Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2020 6:37:26 PM EDT
I noticed that my kid's violin concerts sound much better in churches than some other venues.  Wondering why.  Is it the wood?

Anyone have real knowledge on acoustics that can give advice for creating an environment that promotes best sound from string instruments?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a question with alot, and I mean alot, of answers.

Here's a good forum to learn about room/studio design.

Left cold -

https://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
That forum has a TON of info that will take me a long time to sift through.  Thanks for the link and a new rabbit hole.

I was hoping for something more like hard wood walls better than soft wood.  Or acoustic panels cancel outside noise(or reflect noise). I'm making these up because I don't know.  Just scanning the hive for very general info.  No studio, no control room, no fancy speakers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:11:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah, different materials make a difference. But it's like cooking with random ingredients...you don't know what it'll be like until it's all put together. And yes, alot of studios use sound absorbers in strategic locations, mostly to help "tune" a room, knock down reflections, tame certain frequency ranges, ect.

Here's a vid from Ola Englund that touches on why absorbers are used.

And these from Pete Thorn show more of the general "guts" of the studio room he put together.

PETE THORN NEW STUDIO TOUR part 1

PETE THORN STUDIO TOUR PART 2
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Just use your noodle and observe what is different from room to room.

Generally speaking, it is pleasant to the ear when the reflections from an instrument are evenly dispersed, and take a few seconds to decay.

What are the physical differences between the inside of St. Paul's Cathedral and an empty garage?

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I can tell, OP, you're not asking a "studio" question.

Recording studios and live music venues are two different animals. Different design approaches, different purposes.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I can tell, OP, you're not asking a "studio" question.

Recording studios and live music venues are two different animals. Different design approaches, different purposes.

View Quote

Correct.  Right now I am thinking of what I can add to my little room to enhance the sound of the violins.  

Years from now, when I build a house, I will look at more of a ground-up construction approach. (Though still not a studio, just a room for playing and enjoying music in).
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Look for some used carpet type office partition panels (the narrow ones are more desirable). Then just experiment with their placement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top