Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2023 2:42:24 PM EDT
The copies are getting insanely good!

One is a genuine Skydweller purchased from an AD, one is a fake that came into the AD. I will not tell you which is which. Look forward to the guesses and why you’ve reached that conclusion.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#1]
My vote is left is real. The fonts seems more centered and full.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow...

I'm guessing the one on the left is fake. The crown doesn't look right.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm fairly confident the one on the right is the real McCoy. Hard to be certain with just one photo. The spacing between the Rolex text and the red triangle looks substantially different. I thought the month display was a jumper, where the watch in the left shows white and red. It might just be the photo, but the left crown looks strange.

I'll really feel like an idiot if it turns out I'm wrong haha
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
My guess is the left is fake due to the crown and the bevel on the date window looks not crisp.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm no expert but the machining looks a bit off on the left. I'm just going to say get both and you might end up with a genuine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Plot twist. Both are fake.

But the left one looks faker.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The details of the fake are much more obvious when blown up from a high resolution image and on a 27" screen for sure.

I can tell you that on the wrist, the owner of the authentic watch had difficulty telling.

Dead giveaways were the fake does not have a rotating bezel that ratchets/clicks, it just turns and it adjusts the red month marker. The authentic watch controls a number of the settings via the bezel. Weight of the fake was slightly less as the watch does not have any white gold in it, just stainless. Obviously if you removed the caseback you'd know. The fake was timed at +3 second per day on the meter, which is pretty impressive if the movement doesn't shit the bed. The bezel insert GMT function also works on the fake and tracks properly.

Feel bad for the guy who got taken with the fake thinking it was real.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
So which is which?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So which is which?
View Quote

The left is the fake, for the reasons stated, which are really only visible in an enlarged photo or noticeable by handling with familiarity of the authentic.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The one on the right is the real one. The definite difference is the bordering area around the rectangular shapes are blue in the left picture and should be polished metal like in the right. Number 1 and 2. Also the polish has a higher luster. Much finer Ra. What did I win and am I correct?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The one on the right is the real one. The definite difference is the bordering area around the rectangular shapes are blue in the left picture and should be polished metal like in the right.
View Quote

Incorrect, the blue is a reflection of the dial and a result of trying to get a phone camera lens to capture the two side by side at the same angle. Rest assured the hour markers do not have a blue outline.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Incorrect, the blue is a reflection of the dial and a result of trying to get a phone camera lens to capture the two side by side at the same angle. Rest assured the hour markers do not have a blue outline.
View Quote

See my update about the polish. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Before reading, I was going to say left was fake. The “Swiss Made” looks off. Better quality and separation on the right.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Left fake, the bracelet looked ruff, but on a wrist it would be hard to tell
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I own/owned Gens and reps and call me what you will but I’d never buy a Gen Rolex again. Just not worth it for the cost/hassle/shitty AD experience. If I need a 20x loupe and a known Gen to compare to tell if it’s a Gen or a VSF/Clean than I know which one I’m buying lol.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Before reading, I was going to say left was fake. The “Swiss Made” looks off. Better quality and separation on the right.
View Quote

Agreed, with enlarged photos or even close examination with a loupe you could tell. I doubt anybody would see it on the wrist and know.

Scary and a lot of folks are being taken. Yet another reason to only buy from an AD or well established used dealer like DavidSW.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Left fake, the bracelet looked ruff, but on a wrist it would be hard to tell
View Quote

The bracelet looked surprisingly good in person. Lighter because there was no gold in it. Also it doesn’t have the fold over extension on the buckle.

The guy who owns the gen is a friend of mine and he took me to see it. He was shaking his head in disbelief. I wonder if the opened the fake and took photos. I’ll see if I can get them to send me some if they have any. I think the owner of the fake probably sulked away never to be seen again. Who the fuck would buy a used Rolex without taking it to an AD to be verified?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My guess is the left is fake due to the crown and the bevel on the date window looks not crisp.
View Quote
my thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#19]
The one  with18 towards the top is the real one. One with the 20 towards the top is fake. Just look at the writing on the bottom section of the watches.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The one  with18 towards the top is the real one. One with the 20 towards the top is fake. Just look at the writing on the bottom section of the watches.
View Quote

Incorrect
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Incorrect
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect

Then Rolex changed how they make the letter  "A" overnight.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect

If you say so. The one on the right is genuine the one on the left is the fake.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Not Folex, Fauxlex. Faux means fake. Faulex, Fauxcahontas. Faux.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there a crown logo laser etched in the crystal?
When new, did it have a hologram sticker on the back?

I had an eBay seller accidentally send me a Fauxlex when I bought a Chinesium brand.
It had the crown in the crystal, the hologram, everything. But the stem was shabby, the bracelet pins were ill fitting, and it was a lot less heavy than the real thing. It was also the only automatic I ever owned that was within 1-2 seconds a day out of the box. (but when I tried it again a year later, it was about 7-10 seconds off)
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is there a crown logo laser etched in the crystal?
When new, did it have a hologram sticker on the back?

I had an eBay seller accidentally send me a Fauxlex when I bought a Chinesium brand.
It had the crown in the crystal, the hologram, everything. But the stem was shabby, the bracelet pins were ill fitting, and it was a lot less heavy than the real thing. It was also the only automatic I ever owned that was within 1-2 seconds a day out of the box. (but when I tried it again a year later, it was about 7-10 seconds off)
View Quote

Yes to the logo on the crystal, no idea if it had a hologram sticker on the back when new.

The bracelet seemed pretty nice. The screws were flush. The stem was a little gritty when I tried it. Weight was slightly noticeable with one in each hand, but not so stark that you’d notice if you only had the fake with no genuine to compare it to.

In any event caveat emptor!
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I picked the left as the fake due to the hands being too long and over hanging the markers but it could just be the angle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#27]
It would be nice to have a super fake waiting on something like the Skydweller blue call from an AD.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 12:38:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a gen 116610ln, my brother has a higher end fake. At a glance you couldn’t tell the difference. Side by side you can tell.. adjust the crown and you can easily tell which is a gen.

He did tell me a lot of guys will purchase the high end fakes and swap over a gen crown, dial, hands and bezel.. at that point you probably couldn’t tell.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a gen 116610ln, my brother has a higher end fake. At a glance you couldn’t tell the difference. Side by side you can tell.. adjust the crown and you can easily tell which is a gen.

He did tell me a lot of guys will purchase the high end fakes and swap over a gen crown, dial, hands and bezel.. at that point you probably couldn’t tell.
View Quote

That seems like a lot of work, and I have to imagine pretty expensive to source the gen parts.

I do know a guy who has several gen Rolexes in his safe unworn and he has high end replicas that he wears. His reasoning is if the fakes get damaged or stolen, oh well, he'll replace them for a fraction of the cost. No idea what the deductible is for the genuine watches. I'm pretty sure the gens were purchased as an investment. In his case he doesn't wear a fake because he can't afford it, and with his means I don't think anybody would ever guess he was wearing a fake given that he drives luxury European sports cars. It is rather comical as he could wrap a $200k car around a telephone pole, and that car is rarer than the watches he hordes in his safe. He has enough money to be considered eccentric and not just loopy.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#31]
right is real.  The down arrow spacing is correct.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
right is real.  The down arrow spacing is correct.
View Quote

Yup, it is pretty obvious side by side in a magnified photo. But anybody who says they would know on the wrist is full of shit, and few would know if they didn’t have a genuine example nearby or at least a good photo. When you manipulate the crown or bezel, and how the complications work it’s a dead giveaway. The guy who bought this thinking it was real didn’t do his due diligence and he paid the stupid tax as a result.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Kind of makes you wonder why Rolex is so expensive when a fake can be made so close to the real thing at a fraction of the price.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#34]
was the fake put on a timegrapher? if so what were the numbers?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#35]
How much for a top notch cake?

Link to seller?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Both are missing the current Swiss Made crowns at the bottom of the dial.

Current

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
was the fake put on a timegrapher? if so what were the numbers?
View Quote

Buried in another of my responses above. +3 seconds per day on the fake.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Both are missing the current Swiss Made crowns at the bottom of the dial.

Current

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/238973/IMG_2784-2876736.jpg

View Quote

Interesting. I know the gen was obtained new from an AD last year so this must be a 2023 update to the dial.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Fake on the right.  Notice the slack or play in the pins that make up the wrist band.
 At the very top you can see the result of the loose tolerance. Looks like the top of a castle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fake on the right.  Notice the slack or play in the pins that make up the wrist band.
 At the very top you can see the result of the loose tolerance. Looks like the top of a castle.
View Quote

The right is the genuine.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Interesting. I know the gen was obtained new from an AD last year so this must be a 2023 update to the dial.
View Quote

Also a movement update.  It's so hard to tell a fake without feeling it.  Usually they don't fell as heavy and the bezel isn't as crisp.  The bands are usually a give away as well.  The dial on the right appears to be correct with the font and symbols spacing.

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't purchase a Rolex second hand unless I know the seller or from an authorized dealer.  I wouldn't buy new unless from an authorized dealer.  The copies are getting so good it almost impossible to tell on the wrist.  There is nothing wrong with people who like to wear copies.  I'm not that guy though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How much for a top notch cake?

Link to seller?
View Quote

Of a Skydweller or something like a Submariner?  The subs with original hands, maybe dial etc. look to be around 1250-1500. Depends what you want to swap out for real parts etc. Regular "super fakes" with all Chinese parts are still in the $500 range I think.  They've gotten surprisingly good but aren't in the realm of the franken watch fakes made with genuine movements, dials hands, crystals yet.

I Tried to Buy a Super Fake Rolex GMT-Master II Pepsi
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#43]
For me the left was the fake because:

1)  the lugs on top look really not good compared to the lugs on the one on the right.

2)  the crown on the left watch is finished pretty badly.  It was the only obvious thing I could spot, but it is very noticeable when comparing them side by side like this.  Look how crisp the one on the right is compared to the left.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Real on the right. Cyclops magnification is incorrect on the left.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#45]
As documented in a recent post, I purchased my first Rolex (sub-date) from an AD. I had a friend over recently who’s also into watches. He owns a couple gen watches, including Rolexes, but he also has a few replicas. He keeps his gens for nicer occasions and wears his replicas 90% of the time. He brought over his replica sub-date and I took a few comparison photos. I can tell the different because I know what to look for, but if you didn’t have a gen to compare side by side, it would be really tough, especially if someone was wearing one and you were a few feet away. So, which one do you all think is the gen (#1 or #2)?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As documented in a recent post, I purchased my first Rolex (sub-date) from an AD. I had a friend over recently who’s also into watches. He owns a couple gen watches, including Rolexes, but he also has a few replicas. He keeps his gens for nicer occasions and wears his replicas 90% of the time. He brought over his replica sub-date and I took a few comparison photos. I can tell the different because I know what to look for, but if you didn’t have a gen to compare side by side, it would be really tough, especially if someone was wearing one and you were a few feet away. So, which one do you all think is the gen (#1 or #2)?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58505/IMG_3344_jpeg-2896560.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58505/IMG_3343_jpeg-2896561.JPG
View Quote

The rehaute on the bottom is perfectly aligned with the Rolex crown at 12 perfectly centered and all of the letters aligning perfectly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The rehaute on the bottom is perfectly aligned with the Rolex crown at 12 perfectly centered and all of the letters aligning perfectly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58505/IMG_3344_jpeg-2896560.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58505/IMG_3343_jpeg-2896561.JPG

I’ll refrain from giving the answer now until others have chimed in, but from my research even the rehauts on gens can be misaligned (it’s actually not the rehaut that’s off, it’s the dial slightly misaligned).
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I’ll refrain from giving the answer now until others have chimed in, but from my research even the rehauts on gens can be misaligned (it’s actually not the rehaut that’s off, it’s the dial slightly misaligned).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm aware, but I've seen many fakes of many different makes and models and bezel/dial/rehaute alignment is often off. Nothing that can be seen casually, but magnified it can be very apparent. And yes I've seen gens off as well... which is inexcusable for a watch costing several thousand dollars.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm aware, but I've seen many fakes of many different makes and models and bezel/dial/rehaute alignment is often off. Nothing that can be seen casually, but magnified it can be very apparent. And yes I've seen gens off as well... which is inexcusable for a watch costing several thousand dollars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree definitely inexcusable and it’s one of the first things I look for as well.

Been a member on The Rolex Forum for a while and the members there make excuses for Rolex on small details/defects that should have been taken care of before leaving the factory.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those watches aren't "replicas" they'e counterfeits that should be smashed flat with a big hammer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top