Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2018 4:45:22 PM EDT
I won’t wear gloves. HATE them! I really only need a little extra grip on max pressing sets. I workout at home and don’t want chalk dust all over the place. I’ve been using a little rosin bag made for baseball. It’s about time to get a new one and I was wondering if there are any other options I should be looking at. Ideas?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You need more grip during pressing movements?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
By pressing, you mean deadlifting...right?

They make some stuff called liquid chalk but I’ve never used it. I once saw a guy benching with straps. I thought that was funny as hell but I guess he’s probably never dropped a bar on his face.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#3]
No, bench press and military press.  I don't wrap my thumb around the bar so when my hands get sweaty I need a little extra "friction".
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I once saw a guy benching with straps. I thought that was funny as hell but I guess he’s probably never dropped a bar on his face.
View Quote
EXACTLY!
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No, bench press and military press.  I don't wrap my thumb around the bar so when my hands get sweaty I need a little extra "friction".
View Quote
start wrapping your thumb around the bar would be my suggestion
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

EXACTLY!
View Quote
Another time proven method to not drop the bar on your face is to wrap your thumb around it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is a very dangerous way to to those presses. Wrap your thumbs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#8]
They don't call that the suicide grip for nothing.

1. Grip the bar correctly
2. Get chalk for pulling movements if required (you'll just have to deal with the mess unfortunately).
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Stop doing that. It's wrong.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Meh. I suicide grip OHP. Because Jim Wendler said it was better.

Metolius eco ball

Or just use chalk.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Metolius eco ball

Or just use chalk.
View Quote
I use it while benching because it helps keep my front delts out of the movement and better isolates my pecs.

Eco ball.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Metolius eco ball

Or just use chalk.
View Quote
Not a huge deal with OHP because if/when you lose it the bar goes to the floor.

With bench the bar will try to go to the floor but there's something in the way. Namely your neck.

OP seems to know better though.

The WORST Bench Press Fail -- EVER

I'm all about taking risks, but sometimes the risk/reward ratio is just too skewed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Check out bear komplex grips if you can get past the CrossFit advertising lol. I wouldn’t have bought a pair but a buddy ordered me a pair. I can’t pass them up for free.I don’t use them a lot unless I’m on heavy sets or really sweaty and they definitely help. They’ve held up nicely the past 6 months. I’ll buy another pair when they wear out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Use the chalk.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Check out bear komplex grips if you can get past the CrossFit advertising lol. I wouldn’t have bought a pair but a buddy ordered me a pair. I can’t pass them up for free.I don’t use them a lot unless I’m on heavy sets or really sweaty and they definitely help. They’ve held up nicely the past 6 months. I’ll buy another pair when they wear out.
View Quote
One of my problems with gloves is the leather gets slick when wet with sweat. Kind of defeats the purpose of wearing them in the first place.  Doesn't the same thing happen with these?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to bench with a thumbless grip because some dunce of a 95lb female pe teacher insisted it was correct way back when. When I started making my run at benching 4 plates for the first time I switched to a proper grip because I didn't want to feel my ribs puncturing my organs. Holding the bar with a fist is not only safer but it is a stronger position to press with. If you are over engaging your delts it isn't just due to your grip. Your form needs work. Chances are you aren't properly tucking your elbows, that you are touching too high, and/or not pressing from a propper pause/touch(rapidly switching from descent to ascent tends to engage the front delts).

But yeah, liquid chalk would probably be a good answer to your specific question.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But yeah, liquid chalk would probably be a good answer to your specific question.
View Quote
I use the cheap stuff from the sporting goods store and the only time it makes any type of mess is if I'm stupid with it, or drop a chunk.

The small amount that it takes to make a massive difference is huge.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I use the cheap stuff from the sporting goods store and the only time it makes any type of mess is if I'm stupid with it, or drop a chunk.

View Quote
I bought a pound of it, which was 8 2 oz. blocks, off Amazon. At the rate I am using it, this should last me for almost 2 decades.
I keep it in an ammo can. Just rub some on with my hands over the can then rub my hands together to spread it. Hell, I make more of a mess making dinner.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bought a pound of it, which was 8 2 oz. blocks, off Amazon. At the rate I am using it, this should last me for almost 2 decades.
I keep it in an ammo can. Just rub some on with my hands over the can then rub my hands together to spread it. Hell, I make more of a mess making dinner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, a chunk the size of a golf ball seems to last forever, I have a whole bowl full of them.

The one thing I don't like about it is how it gets into the knurling on the bar. It needs to be cleaned out every now and then.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#21]
"ALL SPORTS EXPERIENCE INCREASED PERFORMANCE - Black Widow is the #1 rated liquid chalk. Used for Rock Climbing, Weightlifting, Golf, Baseball, Tennis, Pole Dancing, Football, anywhere the grip and dry hands are essential."

Sweet!  I can get my groove on at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#22]
is OP serious?

No gloves. Get chalk or liquid chalk if your gym doesn't dry chalk.
Wrap you thumbs around the bar or someday you will pay the price.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Squeezing the bar tightly is part of proper bench technique.  The suicide grip is retarded.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#24]
thirded on chalk. get the bricks from rogue. keep them in a tupperware. dont crush it up, leave the block whole and just rub on your hands. should be minimal mess.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Grip training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top