Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2020 11:09:55 AM EDT
I started getting a dull ache doing pulling exercises so took a couple weeks off. It's been a couple months now and it's getting a little better but still there. Seems to hurt worse when I keep my arm bent for a long time like holding a book in front of me or a dumbbell doing goblet squats. I can curl or do pulls palm up with no pain. It bothers me palm down or sideways. Any idea what I injured and how to recover from it? On a scale of 1 to 10 it's like a 3 so not really bad. It just doesn't seem to get better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Strange question... how's your rotator cuff?

Rotator cuffs are notorious for "refered" pain, where the pain feels like it's coming from somewhere else.   I had to have some of my RT tendons reattached, and when they bother me, quite often it *feels* like my bicep is hurting, deep against the bone.  It's weird.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it's okay. No problems benching and no shoulder pain.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it's okay. No problems benching and no shoulder pain.
View Quote

I hurt my shoulder a few years ago unloading a big welder. Im assuming it was where the bicep inserted because curling motions hurt.

Bowling was a bastard for month, it took forever to heal.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:07:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I've suffered from a similar injury, probably from overdoing pullups and the rowing machine a few years ago. It's lower bicep where it wraps across the inside of the elbow onto the forearm. Still have issues doing pullups and reverse curls with a lot of weight, and I also notice it when holding a phone to my ear for a long time or similar situations where my arms stays bent at 90 degrees for an extended time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've suffered from a similar injury, probably from overdoing pullups and the rowing machine a few years ago. It's lower bicep where it wraps across the inside of the elbow onto the forearm. Still have issues doing pullups and reverse curls with a lot of weight, and I also notice it when holding a phone to my ear for a long time or similar situations where my arms stays bent at 90 degrees for an extended time.
View Quote
That describes it perfectly. I noticed when I tighten my bicep, rotating my hand will make it hurt so I think it's injured near the elbow. I started using ice after working out even if it doesn't hurt and switched all my pulling exercises to palm up for now. I did bent rows for the first time in about a month last night and it wasn't as bad but I only used 40lb dumbbells.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Same here.  Exact thing.

Mine will cease hurting after warm ups, but it comes back post workout.  The first set of hammer curls will inflame it, but subsequent sets don't hurt.

A buddy of mine claims its tendinitis or tennis elbow.  I just keep an eye on it and massage the area where it hurts.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Getting old sucks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Getting old sucks.
View Quote
You said it man.

I hate not being invincible anymore.

I'm gonna have a friend look at it tonight.  If he can fix it, I'll post the results.  If he makes it worse, I'll post the results one-handed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Same here.  Exact thing.

Mine will cease hurting after warm ups, but it comes back post workout.  The first set of hammer curls will inflame it, but subsequent sets don't hurt.

A buddy of mine claims its tendinitis or tennis elbow.  I just keep an eye on it and massage the area where it hurts.
View Quote

I've found that this is usually the thing that helps me the most whenever I hurt myself. Shoulder, elbow, knee.

I find where the banged up tendon inserts and then where it is the most tender, and just go to town on it, I use one of the balls on the back knobber typically as I can't push hard enough with my fingers.

It's the most uncomfortable thing, but always seems to help provided I stay consistent with it. I watched a video where a physical therapist described doing basically the same thing, and said it helps prevent new scar tissue and helps break up existing scar tissue so you can heal closer to normal.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Same here.  Exact thing.

View Quote

Pretty sure that's what it is. I get it too. I try not to aggravate it.

Lots of band work.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Going to try some forearm exercises and cut back my pulling exercises for a few weeks. I put together some metal cabinets that must have had 8 million screws and I noticed afterwards the pain was gone for a while. Seemed like turning the screwdriver helped it out
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Going to try some forearm exercises and cut back my pulling exercises for a few weeks. I put together some metal cabinets that must have had 8 million screws and I noticed afterwards the pain was gone for a while. Seemed like turning the screwdriver helped it out
View Quote

Wish I could tell you my buddy showed up and performed some miracle to make it better, but he chicken-shitted out on our poker game because it was his wedding anniversary weekend.

I'm just gonna keep massaging the area where it hurts.  I really use firm finger tip pressure on the precise area...it hurts like a mother when I do it, but it helps significantly afterwards.

If my guy ever shows up, I'll let you know.  He's a chiro (which I don't personally believe in), but I told him I'd give it a shot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wish I could tell you my buddy showed up and performed some miracle to make it better, but he chicken-shitted out on our poker game because it was his wedding anniversary weekend.

I'm just gonna keep massaging the area where it hurts.  I really use firm finger tip pressure on the precise area...it hurts like a mother when I do it, but it helps significantly afterwards.

If my guy ever shows up, I'll let you know.  He's a chiro (which I don't personally believe in), but I told him I'd give it a shot.
View Quote
I've seen 2 chiros. One screwed me up pretty bad and was a nut case. The other was really good but he stuck mostly with weight training and didn't do many adjustments. He also never adjusted the neck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top