big institutions buying it. I wouldn’t be surprised if we finally see an ETF in the next year or two.

Edit: Here’s an interview with him. Decide for yourself. I just started it.

https://underscore.vc/blog/gary-gensler-on-the-future-of-blockchain/
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#50]

The difference being that the $20 dollar bill doesn't have a public digital history ready for network analysis.
View Quote
Bitcoin tumblers have been doing it for nearly a decade.

Imagine five people each have 100 Bitcoin. One of those five people's Bitcoin is stolen, the other four people's are clean.  They all transfer their Bitcoin to a single new wallet. Then that wallet starts transferring out 20 Bitcoin at a time to 25 new wallets.

It's not 100% perfect: people can still be stupid, they can recombine the bitcoins and send them all to an exchange with strong KYC. Or they might structure the fee payments in a way that clearly identifies who had the dirty money, and who was just paid to be there with clean coins. So you still have to do the process correctly.

Part of what the owner of the dirty money is paying for here is that the other participants will be smart too to help cover his tracks. If all the owners of the clean money simply drop their five wallets of 20 Bitcoin each back into their coin base accounts then it hasn't accomplished anything.
Page / 502
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top