Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:04:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't believe nobody has mentioned "wear armor."

Wear a good suit of armor and chainmail, bull rush right thru his one and only thrust attack he'll get, then beat the shit out of him with your armored fists.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:06:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thing is, unless they have a ridiculously long spear (10 feet or more) it's easy adjust the grip to shorten the amount of spear sticking out.

I've done a LOT of sparing with spear vs sword, it's ridiculously easy to keep a sword at bay, and attacking the feet/lower legs with a spear is supper effective.

Man cannot stand, cannot fight.

Literally the only downside to a spear is the wooden shaft can get broken/cut eventually.

Which is where the Naginata really shines.
View Quote

I would be much more hesitant to use only a sword against a naginata and would not generally attempt it without 2-3 guys

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:08:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's the thing about spears... they are projectile weapons,  too.
View Quote

I would welcome a spearman throwing his only weapon at my sword and shield
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If any of this were accurate, we wouldn't have used spears and polearms as the majority-fielded weapon type for 5000 years straight, aside from some periods of majority archer (protected by... spears).
View Quote

Armies were literally counted by how many spearmen they had, for most of human history.

Scout: "We are being invade!"

King: "How big is the invading force?"

Scout: "5000 spears!"

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:09:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can't believe nobody has mentioned "wear armor."

Wear a good suit of armor and chainmail, bull rush right thru his one and only thrust attack he'll get, then beat the shit out of him with your armored fists.
View Quote

I am assuming both fighters are armored
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:10:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would welcome a spearman throwing his only weapon at my sword and shield
View Quote
Exactly.

Then you're not fighting a man armed with a spear.

Although... Romans carried 2.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:12:50 AM EDT
[#7]
@Stutzmech

He didn't say

And in that case, it's two armored guys eventually beating the shit out of each other, the spear left forgotten haha
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:16:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He didn't say

And in that case, it's two armored guys eventually beating the shit out of each other, the spear left forgotten haha
View Quote

I think a lot of 1 on 1 combat would end like that on the ground wrestling with 2 very skinny stabbing knives trying to find a chink in the armor, with the large weapons layed aside
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:16:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

2 handed sword designed to close on spear/pikemen. Knock cut the shaft aside and close with one hand on the hilt and one on the ricasso. Pivot about the forward hand by swinging the rearward hand up in an arc quickly. The speed of the swing of the blade or a a stabbing attack will completely overwhelm the guy with the sharp stick.
https://www.christies.com/img/LotImages/2013/CSK/2013_CSK_08994_0112_000(a_two-hand_sword_of_landsknecht_type_in_german_16th_century_style).jpg
View Quote

Metallurgy was not advanced enough to make a long sword until very recently in human history.

Literally for thousands of years the spear was the primary melee weapon on the battlefield.

And comparing shield walls and unit tactics is entirely different than one vs one.

By the time the two handed great swords came into use spears were becoming ultra long, 20-25 feet long.

And pole arms are not superior to spears except when used for speciallized unit tactics. All those special polearm shapes were designed for specific roles and functions, not just to look cool.

A polearm is unwieldy and heavy for 1 vs 1 fighting vs most other weapons.

I'd rather have a normal spear than any kind of polearm. Speed and agility is far more important for 1 vs 1 fighting, a polearm is slow and awkward by comparison.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:17:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Walk away. A good spearman can shorten his grip on the spear pretty quickly.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:25:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think a lot of 1 on 1 combat would end like that on the ground wrestling with 2 very skinny stabbing knives trying to find a chink in the armor, with the large weapons layed aside
View Quote

Yep. Go watch a Dog Brothers gathering on youtube. A large percentage of the fights end up on the ground.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:26:05 AM EDT
[#12]
The Romans dominated against spear wielding armies with their large shield and short sword combo, but it probably had more to do with tactics and a professional army. The shorter swords were used due to the difficulty in producing longer blades with the lower quality of steel available at the time and were eventually replaced with longer swords.

So, completely doable with sword and shield assuming you are prepared to deal with the spear man, but I'm not sure it's completely optimal without buddies to stand shoulder to shoulder with you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep. Go watch a Dog Brothers gathering on youtube. A large percentage of the fights end up on the ground.
View Quote

They are pretty badass stickjocks
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:33:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would be much more hesitant to use only a sword against a naginata and would not generally attempt it without 2-3 guys

View Quote

A foot/lower leg is an easy target with a naginata even if they have a shield. And if they are wearing sabatons they will not be able to run/maneuver as quickly.

You can then keep them at bay and strike at them at will, forcing them to charge in if they want to strike back.

Obviously if they decide to charge things may get more equal, but even then the spear/naginata can be used like a staff for defensive purposes as well.

Most people also forget they can kick too. It's very effective to use your weapon to block their weapon and lift it up, then plant a kick to their midsection. At minimum it throws them off balance and allows you to take control of the momentum of the fight.

You almost never see kicks thrown during these matches. I don't know why except maybe it's a co-ordination thing? Or maybe just sensory overload?

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:34:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bring your spear and shield.
View Quote

This.  The hoplite spearman ruled the battlefield for centuries.

Or if your opponent is unarmored,  full plate armor and a warhammer will do the trick.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:40:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A foot/lower leg is an easy target with a naginata even if they have a shield. And if they are wearing sabatons they will not be able to run/maneuver as quickly.

You can then keep them at bay and strike at them at will, forcing them to charge in if they want to strike back.

Obviously if they decide to charge things may get more equal, but even then the spear/naginata can be used like a staff for defensive purposes as well.

Most people also forget they can kick too. It's very effective to use your weapon to block their weapon and lift it up, then plant a kick to their midsection. At minimum it throws them off balance and allows you to take control of the momentum of the fight.

You almost never see kicks thrown during these matches. I don't know why except maybe it's a co-ordination thing? Or maybe just sensory overload?

View Quote
most of my experience is sca and hema, the armor and rules generally preclude kicking, but it's often forgotten that the shield is a very effective offensive weapon in itself
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Romans dominated against spear wielding armies with their large shield and short sword combo, but it probably had more to do with tactics and a professional army. The shorter swords were used due to the difficulty in producing longer blades with the lower quality of steel available at the time and were eventually replaced with longer swords.

So, completely doable with sword and shield assuming you are prepared to deal with the spear man, but I'm not sure it's completely optimal without buddies to stand shoulder to shoulder with you.
View Quote

Romans used spears as well as darts too.

Standard tactic was to engage with skirmishers, close and throw darts, then spears, then engage with swords at the end.

Each heavy soldier carried a spear or two (Pilum) as well as ~3 darts (Plumbata) that were attached to the back of their shield.

Lightly armored skirmishers with slings were an important part.

And they used earth and timber fortifications as part of their unit tactics.

It wasn't as simple as just guys with shields and short swords marching into spearmen.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:44:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
most of my experience is sca and hema, the armor and rules generally preclude kicking, but it's often forgotten that the shield is a very effective offensive weapon in itself
View Quote

Rules? In combat?

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:46:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Rules? In combat?

View Quote

Point taken, but in practice we try not to hurt ourselves too much
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:48:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Just shoot the son of a bitch and the people to the sides also.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:53:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Rules? In combat?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rules? In combat?

The Chinese recently used spears to kill a bunch of Indians in actual combat in an area where firearms are against the rules.  

Anyone know what the tier-1 tactical spear they are using is?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry, but I'm an archer.

The rules would be broken, but the spearman would be dead as shit, and I would never be in any danger.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:56:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Approach from the rear and give him just the tip.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:57:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Chinese recently used spears to kill a bunch of Indians in actual combat in an area where firearms are against the rules.  

https://images.thequint.com/thequint%2F2020-09%2F5a311631-2dd7-4f25-93e3-d72dac679b1a%2Ff5783ef35bddcfa182790cd17f471808.jpg

View Quote

Qiang
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:03:43 AM EDT
[#26]
pike -------> spear
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:10:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://images.thequint.com/thequint%2F2020-09%2F5a311631-2dd7-4f25-93e3-d72dac679b1a%2Ff5783ef35bddcfa182790cd17f471808.jpg

View Quote
Guandao blades
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:34:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:45:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Point taken, but in practice we try not to hurt ourselves too much
View Quote

We always wore safety glasses...

And leather gloves if we were using dull blades.

Mostly we used padded cane of various lengths.  

We never wore armor though, and I never "kicked" anyone, just gave them a push with my foot.

After we all watched that movie about the club we aren't supposed to talk about, the one we aren't supposed to talk about, we sort of maybe thought gently beating each other up was the funnest thing ever.

Blood was rarely spilled, and everybody always had fun.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:54:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Entice spearman to meet with Russian spylet at hotel. Deploy MSM to besmirch and destroy any authoritie spearman may have thought he had, prior to. Send Nasty Girls to disarm.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:55:20 AM EDT
[#31]
For a serious answer, assuming no armor allowed, two short swords may do the trick.

Run in, and parry the spear with one sword while swinging the other at them.

You could also try simply grabbing for the spear with your off hand, when they stab at you as you run in, and hit them with the sword held in your main hand.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:22:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For a serious answer, assuming no armor allowed, two short swords may do the trick.

Run in, and parry the spear with one sword while swinging the other at them.

You could also try simply grabbing for the spear with your off hand, when they stab at you as you run in, and hit them with the sword held in your main hand.
View Quote

That does not work. Its a mass formation spears and shield just works until the formation is broken.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:31:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Do I have access to some bamboo, charcoal, sulfur and salt peter? Perhaps a rudimentary lathe?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Tac-light

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Wait for him to get hungry, then leave a bowl of hot Chinese bat soup out in the field.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Get inside the reach of his spear.

Presuming you have a shorter bladed weapon.  Don't let him smack you with the wood while you're at it.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Hide outside the latrine with a sock full of nickles.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Leave, wait until he is asleep or eating and stab him in the neck. Or maybe set his tent on fire.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most of the period fight manuals end up that way. Meyer is that way. Spar and close to contact then on top with a dagger in the eyeslot if not successful before the ground work.

As for killing a spearman. All really depends on rule set. Each reenactment combat system has their safety built in. SCA- no striking the hands or below 1' above the knee. Dagorhir no blows to the head. Some rules sets even deny thrusting in the interest of safety. Where is the fun in that?

Generally I prefer to get my sword and board guys to threaten the spearman from the front while I flank with my spear. Either they turn and face me and the sword guys get em or they don't... and I get them. Even better they give ground to stay alive and we take the objective.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Most of the period fight manuals end up that way. Meyer is that way. Spar and close to contact then on top with a dagger in the eyeslot if not successful before the ground work.

As for killing a spearman. All really depends on rule set. Each reenactment combat system has their safety built in. SCA- no striking the hands or below 1' above the knee. Dagorhir no blows to the head. Some rules sets even deny thrusting in the interest of safety. Where is the fun in that?

Generally I prefer to get my sword and board guys to threaten the spearman from the front while I flank with my spear. Either they turn and face me and the sword guys get em or they don't... and I get them. Even better they give ground to stay alive and we take the objective.  
View Quote

good comment. ...edit.... Also I prefer spear in melee as well but I like to rag on spear users
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Tell him a spear is a projectile weapon and thus outside the limits of this test.  Hit him in the head with a large rock while he is pondering whether a spear is a projectile weapon or not.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Or if your opponent is unarmored,  full plate armor and a warhammer will do the trick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bring your spear and shield.

Nope. While GoT is just a movie, the duel between the Viper and the Mountain was a fair indicator of what happens between a light, fast spearman vs a slower opponent in full plate. Charging the spearman won't work. They'll be able to evade faster than the guy in plate can charge, and he'll tire out faster.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#43]
trap with punji stakes
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pudao
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#45]
flamethrower for the win!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
pike -------> spear
View Quote

Not 1 on 1.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
flamethrower for the win!
View Quote

Flamethrower "projects" fire so it's a projectile
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#49]
By being a secutor
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top