Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2023 7:05:40 PM EDT
I have two Giant hybrid bikes for the wife and I. They are 20-years-old but decent bikes. The plastic cable housings have deteriorated and would like to replace.

- I've been around bikes for decades and think this is a DIY (or I could just drop at shop and pay the man)
- I'm finding kits online. Are the cables and cable covers "cut to length"?
- May not need to replace cables as I have kept well lubed. Will inspect.

Quick pic of current bike condition:

I'll measure my housing diameters but am finding kits like this on Amazon
Cable Housing

Any input would be great.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If you need to replace them, pull the cables and cable guides, then take them to the bike shop and they'll cut to length some new pieces for you.

If you don't know how to properly adjust derailleurs and brakes, take the bikes in and have them do it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you will pretty much need a SRAM XX SL T-type Eagle Transmission.  This will eliminate the need for a cable or housing and will be the best solution moving forward.

The sensible choice.

ETA:  oops, not GD…
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Walmart has cable replacement kits for about $10 each. Work fine for this application but will need
To be cut to length
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the way. Make sure you have a sharp side cutter too. Score the plastic sheathing with a knife blade through to the shield. Use a quick clean cut with the dikes. Use a small nail to make sure its open before passing the cable through. Brakes are easy. Shifter cable can be tricky but lots of YT for that. You can do it!
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Plenty of videos online to walk you through it, a little searching and you're in.  You'll need some good cable cutters. I have Park Tools # CN-10 PROFESSIONAL CABLE AND HOUSING CUTTER. If I can do, any idiot with a tape measure can.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you need to replace them, pull the cables and cable guides, then take them to the bike shop and they'll cut to length some new pieces for you.

If you don't know how to properly adjust derailleurs and brakes, take the bikes in and have them do it.
View Quote

This is the answer.
If you don’t know how to make it work correctly take it to a shop.
It’ll save a lot of headaches

Unless you love headaches that lead to enlightenment

Go for it. It’s really not difficult.

Buy a good cable cutter
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Cable cutters, not dykes. You need round things to stay round. Bike are a good excuse to buy tools, most things aren't too expensive.

I prefer Jagwire, plenty of kits on Amazon or at your local shop. They can also cut housing to length (it will most likely be Jagwire they stock by the spool) and sell you the cables, but you won't get all the ends and spacers in a neat little kit.

Derailer B tension should stay the same, adjust upper and lower limits and set the barrel adjusters. Brakes are easy too.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, I'll Youtube some DIY and decide if I want to tackle or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top