Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2020 12:04:09 AM EDT
What is the best movie, TV episode, series, etc. based on one of his works?

Which one is the most faithful adaptation?

Which one had the biggest budget relative to when it was made?

Are works “based on” his concept but not very faithful better?

Are works completely faithful to the novel, story, etc, better?

Just interested  in your opinions.

I have my thoughts but don’t want to lead anyone.

He was an interesting character.

You know how sometimes you are on a road trip or driving to work, and all of a sudden you have reached your destination and have no recollection what so ever of the drive?

You literally could have been living in some alternate universe doing something else with no memory of it.
Your quantum brain was simultaneously both driving and not driving and doing something else somewhere else until you checked.
Maybe he’s just the rare guy with some memories of it, like wisps of recall people have of a dream.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#1]
See movie adaptations here.

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/philip-k-dick/
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 2:06:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Total Recall was influenced by his work, however it is a collection of Dickian elements rather than a story translation.  I enjoyed it.

Paycheck is an adaptation of Paycheck, and Screamers is based on The Second Variety.

I've found some  of his works needed a good deal of tweaking to be made into films or TV.  In some of his lesser known short stories he appears to lose attention or focus, and story components that appear and are never revisited are common.  These unresolved items find themselves as main plot lines in later stories.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of PKD works are short stories.  Makes them accessible to Hollywood types but they never do them justice.  

I read somewhere that a lot of his ideas were helped along with some wicked LSD.

That being said:

My rankings of best adaptations

1 Man in the High Castle
2 Adjustment Bureau
3 Blade Runner
4 Total Recall (1990)

I think these kept the overall feel correct.

I believe he wrote a short story that could have been the original prototype for terminator. It was set in a war of indeterminate time where the machines kept rolling out improved infiltration models.  Culminating in the protagonist wondering if he was the latest model.  I need to reread them...

Way better than most of the drivel on Amazon these days.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Minority Report is another.  Psychics known as Pre-cogs are you used as part of a pre-crime unit to arrest people before they commit crimes.  PKD liked playing with the concept of looking ahead in time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top