Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2021 1:16:42 PM EDT

Wife wants cedar board & batten shutters but all the ones I see are bleached white within a year.

Does anyone know what the best sealer is to block out the UV rays and keep the wood looking nice and new.

I've been told the marine grade wood sealer is the best but I have no idea which to get.

If someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Penofin Oil
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Pernitrate yes, seal cedar no!
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Penofin Oil
View Quote

This right here, it's all we put on cedar anymore and we have used a lot of different products.

It will still need maintenance every few years to keep it looking fresh.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Much Thanks sir
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Better than CWF-UV?

Will be needing to re-coat the log house soon (white cedar).
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Better than CWF-UV?

Will be needing to re-coat the log house soon (white cedar).
View Quote

Certainly, it is better than Thompson's.

CWF-UV is unknown to me, so I cannot say whether it is better or worse.  

Penofin 550 VOC Blue Label Original Formula contains (from SDS):
68333-62-0 Fatty acids, tall-oil, polymers with ethylene glycol = 11.3%
8001-20-5 Tung Oil = 3.27%
Trade Secret material = 12.9%

So, almost 28% material that is not just a solvent.

I have Penofin on my fence, gate and exterior porch planks.  These are ~30 years old and still going strong.  Yes, it needs to be refreshed every few years but it is easy to do.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Diesel fuel mixed with transmission fluid.  Brings out the reddish color, seals it and keeps insects from boring into it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Diesel fuel mixed with transmission fluid.  Brings out the reddish color, seals it and keeps insects from boring into it.
View Quote

I would say this, however, don’t say this out loud lol. If you want a lighter color use bar and chain oil.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:34:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Our mountain cabin sits at about 8000' altitude and gets some pretty harsh sun. It's a true, log cabin and the exterior needs to be maintained.

Up here, everyone uses Sashco Transformations.  Expensive, but has a very high solids content and protects logs exposed to the sun very well.

Because it's a penetrating finish, every 2-3 years, just clean wood well and out another coat right over the top of old one.

It would be ideal for shutters as it is elastic and designed for surfaces that will not be walked on line a deck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve been using Olympic Elite on my wood decks (not cedar) and it works well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top