Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2022 11:47:10 AM EDT
Looking for a new bible.

Prefer the NIV but open to other translations.

My problem is I am in a rural area, with no christian book stores near me unless I want to drive an hour or more one way.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The LDS church will bring you one of theirs if you call the local ward.
Probably any church would give you one if you asked.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I like NASB, ESV will do in a pinch. Online might be your best bet to purchase.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link

Schuyler is the way to go if you have the coin.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I typically use the ESV, but will consult other versions from time to time. As a youth I mostly read the NIV, but switched over when I wanted a translation that was more word for word. I felt like the NIV trended towards adding some of its own interpretation to its translation. The NASB is a great option for a word for word translation, but I didn't find it to be highly readable. The ESV I think does a great job of being a literal scholarly translation, while remaining readable.

Honestly I often read the scripture in an app on my phone, but the physical copies I read I received as Christmas presents from my very devout mother.

I know the ESV, NASB, NIV are all critical text translations (from three very early manuscripts). The KJV is a majority text translation (from the Textus Receptus). Thus there are a few slight differences in the versions (like switching the word you with we, or the addition of "in me" after "whoever believes." Does anyone have any firm opinions on which manuscripts should be used as the basis for modern English translations?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Vulgate! Vulgate! Vulgate!

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
ESV Study from Crossway
ESV Thinline custom covered in calfskin given to me by Joel Richardson.  
NASB bought from the bookstore at my church in CO.

ESV has been the best all around translation for me. When I want to study out a passage more in-depth I go to a lexicon in the original language.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Bibles are sold other places besides religious book stores. Walmart , Barnes noble, etc.
The last on I purchased 10years ago was at Walmart.

Our family bible was given to me by the mother of a HS GF, a long long time ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like https://www.olivetree.com/ - browser/windows/mac/ios/android app - all free, along with KJV, NIV, ESV, and then you can purchase other translations, study guides, etc.  Typically I read the KJV in parallel with either the NIV or ESV.  Easy to navigate, and its great to have everything on all my devices. Happy Easter!
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#10]
For print, NIV and ESV. I’m in a big town and Covid killed stores like Lifeway. Order online and get a good study Bible. And, for phone and computer, https://www.blueletterbible.org/ and https://www.biblegateway.com/ are my go to sites.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]
You won't be sorry.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I took my ESV to church today.  Other times it’s my KJV.  Daily reader is ESV.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I think everyone should have a good study bible.  They are a regular bible with references to other scripture, notes, and maps.  It helps you understand what you are reading.  I can recommend John MacArthur's study bibles.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I really loved my Life Application Study Bible in NIV.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Concordia self-study bible, I think it is tailored to the Lutheran Missouri-Synod Church.  I really like it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#16]
My recommendation would the the CSB Study Bible (with the 2020 text).

For deep study, you'll likely read the passage in multiple translations, so for everyday reading I like a Bible that flows naturally. The CSB, or NIV, ESV, NKJV.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I use an NIV Study Bible at Sunday school and Bible study for the study notes and my margin notes. But I'm starting to cross reference to the Evangelical Heritage Version which is many times truer to the Hebrew and Greek, edited by layman committees. I like to side by side compare in Bible Gateway. The print copy I have is easier on the eyes to read as it is only left justified.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks everyone,

I ended up with 2 bibles, both NIV, one is a NIV study bible fully revised the other a Thinline part of the premium collection

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks everyone,

I ended up with 2 bibles, both NIV, one is a NIV study bible fully revised the other a Thinline part of the premium collection

View Quote

If it's the newer revsion of the NIV it will have screwed up (intentionally) the gendered passages on many places to be "inclusive."

If you want to see direct information regarding how the translation is done for the various bibles:

https://www.bible-researcher.com/versbib10.html

https://www.bible-researcher.com/versbib13.html

Realistically, unless you get a known bad translation (think jw/watchtower, that sort of thing, where we can see how they were consistently wrongly translated for no good reasons) if you apply good reading to them (attempting to see what the text itself says) and refuse to speculate on what a passage means, you're going to get the same content out of the various translations.

We tend to go mad fighting over translations.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone,

View Quote

Don’t forget a NKJV if you want something that reads/flows well, also NASB and NRSV. NIV is fine, though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Companion Bible with the appendixes by Bullinger.
Helps you understand the scripture so much better.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I read the King James Version. If you need a copy I will send you one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Don’t forget a NKJV if you want something that reads/flows well, also NASB and NRSV. NIV is fine, though.
View Quote

I really enjoy my NKJV.  I don’t think it’s best translation, but it contains some of the flow of the KJV but with more modern word usage.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The LDS church will bring you one of theirs if you call the local ward.
Probably any church would give you one if you asked.
View Quote

This is true.

I have a “quad” that I got at Dessert Books, but we use the King James Version.

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Douray rheims.  Most accurate translation of the vulgate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looking for a new bible.

Prefer the NIV but open to other translations.

My problem is I am in a rural area, with no christian book stores near me unless I want to drive an hour or more one way.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
View Quote

I just ordered them from Amazon.  
RSV is my favorite
If you want a little style and vulgate - go Douay–Rheims
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I really loved my Life Application Study Bible in NIV.
View Quote

This!!

You recommended it to me along with some others I purchased to help me understand what I'm reading.  This one is my favorite!  I can't wait to read it each evening and reflect on it using the notes provided.  It's part of my time with God and learning about Him.

So @leib109, thanks so much for the recommendation, it really helps me to stay interested and understand it all to read through the entire text.

For more study of my Catholic faith, I also use the Ignasius study Bible.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Schuyler Bibles are definitely cool.

As far as translations, I like to read them all.
There is a free Bible app (YouVersion) that can give every English translation for free.
I love it.

My daily readers are NIV and NLT.
I want the Word to speak to me in plain English, so I don't miss a thing.

A good study Bible is the Life Application study Bible.
Lots of notes on how each verse can be applied to daily living.
It is available in most translations.

If you want to study the meaning of individual words, the Key Word Study Bible is awesome.
Has numbers by the words that you look up the Greek or Hebrew definitions in the back.
Also available in NIV, KJV, and many other translations.

If you want to enjoy the Bible as soon as you pick it up, get one with a genuine leather or goatskin cover.
I smile every time I hold one of mine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#30]
ESV wide margin. Purchased off Amazon if I recall correctly.

In hindsight, I would rather have the cheapo $35 cardboard backed ESV single column journaling bible as I write a lot of notes.

(The reasons for the ESV are that it has paragraph breaks. The KJV is just unreadable anymore)
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This!!

You recommended it to me along with some others I purchased to help me understand what I'm reading.  This one is my favorite!  I can't wait to read it each evening and reflect on it using the notes provided.  It's part of my time with God and learning about Him.

So @leib109, thanks so much for the recommendation, it really helps me to stay interested and understand it all to read through the entire text.

For more study of my Catholic faith, I also use the Ignasius study Bible.
View Quote

@AlmightyTallest I’m so glad you are enjoying it!
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#32]
And if anyone is looking, you can get the Faithlife Study Bible in the Lexham English Bible translation for free for Android or Apple.

And once you're keyed in to Faithlife/Logos, you can get their free book of the month, free e-book of the month, free Catholic book of the month from Verbum, and free audio book of the month.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:06:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I like The Amplified Bible because it's in clear direct modern English with precise expanded word definitions, and without the archaic phony religious piety "thees" and "thous".

I got it in 1965 and although it's pretty worn, I still use it today.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I like The Amplified Bible because it's in clear direct modern English with precise expanded word definitions, and without the archaic phony religious piety "thees" and "thous".

I got it in 1965 and although it's pretty worn, I still use it today.
View Quote
FWIW, the "thee's, thou's, and you's" in the Douay-Rheims/KJV were akin to the Spanish use Informal vs Formal. More interestingly, in that era "thee" and "thou", etc., showed familiarity whereas "you" was formal. Language did, as language does, morphed, and became associated with the opposite, inverting informal and formal. Eventually this gave way to one usage.

So when one reads the thee's and thou's, it was the translators' intention they not be read in a "pious" manner, but a manner showing the approachability of God when in that context.

Personally, I blame the Calvinists for this inversion. I don't know that they are actually responsible... I'm just blaming them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#36]
When we attended non-denominational churches, an NIV study bible was always invaluable. Now, for Catholic study, we really like the NABRE (and of course it contains the 7 missing books.... )
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

FWIW, the "thee's, thou's, and you's" in the Douay-Rheims/KJV were akin to the Spanish use Informal vs Formal. More interestingly, in that era "thee" and "thou", etc., showed familiarity whereas "you" was formal. Language did, as language does, morphed, and became associated with the opposite, inverting informal and formal. Eventually this gave way to one usage.

So when one reads the thee's and thou's, it was the translators' intention they not be read in a "pious" manner, but a manner showing the approachability of God when in that context.

Personally, I blame the Calvinists for this inversion. I don't know that they are actually responsible... I'm just blaming them.

View Quote

I avoid becoming entangled in the issue by referring to Scriptures translated into simple contemporary English.
I understand this is just my own personal preference, and am totally fine with anyone else's choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top