Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2018 7:27:57 PM EDT
Can anyone advise as to the best way for me to sell a rifle, legally and safely?  I took the gun to a gun and pawn shop and they offered $300 for what was $1100 new with scope for a rifle that has sat in the safe since new 10 years ago.  I don’t want to turn this question into an offer for sale, so enough about the gun, I really need help on where I need to list it and what procedures I need to follow. Used to be, could sell in Florida pretty easily but believe laws changed and I may need to go through a ffl and background check, etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it an AR or some other rifle?
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#2]
See what, if any, paperwork requirements there are for a private transfer.

List on the Equipment Exchange here, as well as armslist.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#3]
sell it on a fishing forum
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have sold on Armslist with good success. Unless you have a good idea of what it is worth you might want to post up the details for our input. What you paid is totally irrelevant.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Gun Broker is my favorite. Search for previous sales of your rifles brand for price. Decide if you want a reserve or not.  Sell it, get money and FFL from buyer, ship in hard plastic case inside cardboard box, USPS Priority Mail to FFL address. Never had problem in 8 sales of long guns.  Don't forget to charge enough for shipping :-)
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Buddy of mine has been using a local auction house with stupid success. I plan on dumping a few items there just to see how much I can get.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have sold on Armslist with good success. Unless you have a good idea of what it is worth you might want to post up the details for our input. What you paid is totally irrelevant.
View Quote
Remington 700 sps stainless with synthetic stock, adj trigger, mag release 24” inch barrel, with a zeiss conquest 3-9x40 scope mounted, 30-06  Condition is 9.5 of 10 and total rounds including sighting in totals less than one box.  Took rifle hunting a few times otherwise sat in safe.

Gun was appx 600-700 new and scope was around 500 plus the sling, mounts , tax etc from bass pro. It was over $1200.  Not totally irrelevant bc this combo New is still over 1200$ for a 10/10 and this one is a 9.5/10.  My guess is, worth $650-700 but not sure
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably pretty close the big variable is the used scope.  Sometimes you’re able to get damn near new money out of them and other times they have almost no value. Might be worth breaking up the combo and selling them separately the scope obviously can be mailed directly to a buyer without any problems
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
sell it on a fishing forum
View Quote
Bunch of them in Florida. I haven’t been on them in a while, but they use to have buy/ sell sections.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#10]
There are several niche gun shops in Georgia where it would sell as deer season gets closer. They sell on consignment. I’ve bought several rifles like that. Leave the scope on it, it will sell faster.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Armslist is really the king of online gun sales, but their site is going downhill. Hopefully there will be a better one soon. Gunbroker seems to have absurdly high prices so i’ve never actually used it, plus I don’t like paying shipping and FFL transfer fees, I prefer local meet ups.

As other said, if your scope is nice DO NOT sell it with the gun. Sell the scope in EE.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#12]
FTF transactions are still easy in FL, they dont require FFL’s or background checks so long as they are done with a Florida resident and the other criteria such as legal age, not known felon, etc.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FTF transactions are still easy in FL, they dont require FFL’s or background checks so long as they are done with a Florida resident and the other criteria such as legal age, not known felon, etc.
View Quote
I was wondering about this. Knew it used to be this way but wasn’t sure if it changed. I found a Florida based site so will look into that as it would likely avoid shipping hassles.

Will think about scope. I might pull it and keep it. I have a few of them and really like the glass.  I have another identical scope nib and never mounted, I could sell it and use the one from the 30-06 for something else since a non will sell for slightly more than a almost new scope
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm going to Destin for a week. I would bring goodies to trade if you're close to there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:53:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was wondering about this. Knew it used to be this way but wasn’t sure if it changed. I found a Florida based site so will look into that as it would likely avoid shipping hassles.

Will think about scope. I might pull it and keep it. I have a few of them and really like the glass.  I have another identical scope nib and never mounted, I could sell it and use the one from the 30-06 for something else since a non will sell for slightly more than a almost new scope
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would consider separating and put another lower priced scope on it.  Hunting season is coming up and 30-06 ought to sell.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Check out gunbroker.  You're probably in the ball park on the value.  the only think that might scare me off is you being a new seller.  Check your local laws.  If you can I would try local sell.  Pawn shops are a ripoff.

You might want to see if a few gun stores will do a consignment sell.  I know a lot around here will sell for individuals at a 10/20% commission.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Also check out the FL specific forums:

http://www.flaguns.com/

http://floridashootersnetwork.com/
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I thx for the help.  Appreciate the feedback

Interesting place for the post to be moved to, “general legal”. I’m sure that is a popular spot...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top