Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2019 10:23:40 AM EDT
Been doing some reading and can't really narrow down what I want.  My work hours have gotten to inconsistent to make it to the gym so I need to finish out my basement gym for weightlifting.  I've decided on a bench and bar, REP ab3100 adjustable bench and Rogue SS Ohio bar.

I've mainly been going back and forth between REP, Titan, Ethos, and Valor but am willing to take more suggestions.  I've had to eliminate Rogue because they are too tall.  I only have 86" from top of rubber stall mats to the bottom of the joists.  I can easily 60" deep by 72" wide racks, so my only limiting factor is height and I'd like to keep it under 1k, ideally 6-800.

I'm mainly a weightlifter with my body type, 5'11" and stocky.  I was at 430 1rpm bench in Oct. but have been too busy at work so I've lost a lot of those gains.  I'd be lucky to max 405 right now.  I'm mainly repping 315/335 for either a 5x5 or a 4-6 rep by 4 program for bench.  My squats are mainly repping at 275/315 and wouldn't want to do anymore than 450/500.  And just because it's my own basement, I'll curl in my damn squat rack if I want to.

I'd definitely want to add a dip horn and landmine attachment also.  This way I can get triceps and some back work in on the rack also.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I purchased a Rep 3000 rack a few months ago. I also got the adjustable bench. Bench is very nice btw. I would avoid the rack. It has a slightly weird dimensions for its upright supports making compatibility with other manufacturers accessories a pain.

I'd take a look at this: https://www.tworepcave.com/3006/power-rack-attachments-compatibility-master-list/
And narrow down all attachments you may want first.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a full rack but I use this from Rogue with spotter arms and a monolift for my short ceiling. It's nice that I can also shift it around easily.

For a full rack, I'm pretty sure Rogue will cut down any rack you want.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Also forgot to add that I'd like to go with a full rack.  I get really light headed at the end of my squat set, no matter how well i control breathing throughout the movement.  I've seen enough videos on guys passing out and would like the peace of mind of a pipe style catch that goes through both uprights.  Also because i do heavy sets for shoulder shrugs that i feel would put a lot of stress on safety catches versus bar styles.

Also i don't mind bolting this thing to the floor for extra stability even if it's a flat foot style.

ETA: Spoke with Rogue about doing a custom shorty r4, but for the cost I'm leaning towards the R3 (which I didn't know you could get in an 84")

So critique this setup:
R3 shorty
Monolift (so I don't have to walk back in the not as deep cage of the r3)
Matador - to get tricep
Landmine- for back and 1arm presses
Ohio Stainless bar
Rep AB300 bench- so i can get decline bench done and some ab workout
Total cost: 1750 before shipping and tax

Still trying to find some used plates, at a minimum I'd like 4x45(6 is ideal), 2x35, 4x25, 4x10, 2x5 and I can weld together a custom plate tree.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If your just doing the powerlifts, I’d pick the Ohio power bar over the regular Ohio.
Much stiffer and better knurl IMO.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your just doing the powerlifts, I'd pick the Ohio power bar over the regular Ohio.
Much stiffer and better knurl IMO.
View Quote
I was leaning towards that but didn't think it was available in stainless
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also forgot to add that I'd like to go with a full rack.  I get really light headed at the end of my squat set, no matter how well i control breathing throughout the movement.  I've seen enough videos on guys passing out and would like the peace of mind of a pipe style catch that goes through both uprights.  Also because i do heavy sets for shoulder shrugs that i feel would put a lot of stress on safety catches versus bar styles.

Also i don't mind bolting this thing to the floor for extra stability even if it's a flat foot style.

ETA: Spoke with Rogue about doing a custom shorty r4, but for the cost I'm leaning towards the R3 (which I didn't know you could get in an 84")

So critique this setup:
R3 shorty
Matador - to get tricep
Ohio Stainless bar

Still trying to find some used plates, at a minimum I'd like 4x45(6 is ideal), 2x35, 4x25, 4x10, 2x5 and I can weld together a custom plate tree.
View Quote
I have R3. It's a good rack.

I also have matador. I don't like the grip angle.  Would prefer strait bars.

I would just get a raw boneyard Ohio bar or whatever they have.  I have one. It's great.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was leaning towards that but didn't think it was available in stainless
View Quote
The regular Ohio is better for deads.  And I like the way it bends around my back on squats.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 3:17:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The regular Ohio is better for deads.  And I like the way it bends around my back on squats.
View Quote
Why do you say that? I've used both when my gym actually had both for all of a week and I noticed I pulled a little heavier with the regular ohio bar due to it flexing more. I liked the knurling better on the power bar though, especially handy for low bar. I did like that the ohio bends on squats though. Genuinely curious on your input. Although, if I could only have one bar it'd be the regular ohio bar, it's what I ordered first for the soon to be garage gym. Ordered a vulcan absolute power bar too just so that if the wifey wants to lift at the same time I'll have an extra bar for me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a similar setup (except RML-490) and I’m very happy with the quality.  I got the Ohio Power Bar since I don’t need the whip of a regular bar.  I also bought a cheap Titan bar for rack pulls so I don’t damage the Rogue.  My plates are from Craigslist.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why do you say that? I've used both when my gym actually had both for all of a week and I noticed I pulled a little heavier with the regular ohio bar due to it flexing more. I liked the knurling better on the power bar though, especially handy for low bar. I did like that the ohio bends on squats though. Genuinely curious on your input. Although, if I could only have one bar it'd be the regular ohio bar, it's what I ordered first for the soon to be garage gym. Ordered a vulcan absolute power bar too just so that if the wifey wants to lift at the same time I'll have an extra bar for me.
View Quote
You literally answered your own question.

But I have Ohio dead lift bar for deads. It is best for that. The knerl and flex are extreme. It leaves your grip destroyer after heavy deads.

But Ohio bar Is best all around.  The knerl is a little light but enough. The power bar just doesn't have enough flex for deads.

I have no problem with Ohio bar for low bar as that's what I do.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You literally answered your own question.

But I have Ohio dead lift bar for deads. It is best for that. The knerl and flex are extreme. It leaves your grip destroyer after heavy deads.

But Ohio bar Is best all around.  The knerl is a little light but enough. The power bar just doesn't have enough flex for deads.

I have no problem with Ohio bar for low bar as that's what I do.  
View Quote
Kinda figured, I lurk here a lot and enough to figure mighta known something I didn't. I've lifted in enough ghetto ass gyms that I'm happy if there's something on the bar to grip and that the sleeves aren't seized up. Already told the wife she's sleeping the guest room and I'm cuddling up in the bed with the new bars with one on each side hugh heffner style.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I just picked up a Titan power bar for squatting. I was having trouble keeping the Ohio bar in place during low bar without the center knurling. But I also have a fucked up shoulder so that may be part of it. I like deadlifting with the Ohio, and using it on front/highbar squat.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#13]
not to hijack shit, but since there seems to be a bunch of peeps in here with all these bars, does anybody have an axle bar of any kind and would you recommend it? I've given up on looking pretty and my goals have shifted into turning into a lump of traps and forearms so I was considering one but I've never used one and don't know anybody that has one. Saw an axle curl bar on black widow training gear and I want it for zerchers and shit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
not to hijack shit, but since there seems to be a bunch of peeps in here with all these bars, does anybody have an axle bar of any kind and would you recommend it? I've given up on looking pretty and my goals have shifted into turning into a lump of traps and forearms so I was considering one but I've never used one and don't know anybody that has one. Saw an axle curl bar on black widow training gear and I want it for zerchers and shit.
View Quote
I just picked up a Titan axle bar. It's cheap and ugly, bit it's a axle bar. Lol it works fine for me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I just picked up a Titan axle bar. It's cheap and ugly, bit it's a axle bar. Lol it works fine for me.
View Quote
Ya, wouldn't mind picking up a cheaper bar,  they're all pretty much just steel tubing, kind of hard to fuck that up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I have large forearms as is but use the fat grips on dumbells on occasion.

Never tried them on a barbell though for worry they'll slip.

They definitely move focus of the movement to a different part of the arm and gives a good burn on higher rep work.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
You need to bolt it to the floor. My T3 rocks pretty good when racking a 275+ squat, I bolted it down for peace of mind. I also rack on the outside of the cage since I walk it out, so that makes it rock a little more.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
You need to bolt it to the floor. My T3 rocks pretty good when racking a 275+ squat, I bolted it down for peace of mind. I also rack on the outside of the cage since I walk it out, so that makes it rock a little more.
View Quote
I am happy I built a platform.  Everything is bolted to the platform.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/249363/8475E595-1BB4-467F-A307-5D4AE94F231B_jpeg-916021.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/249363/8475E595-1BB4-467F-A307-5D4AE94F231B_jpeg-916021.JPG
I do construction so i have everything i need to do so.  Plus i don't have any plans to move it.

I changed it up a bit, going to go with the bolt together r3b in 30 inch depth with custom height.  I was worried about the 24 inch depth of the standard r3.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 4:43:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I do construction so i have everything i need to do so.  Plus i don't have any plans to move it.

I changed it up a bit, going to go with the bolt together r3b in 30 inch depth with custom height.  I was worried about the 24 inch depth of the standard r3.
View Quote
I was going to go with a flat foot because I didn't want to fuck with drilling into post tension slab in my garage. Ended up building a platform, wasn't bad at all. Hardest part was the learning experience of not trusting the hardwood ply measurements at my hardware store, it was off about an inch in length and width. Went with the rogue rml-390bt in 30" as well, everything gets here wednesday so I'll report back. I think the r3 was a good choice. I dumped months of research into it and I saw that there are tons of competitive options at lower price points but I think going the r3 route guarantees a lot of accessories that for sure work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was going to go with a flat foot because I didn't want to fuck with drilling into post tension slab in my garage. Ended up building a platform, wasn't bad at all. Hardest part was the learning experience of not trusting the hardwood ply measurements at my hardware store, it was off about an inch in length and width. Went with the rogue rml-390bt in 30" as well, everything gets here wednesday so I'll report back. I think the r3 was a good choice. I dumped months of research into it and I saw that there are tons of competitive options at lower price points but I think going the r3 route guarantees a lot of accessories that for sure work.
View Quote
They do take the guesswork out of finding which accessories will work. Plus the infinity/monster light stuff is cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So critique this setup:
R3 shorty
Matador - to get tricep
Ohio Stainless bar

View Quote
First thing I do after heavy squats or deads is take a deep breath. That really helps push the dark away.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 1:56:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not a full rack but I use this from Rogue with spotter arms and a monolift for my short ceiling. It's nice that I can also shift it around easily.

For a full rack, I'm pretty sure Rogue will cut down any rack you want.
View Quote
Rogue will definitely cut their stuff down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top