Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2021 8:53:19 PM EDT
My garage floor is sloped pretty significantly. Enough so that when deadlifting the bar always wants to roll, and standing perpendicular to the slope feels awkward and is noticeably out of level.

So, I figured out the slope (1.5" every 8') and I built a deadlift platform big enough to have room for my rack too, so I can lift on a level surface.

The platform build is pretty standard - 3 layers of 3/4" ply with horse mats. But I have a 1.5" spacer on one end with spacers every 1' that graduate down to flat.

While building it I countersunk carriage bolts up from the bottom so I could secure the rack to the platform instead of mounting it to the sloped garage floor.

Attachment Attached File

The image is a little distorted but the rubber pads are 2'x3'

And I need more plates but this garage gym is only a couple months old and I blew most of my wad on the monster rack

ETA: Picture that shows the leveling strips better:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.

With deadlifts you should be fine, but start dropping cleans or snatches and you'll need to beef up the impact area.  Ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#2]
looks good.  i got my rml390 about a month ago and love it.  been scrounging for plates on marketplace since summer though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the platform 8'x8'?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the platform 8'x8'?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the platform 8'x8'?

Yes.

In for new pics in May of your 12x12 platform once you realize you want more room before falling off the platform while adding plates
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In for new pics in May of your 12x12 platform once you realize you want more room before falling off the platform while adding plates
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the platform 8'x8'?

Yes.

That has only happened twice since I finished it, I will get used to it
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll need to build one next month.

I was sort of planning to build one in a 'T" shape, the top of the T being where the rack gets bolted and a deadlift platform on the long side. I'll need to do some sketch's and think about with once I get a look at what the cost of materials would be. 3 layers of plywood? then the top layer with the rubber and lifting platform?

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was sort of planning to build one in a 'T" shape, the top of the T being where the rack gets bolted and a deadlift platform on the long side. I'll need to do some sketch's and think about with once I get a look at what the cost of materials would be. 3 layers of plywood? then the top layer with the rubber and lifting platform?

View Quote

Why do a T?

Make it 12x12

6 stall mats and 9 sheets of plywood
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Layer 1 is 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood

Layer 2 is 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood laid on top of layer 1, perpendicular (so the "seam" between the two sheets of each layer crosses instead of lining up with each other).

Layer 3 (the top layer) is 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood laid on top of layer 2, going the same direction as layer one (so perpendicular to layer 2).

I cut out 2'x3' sections from the corners of one of the sheets on layer 3, and inset 3/4" thick horse mat so that the top of the mats is flush with the top of the plywood.

Everything is screwed together from both sides.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Layer 2 is 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood laid on top of layer 1, perpendicular (so the "seam" between the two sheets of each layer crosses instead of lining up with each other).

Layer 3 (the top layer) is 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood laid on top of layer 2, going the same direction as layer one (so perpendicular to layer 2).

I cut out 2'x3' sections from the corners of one of the sheets on layer 3, and inset 3/4" thick horse mat so that the top of the mats is flush with the top of the plywood.

View Quote

You didn't glue did you?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You didn't glue did you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You didn't glue did you?

No, I plan to move this year so I want to be able to disassemble it.

It will be easier to rebuild in the future if I don't glue it as well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good man, thought ahead, I didn't.  

The first one i gorilla glued the shit out of.  Then six months later when I wanted to switch things around for more Olympic lifts......yup, straight in the trash and started all over again
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The first one i gorilla glued the shit out of.  Then six months later when I wanted to switch things around for more Olympic lifts......yup, straight in the trash and started all over again
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

oofmeme.jpg

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks great. Is that the RML-490? Mine should start arriving in pieces this week. I’m building a similar platform. Did you apply any finish to the plywood? Nice job matching the floor slope!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks great. Is that the RML-490? Mine should start arriving in pieces this week. I’m building a similar platform. Did you apply any finish to the plywood? Nice job matching the floor slope!
View Quote

It's the RM-4, which honestly is way more rack than I need. But I'm hoping it becomes a family heirloom

No finish on the platform, but I may put something on it. The rubber feet on the bench are already marking it up. So I'm going back and forth between putting a protective (but non-slick) finish on it, and "fuck it it's a lifting platform."

For figuring out the slope I just took a straight 8' 2x4 and put a level on it, then shimmed it up till level. Just worked out that it was a 1.5" drop over 8'. Then calculate height each spacer would need to be at 1' intervals.

I rep PR'd squats today, gonna go ahead and attribute that to the nice level platform
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's the RM-4, which honestly is way more rack than I need. But I'm hoping it becomes a family heirloom

No finish on the platform, but I may put something on it. The rubber feet on the bench are already marking it up. So I'm going back and forth between putting a protective (but non-slick) finish on it, and "fuck it it's a lifting platform."

For figuring out the slope I just took a straight 8' 2x4 and put a level on it, then shimmed it up till level. Just worked out that it was a 1.5" drop over 8'. Then calculate height each spacer would need to be at 1' intervals.

I rep PR'd squats today, gonna go ahead and attribute that to the nice level platform
View Quote

I choose not to finish mine so when it gets scuffed up I can hit it with some sandpaper and clean it right up.
Works great.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I choose not to finish mine so when it gets scuffed up I can hit it with some sandpaper and clean it right up.
Works great.
View Quote

Good call, I didn't think about that.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there enough room/clearance to deadlift inside the rack? (if you wanted to, I know that your platform is not setup that way with the rubber)

I am looking at either an RM-3 with room outside to deadlift or an RM4, but I would have to DL inside due to space constraints.
I think that I would prefer the RM4 assuming the deadlifting inside is feasible. It looks like the the 2 pieces of rack spanning front to back are low enough to not interfere with a DL w/ normal 45lb diameter plates.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is there enough room/clearance to deadlift inside the rack? (if you wanted to, I know that your platform is not setup that way with the rubber)

I am looking at either an RM-3 with room outside to deadlift or an RM4, but I would have to DL inside due to space constraints.
I think that I would prefer the RM4 assuming the deadlifting inside is feasible. It looks like the the 2 pieces of rack spanning front to back are low enough to not interfere with a DL w/ normal 45lb diameter plates.

Thanks!
View Quote

@Guido2006

It looks like there would be. The bottom supports on mine are 1 hole higher than they could be (I installed one this way without realizing it and didn't want to re-do it ) and it is about 1" too high to deadlift inside of. So in the bottom hole it should just clear.

Realistically if you bolted it to a platform or to your foundation the bottom support doesn't seem all that necessary tbh.

Also, the RM-3 should be plenty large. The RM-4 is bigger than what I pictured in my head. There's more front-to-back room than needed to squat/press/bench inside of it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#21]
i have an rml 390 with 30 inch inside depth and wouldn't have issues doing deads inside.  anything less is be concerned bit a 30 to 40 inch deep your g2g
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top