Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2020 11:17:54 PM EDT
After a year long recovery from a knee injury I’m finally to the point of being able to get back to serious leg workouts again!

Needless to say legs have atrified a lot this last year so I have a lot of catching up to do. Really looking to focus on building size and strength back up.

So I’m looking for a really good weight lifting belt for squats and deads. What should I consider as far as thickness? prong or lever? Recommended brand? I was looking at Inzer as well as Rogue. Inzer seems to be the industry’s leader but Rogue is made in the USA.

Thanks for any tips y’all have for me!
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Watch Pioneer for their up coming Christmas sale.
I picked up a 13mm Pioneer Cut stock belt last year during the sale. But, they also did custom belts discount at the same sale.
Pioneer
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Rogue Ohio belt that I like. It’s 10mm, I use it for squad and deadlift - really I use it for just about everything as my broke ass is getting old.

Link Posted: 9/13/2020 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Rogue Ohio belt that I like. It’s 10mm, I use it for squad and deadlift - really I use it for just about everything as my broke ass is getting old.

View Quote

Also have this belt it’s great.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Inzer single prong, I have a 13mm that is an absolute beast of belt.

inzer will occasionally have sales, I think I paid like $65 bucks
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the Pioneer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I find myself borrowing the Best belt I bought my wife a few years back over wearing any of mine. I have a bit of a collection but that one is just really nice. I think it’s the “athletes belt” model. They aren’t cheap or fast but they are really nice, comfy belts.

If I were going to order one for myself and use it for everything I think I’d go with the 3”. I’m not a short guy but I hate pulling in a belt.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have used a couple - for brolifting I like the Rogue and the Spud Inc. Nylon deadlifting belt.
When I got more serious with powerlifting- I got one of these and I really like it. If you are the kind who gets breathing really hard on heavy single lifts- get the lever buckle. Nothing more obnoxious than feeling like you're going over and trying to undo a prong!
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't use a belt starting out.  You need to get back to learning how to manage the weight without a belt before you throw it on to do more.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wouldn't use a belt starting out.  You need to get back to learning how to manage the weight without a belt before you throw it on to do more.
View Quote
you make a good point, I dont put a belt on until Im around 75% or higher. You do need that core strenght before you start relying on a belt for tension.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Not using one at all is probably better than using it wrong. The problem with belts is they seem to offer some support even when you are using them wrong. That usually doesn’t work much past 3 plates or so though.

I figured that out by doing it wrong. I had to go back down to lower than 135 and learn to really brace myself. Then I slowly worked back up to 4 plates before I started wearing it again. I’m still not really sold on it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not using one at all is probably better than using it wrong. The problem with belts is they seem to offer some support even when you are using them wrong. That usually doesn’t work much past 3 plates or so though.

I figured that out by doing it wrong. I had to go back down to lower than 135 and learn to really brace myself. Then I slowly worked back up to 4 plates before I started wearing it again. I’m still not really sold on it.
View Quote

Yes. Most people don't understand why and how to use a belt.  

You can get hurt way worse with a belt if you don't understand what it's for and how to use it.

I hurt myself one time by having it too tight and I wasn't able to properly brace.

I haven't watched this video. But this guy is good about technique.

When Should You Wear A Lifting Belt?
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#12]
The +10 strength belt.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Inzer
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I run a Inzer forever lever for heavy stuff and a Rep fitness nylon one for lighter work. The Inzer is really nice. I believe I paid $95.00 for it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the rogue Ohio also. I like it. It’s well built and has held up to some use and abuse.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m really happy with my Dominion 3-inch belt. Good price and no waiting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Powerlifting Belt Reviews: Pioneer, SBD, Inzer , Titan & More

Cliffs: buy a Pioneer or Best Belts in my opinion

Pioneer 13mm lever for me, which replaced an Inzer 10mm lever that I outgrew. Pioneer will continue to get my business over anyone else. Family business based out of Texas, which is a branch of General Leathercraft that started out making stuff for horses (I don’t know the terminology). I was able to catch Matt, the owner, on an IG livestream and get a glimpse of my built as it was going through production. They also make the best knee and wrist wraps on the market
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#18]
https://generalleathercraft.com/

Pioneer Chirstmas sale is this weekend if you are still looking.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Inzer 100%
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Rogue Ohio is nice but I went with a double layer from eliteFTS.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Pioneer stock belt in Pioneer Cut, or lever f your on a budget. Custom Pioneer belt otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Im a little against the grain on the belts.  I use the spud deadlift belt occasionally when i pull heavy,  up high above my belly button.  That's the only place i feel pressure.  

Stan efferding is the only other person I've seen do that,  i thought i was crazy.  

I might be biased bc i have a strong back and I'm thick but ive pulled 602 and squatted 585 beltless. I don't get anything out of them. 5 lbs maybe.  And since I'm not a powerlifter it doesn't really matter. I still keep a belt in my bag but i don't use it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 2:00:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Z4CIwj5lc

Cliffs: buy a Pioneer or Best Belts in my opinion

Pioneer 13mm lever for me, which replaced an Inzer 10mm lever that I outgrew. Pioneer will continue to get my business over anyone else. Family business based out of Texas, which is a branch of General Leathercraft that started out making stuff for horses (I don’t know the terminology). I was able to catch Matt, the owner, on an IG livestream and get a glimpse of my built as it was going through production. They also make the best knee and wrist wraps on the market
View Quote

I just ordered a Pioneer Lever belt...cant wait to get it.  I am tired of effing with the prongs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#24]
does pioneer have a black friday sale this week?

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
does pioneer have a black friday sale this week?

View Quote

Possibly, but their Christmas sale was more than a month ago.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Possibly, but their Christmas sale was more than a month ago.
View Quote

yea i missed the post on here by a week.  couldn't figure out why a Christmas sale in October then saw their lead times.

oh well, I'll order one Friday regardless.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the Shiek Belts
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Just go my Pioneer lever belt today woot woot.  Got the latch deal dialed in to where it needs to be, It feels good.  Haven't used it yet but will tomorrow.  

It is so nice not effing with the dual prongs that I have on my best belt.  Not knocking best belts, its a great belt but I like to have it really tight and the lever is so much easier.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Pioneer is the standard. Great company and I’ve had outstanding experience with them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 4:08:31 AM EDT
[#30]
If I was going to get another belt, I'd probably go with the Pioneer belt that has those staggered notches. I feel like I'm always between 1 hole being too tight, and the other too loose.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Im still using the inzer lever i got 20 years ago I got in high school.

Its been around the world but it has shrunk
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:07:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes. Most people don't understand why and how to use a belt.  

You can get hurt way worse with a belt if you don't understand what it's for and how to use it.

I hurt myself one time by having it too tight and I wasn't able to properly brace.

I haven't watched this video. But this guy is good about technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9OppAye78s
View Quote

In that vid, he says that the biggest advantage of using a belt, is that you can increase your intra-abdominal pressure for bracing your core while performing the lift.

If this is correct (genuine question. Never really tried  using a belt), what's the benefit/advantage to the thicker belts?

I don't think I could 'expand my abdomen' (as he puts it) enough to stretch a 5mm thick strip of 3"-4" wide leather, so what's the reason for the 10mm, 13mm and even thicker belts? It looks like Pioneer has options from 6.5mm to 13mm. What are the pros and cons for thicker vs thinner?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

In that vid, he says that the biggest advantage of using a belt, is that you can increase your intra-abdominal pressure for bracing your core while performing the lift.

If this is correct (genuine question. Never really tried  using a belt), what's the benefit/advantage to the thicker belts?

I don't think I could 'expand my abdomen' (as he puts it) enough to stretch a 5mm thick strip of 3"-4" wide leather, so what's the reason for the 10mm, 13mm and even thicker belts? It looks like Pioneer has options from 6.5mm to 13mm. What are the pros and cons for thicker vs thinner?
View Quote

my guess is that it's less likely to deform unevenly when creating that pressure.  it stays stiff evenly distributing the force rather than letting your belly blow out and get a hernia
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Forego using belt and learn correct breathing and bracing technique.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I've been doing so far, but I figure there must be valid reasons why competitive lifters in EVERY category/type use them, besides simply looking cool/following the herd.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

my guess is that it's less likely to deform unevenly when creating that pressure.  it stays stiff evenly distributing the force rather than letting your belly blow out and get a hernia
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, that seems like a valid consideration. Leather can/does stretch eventually.

Hmmm... if stretching/deforming unevenly is the main concern, given all the synthetic materials available these days, I wonder if there are companies that make spectra fiber or kevlar reinforced belts?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

completely honest question,  what types of weight are your squatting and deadlifting without using a belt?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Different size people need different sized belts.  I think mine is 13 mm. It doesn't stretch.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Love my Best

http://www.bestbelts.net
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Late to the thread; here are a few things you might want to consider when buying a belt.

Do you compete? If not, don’t be afraid to look at materials or features that wouldn’t be legal in competition, like Spud Inc’s ratcheting belts or Pioneer’s adjustable lever. I’ve used an early EliteFTS econo belt for years; it’s no longer made, but has a hdpe core that makes it unusable in some feds IIRC.

Does your weight (and waistline) fluctuate a lot? If so, maybe consider a prong belt over a lever. Pioneer makes a “Hybrid” that’s nylon over leather; you get the instant adjustment of Velcro and the stiffness of leather.

How much support do you need out of a belt? If you really aren’t lifting super heavy, you might be fine with a cheaper nylon and Velcro type belt like the Cross-faggers wear.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Pioneer.  www.generalleathercraft.com
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:06:11 AM EDT
[#42]
People have great things to say about Pioneer.

I have an Inzer 13mm lever belt, and I love it. It took about 6 months to break in but after three years or so it feels great and shows no wear. It is boring looking but I don't care about looking fancy. It's super supportive and the price is reasonable.

I have heard that the Rogue belts don't hold up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I kinda outgrew the wife’s best belt I’ve been using and decided to get a new one.

Pioneer cut 13mm stock belt:

I wasn't sure about the staggered holes but they work well. Lifted in it twice now and it’s broken in better than my 10yr old elitefts belt.

All the praise for pioneer appears to be well deserved.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm kinda in the market for a new belt too. I took two years off due to injury and then renovating my house and in that time my 10 year old elitefts belt struck to an unusable size.

I have it hanging on the wall now, maybe it will stretch out enough to use by the time I'm lifting weights that need it.

If not the pioneer belt that's brown with black edges will be mine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I kinda outgrew the wife’s best belt I’ve been using and decided to get a new one.

Pioneer cut 13mm stock belt:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196570/F9B4DEFD-C0DF-4E30-A1F5-1FCA19A1E671-1782047.jpg

I wasn't sure about the staggered holes but they work well. Lifted in it twice now and it’s broken in better than my 10yr old elitefts belt.

All the praise for pioneer appears to be well deserved.
View Quote

Is your elite belt the cheaper laminate belt? Mine is and is so stiff that it would gouge into my ribs and hips at times.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Is your elite belt the cheaper laminate belt? Mine is and is so stiff that it would gouge into my ribs and hips at times.
View Quote

Yup. It’s got some kind of hard plastic layer in the middle. I guess that’s why it has never really broken in. The edges are really sharp. Every now and then it must shift a bit lower or something and it will get me pretty good. I’m guessing I could probably fix that with a sander but I kinda just wanted a new one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yup. It’s got some kind of hard plastic layer in the middle. I guess that’s why it has never really broken in. The edges are really sharp. Every now and then it must shift a bit lower or something and it will get me pretty good. I’m guessing I could probably fix that with a sander but I kinda just wanted a new one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're costing me money
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Based on the comments here and all the good reviews/comparisons online, received my 10mm 3" wide Pioneer cut belt.

I like it. The staggered holes allow for a good fit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top