Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2021 2:36:03 PM EDT
Never been able to find a “best” wiper blade. They may last for a while, but do a streaky job. Or they work well but only for a couple months before they start to separate.

So what wipers have you had the best luck with?Trico, Bosch, Rain-X, Michelin, Anco?  Whatcha got that works? Keep in mind I’m in MI so they need to be snow/ice capable. Also prefer they have a matching rear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
OEs are best.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Bosch Icon
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Bosch ICON.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OEs are best.
View Quote

Generally, car manufacturers aren’t making their own wiper blades. Just like they don’t make their own tires, or brake pads, or spark plugs, etc. there isn’t necessarily just one OE, and those OE suppliers can change from year to year depending on supply and price.

So no offense, but “OEs are best” means very little. And frankly, OE isn’t necessarily best anyway.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I have tried just about every brand and model across all my vehicles. I think the Texas heat/sun has a lot to do with it, but none of them seem to provide a significant difference.  These days I try to keep the windshield clean, with a good coat of Rain-x on them.  Then I run a budget blade.  Gives me the best performance and I change the blades when they begin to skip.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bosch Icon
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Bosch Icon.

Have had my truck for 6 years. Put a set on right when I got it and didn't have to replace them until last year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I buy them cheap from rockauto.  Don't care about brand.

For ford explorer, they usually run me $5-6 each, but I try to buy when they have a closeout and typically pay $2 each.  I try to keep 3-4 sets on hand so I don't run out and can wait out sales.

I'm also in MI and I usually get a year or more out of them before they don't work as well as I'd like.  At the price I pay, I just toss them and replace if they start streaking or tear.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using the RainX ones and they seem to do a fine job.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OEs are best.
View Quote
FPNI.

Stick with OEM and replace them regularly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#11]
BOSCH everything is shit.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been using Bosch Icons for years, just grabbed some other brand to try.  Here in TX I swap out whenever they stop working as well.  I'm better about doing a good scrub of windscreens before replacing them now than I used to be, of course I'm doing it in a comfy garage now, and not a parking lot in miserable weather.

Blows some people's minds I was putting new ones on twice a year in upstate NY, and they would just have pallets of washer fluid at every gas station.

Anything is better than the old metal frame style.  Had good luck with any of the beam style I used to associate with winter blades.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OEs are best.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#14]
In 2015 I put a set of PIAA silicon blades on my wife's vehicle. They were still working fine when we sold it last year. I bought a set for her replacement vehicle about 6 months ago. They are pricey at $50 a set, but they work great and last a really long time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OEs are best.

I go with Valeo.  They are OEM for many car wiper blades.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I buy the ones from Costco when they are on sale. Haven’t seen a need to spend any more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bosch Icon.

Have had my truck for 6 years. Put a set on right when I got it and didn't have to replace them until last year.
View Quote

Same.
And mine still worked pretty well. The attachment point caps were all faded and unsightly looking so I replaced them.

ETA: I have the similar looking RainX ones on the wife's truck. Have only used them once for about 5 minutes but they seem to work ok. Wipers don't wear out here, the mostly rot from not being used for 6-8 months at a time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#18]
PIAA silicon blades
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bosch Icon
View Quote

I've had good luck with these.

I will try silicone next time I need some.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#20]
They are all garbage, and wear out the same.

Plain old Anco replaced twice a year, costs less than one set of Gucci wipers that self destruct in the winter.

I gave up years ago.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In 2015 I put a set of PIAA silicon blades on my wife's vehicle. They were still working fine when we sold it last year. I bought a set for her replacement vehicle about 6 months ago. They are pricey at $50 a set, but they work great and last a really long time.
View Quote

This is the answer you want OP. Silicon blades last longer and never make noise. This is why factory wipers are silicon on almost every vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They are all garbage, and wear out the same.

Plain old Anco replaced twice a year, costs less than one set of Gucci wipers that self destruct in the winter.

I gave up years ago.
View Quote
WRONG! Silicon is what you want.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I buy the ones from Costco when they are on sale. Haven’t seen a need to spend any more.
View Quote

I used to buy the $8/ea Goodyear blades from Costco. Then I realized that every time at about the three month mark they'd go to complete shit. I bought a $50 set of Bosch icons about 10 months ago and they still seem brand new.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought the Rain-X brand, and have been very pleased.  They do seem to leave a coating of Rain-X on the windshield, which means that I don't have to turn the wipers on.  Just an intermittent swipe every few minutes, and the windshield is clear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bosch Icon
View Quote

Not for heavy snow/ice country. I had one snap off and the wife-like-critter also did. They both broke at the same spot. They don't like extreme cold or rough, icy windshields or something.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Look up the ProjectFarm video of this on YouTube
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Bosch Icon.

And I do live in severe winter country.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are pricey, but if they ever need replacement you can just by the refills. I went the refill route on OEM hardware and would advise against it, I couldn't get the tension right. But with PIAA hardware they worked fine, just make sure if you ever take the car into service that they don't throw them away.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#29]
The sun kills them all in 6 months here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Ever notice how they seem to last 5+ years on a new vehicle?
And replacements just a couple years?

Just buy a new vehicle!

FWIW, factory blades at local Ford dealer we're only a couple bucks more than Walmart specials
Batteries were same or cheaper!

( I get 20% off)
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I used to use Bosch icon, but the last few years they just don't hold up. I have switched to PIAA and I am pretty happy with them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I also recommend these.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#33]
RAIN-X RAIN-X RAIN-X

Mine are 6-7 yrs old and they still work

this year they get retired

a goddamn viking funeral for them
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I buy the cheapest rain-x and replace a couple times a year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The sun kills them all in 6 months here.
View Quote

Yep, they aren't designed to last long. 6-9 months. Sun, washer fluid(methanol) and pitting kills them.

I buy cheap Bosch Direct Connect blades for 8.95 and replace them often. A new cheapo blade beats a worn $35 blade any day
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#36]
OEM
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I use Rain X wiper blades and Rain X washer fluid, I’ve been happy with the combination.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Bosch ICON.
View Quote

SPNI
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Bosch Icon.

And I do live in severe winter country.
View Quote

We had horrible luck with the two vehicles we tried them on. Bought at different times from different stores. Loved them until the attachment point broke off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Japanese Toyota blades/inserts..I even have them on my 87 chevy 3/4 ton.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Keep them clean, and keep your windshield clean.  Replace at least once a year.  Buy whatever is on sale.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Whatever is cheapest.

I’ve tried them all. They all go to shit in less than a year. Even super duper space shuttle wipers, those ones piss you off because they don’t last any longer than the $9 anco does.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've been using the RainX ones and they seem to do a fine job.
View Quote

I have those on the truck, Bosch on the Lexus suv, both are a few years old now with no issues.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#44]
New wiper blades.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
OEs are best.
View Quote
maybe not best wiper but last longer than box store wipers
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Trico
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#47]
New ones.
Replace them every year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#48]
They are wiper blades. You replace them once a year. It is considered regular maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They are wiper blades. You replace them once a year. It is considered regular maintenance.
View Quote

Damn son you rich or something? Depending on the vehicle I buy cheap or do OEM replacement. Most people don’t know your place just the “rubber” part on the factory wiper blade. Cheap and quality.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Rain Ex, Michelin, or Motium. Most are decent enough any more, but leaving the vehicle outside or using them in icy conditions will really do a number on them.
Happy Shopping
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top