Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2021 11:25:25 PM EDT
In today's ammo environment people are buying where and what they can when and where it is available.

I see obvious reloads being sold at every gun show.

It is human nature that people reloading for other people might not take the same care as if they were reloading for themselves.  Or people with little experience trying to make a buck.

I found these at the firing line.  

Primers falling out and obviously unfired bullets falling out.   These might not have been bought reloads and just was a shit that was a shit reloader, but I doubt it as he probably wouldn't have left them.  These are probably purchased reloads.  

Be careful out there and stay safe.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I always lol at the gun show guys with ziplock baggies full of reloads for sale. Wouldn't shoot em with your gun and hands
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Psh, free components
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In today's ammo environment people are buying where and what they can when and where it is available.

It is human nature that people reloading for other people might not take the same care as if they were reloading for themselves.  Or people with little experience trying to make a buck.

Primers falling out and obviously unfired bullets falling out.   These might not have been bought reloads and just was a shit that was a shit reloader, but I doubt it as he probably wouldn't have left them.  These are probably purchased reloads.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Also could have been someone's dummy rounds and they were practicing malfunction drills.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought one of those cases of Freedom 124gr remans for $198 and it got delivered today. Visually inspected them all and they look fine. But after reading horror stories, I’m weary. But it appears the issues were with rifle ammo, not pistol.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve fired one gazillion reloads. All loaded by me though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The only "reloads" I've ever purchased at a gun show was some new brass .38 S&W since it pretty much doesn't  exist.
Not just some random schlub selling ammo either, but a localish loader of oddball and buffalo ammo.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always lol at the gun show guys with ziplock baggies full of reloads for sale. Wouldn't shoot em with your gun and hands
View Quote

Local LGS guy goes to garage sales/flea markets/etc., and buys any and all ammo including reloads and unknown source and sales it out of ziploc sandwich bags.
I have looked at some of the ammo before and it is pure shit yet he will put it on the shelf for sale.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also could have been someone's dummy rounds and they were practicing malfunction drills.
View Quote

Doubtful.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Years ago a buddy and myself were at a local indoor gun range shooting pistols.  We noticed a couple of guys at the other end having issues with their pistols.  Eventually we hear some weird noises and walk down to talk with them. One guy blew up his handgun and another had some serious issues.

Turns out they were shooting ammo bought at a gun show. Rounds were in a ziplock bags and they told us the guy that sold them the ammo said it was the same stuff Blackwater was using.  Moral of the story is don't buy some random dudes reloads. Especially if he tells you it's the same stuff Blackwater is using.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
A number of years ago, I had 2 Glocks that ended up with pitting on the breach face from using reloads and getting leakage around the primers.  This was department supplied range practice ammo during the '12 ammo crisis so I am guessing quality control on primers or overused cases caused this.  Since that time I refuse to use any reloads and when I was still on the department after that, I brought my own ammo for practice and qualification.  I switched to a TRP not long after and no way did I want it damaged.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The only "reloads" I've ever purchased at a gun show was some new brass .38 S&W since it pretty much doesn't  exist.
Not just some random schlub selling ammo either, but a localish loader of oddball and buffalo ammo.
View Quote

I'll buy reloads, but in very specific and limited circumstances.  Like the above.

Not from Mr. (I've never seen at a show before) 60 ziplock baggies on the table.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#13]
It's pretty clear in the pic OP posted the projectiles have been fired.

1st one has powder burn on the back....2nd one has clear rifling marks.

Regarding the missing the primers.....I have seen primers backwards in factory ammo, but not missing primers.
I've made primer-less rounds as dummy rounds before, but added some silicone to the primer pocket for the firing pin to smack into.
So unless some powder falls out of the primer hole on those rounds, who really knows what the history is.

And primers don't just "fall out". I takes some force to seat a primer.

I think OP is making some claims that don't add up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've fired one gazillion reloads. All loaded by me though.
View Quote
So not at all what OP is warning about?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
And a line of old duffers eager to buy that crap
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bought one of those cases of Freedom 124gr remans for $198 and it got delivered today. Visually inspected them all and they look fine. But after reading horror stories, I’m weary. But it appears the issues were with rifle ammo, not pistol.
View Quote

I've fired thousand of freedom munitions 9x19 and 45 acp remanufactured cartridges with no problems not even a fail to fire .  I stopped buying from them because on 2 occasions my cc info was compromised.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#18]
OP you saw these bullets fired? Or us this conjecture?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#19]
That middle bullet has been fired, you can see the rifling
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:13:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's pretty clear in the pic OP posted the projectiles have been fired.

1st one has powder burn on the back....2nd one has clear rifling marks.

Regarding the missing the primers.....I have seen primers backwards in factory ammo, but not missing primers.
I've made primer-less rounds as dummy rounds before, but added some silicone to the primer pocket for the firing pin to smack into.
So unless some powder falls out of the primer hole on those rounds, who really knows what the history is.

View Quote

They have not been fired.  Marks are from being pushed into the case.  Go pull a few of your bullets and you will see.  And I most certainly have seen primers fall out of loaded ammo.  Happened to mind a couple of times.  Primer pockets do wear out and you can usually feel it when seating the primer.

These were found on the ground at the firing line.  Not dug out of the berm.  I doubt they went and happened to dig some projectiles out of the berm and look unfired and drop them at the firing line with no other damaged ones they also dug out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone that reloads knows, you don't shoot someone else's reloads.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've fired thousand of freedom munitions 9x19 and 45 acp remanufactured cartridges with no problems not even a fail to fire .  I stopped buying from them because on 2 occasions my cc info was compromised.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll keep an eye on my card, thanks for that info. In regards to the ammo, I couldn’t say no to a $198 case of ammo in these times.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Learned my lesson early on... bought a baggie of .45 LC when I was a kid (adult age kid!), got home and found out I could pull the bullets out of the cartridges with my fingers. Money wasted.

Never again.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:59:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know what happened, if those are not virgin cases, they have a tiny lip on primer pocket  when i encounter that brand by headstamp, I discard them. You can reprime them by reaming the primer pocket very lightly, but way too much trouble when 9mmNATO cases are everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:02:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/29486/20210120_211512-1789120.jpg

View Quote

Is there powder in them, maybe they were doing function checks?

I've reloaded rounds without powder/primer just to check cycling/reliability when tuning a gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:06:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Doubtful.
View Quote

I've used such loads before. It's plausible.

The real tell is if there is powder in them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:09:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They have not been fired.  Marks are from being pushed into the case.  Go pull a few of your bullets and you will see.  And I most certainly have seen primers fall out of loaded ammo.  Happened to mind a couple of times.  Primer pockets do wear out and you can usually feel it when seating the primer.

These were found on the ground at the firing line.  Not dug out of the berm.  I doubt they went and happened to dig some projectiles out of the berm and look unfired and drop them at the firing line with no other damaged ones they also dug out.
View Quote

I've never had one fall out, but after a few reloads, especialy doing +p+ stuff, sometimes the primer pockets get loose.

I've felt a few that the primer didn't feel like it went in tight. I use a single stage press, but on a multi-stage press I could see where one would not notice it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:40:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Would be a lot more dangerous if had primer but no powder.  But yeah, I'd never buy someone else's reloads.

Quoted:
View Quote

Their reloads blew up a friend's 1911...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Turns out they were shooting ammo bought at a gun show. Rounds were in a ziplock bags and they told us the guy that sold them the ammo said it was the same stuff Blackwater was using.  Moral of the story is don't buy some random dudes reloads. Especially if he tells you it's the same stuff Blackwater is using.
View Quote

Yeh, it was the same stuff Blackwater was scattering around the area to blow up anyone who tried to shoot it
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:08:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:10:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone that reloads knows, you don't shoot someone else's reloads.
View Quote

Reloads are a lot like moonshine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've fired one gazillion reloads. All loaded by me though.
View Quote
 Yep.  But I'm meticulous because its my hands and face on the line.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/29486/20210120_211512-1789120.jpg

View Quote

Was there powder in the primerless rounds? I have several made up like that for action/ feed proofing and clearing drills.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I got a case of BVAC .380 for free when we found it inside a skid we got at work. Stuff so far has a 3% failure rate to fire.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just don't plan on reusing the brass unless you work up a separate load for them. Last I saw they were still using stepped brass. If you have never seen it, it reduces volume inside so your normal pressure load may be way hot in those cases.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#36]
So you found some rounds at a range with some obvious problems and you jump straight to blaming it on reloads?

What brought you to that conclusion? Were they yours? Did you see where they came from? How do you know they were reloads?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got given a case of their 9mm that would argue otherwise
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm not buying someone's reloads.  People are tards.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Basically factory though, correct?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#40]
The only reloads I shoot are my own.  I don't mess with reman stuff either.

Never understood the logic of saving dimes per cartridge when it only takes one bad one to cost you a $500-$3,000 firearm (or your fingers/eyes).
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#41]
One of my cousins can't stop himself from buying cheap reloads at gun shows. Found this out the day we're on my range and he let me try his Dan Wesson Pistol-Pac revolver. This is a 357 magnum that comes with four different barrel lengths that you can switch around. They haven't made them for a very long time and they're collectible. On the firing line he loaded it and handed it to me. I'm shooting double action and get a funny sounding report on one round.

I stop to check what's going on and he's saying stuff like "oh just shoot the rest of them and come back to that one" and "I've had a few of them do that". Turns out it was a squib load and there's a jacketed bullet jammed far enough into the forcing cone that the cylinder will still turn. Would have been interesting to fire another one behind it. He claims he'll take care of it when he gets home, even though I say I can do it right there. He blows off my offer so I take that barrel off of it so at least it's not an immediate disaster waiting to happen.

I talk to him a couple months later about something else and he says he still hasn't bothered to knock that bullet out and that he'll take care of it the next time he goes to the range. The next day I drove to his house with a brass rod and knocked it out. While I'm there I see the same pile of crap ammunition in the same ziploc bags sitting on his workbench. Without asking I picked it all up and took it with me when I left.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Can’t find my picture:

SHERRICK13 THREAD!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Seems like some live round scroungers got there before you and pulled the primers, since they are gold now.  You'll probably find a lot of that these days.  Tricky bastards getting that primer out without unseating the bullet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#44]
You know that at least one of those bullets has been fired, right?  They both look like it actually.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#45]
I have several dummy rounds I use for various functions.  Reloads without the powder or primers but I usually don't take them out to the range and leave them there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#46]
No sane individual buys reloaded ammo from unknown individuals which have been reloaded under unknown circumstances.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#47]
jUsT aS GuD
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#48]
When I worked at a gun store people would drop off ammo all the time. Usually cleaning up after an estate being settled. Lots and lots of reloads. I'd always get what I could, then pull and reuse components. Its surprising the variances in the reloads when you break down a few hundred. But no - I reload everything I shoot and would not fire any random reloads and rarely do I let mine go.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The only reloads I shoot are my own.  I don't mess with reman stuff either.

Never understood the logic of saving dimes per cartridge when it only takes one bad one to cost you a $500-$3,000 firearm (or your fingers/eyes).
View Quote

yep. medical bills add up quick when things kaboom.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top