Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2023 9:04:28 AM EDT
Thoughts on an online ground school?

I remember reading a comment one time, somewhere, that King Schools was the most visual, and I'm certainly a visual learner.

Is it the most visual?

King Schools also seemed to be rated the best online.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thoughts on an online ground school?

I remember reading a comment one time, somewhere, that King Schools was the most visual, and I'm certainly a visual learner.

Is it the most visual?

King Schools also seemed to be rated the best online.

View Quote

They did the trick for me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I think this is one of those scenarios where everyone recommends whatever ground school program they used.

I used Sporty's, and found it fine.  The online interface is decent and the practice tests were helpful for the Private written exam prep.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:36:04 AM EDT
[#3]
What rating, what exam?

Assuming private pilot, I’d stick to the big names like sporty’s, ASA, kings.

Buy a copy of pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge. Read each chapter thoroughly, then do that associated ground school lesson, so that the ground school lesson can explain anything you may not fully understand.

ASA has an iPad app that will prepare you for the written exam, it’s designed to look like the actual exam and focuses on rote memorization(like Sheppard air, but sheppard air doesn’t make one for private). Going in for a private pilot check ride, they may ask questions in the oral exam on topics you got wrong on the written.

Memorize the private pilot oral exam guide. I think they use Cessna 150 or 172 for the example airplane in it, so obviously look up the same info for what you’re flying.

Read the pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge. Also read the airplane flying handbook. Ask your cfi what you will be doing/practicing on the next lesson, then read that chapter of the airplane flying handbook. It will save you time and money to understand the maneuvers you will be doing before getting the tach running.

Familiarize yourself the far/aim and be able to look stuff up in it.

Read and familiarize yourself with the private pilot ACS, so you know what to expect on the check ride and to what standard you will need to perform to.

Personally I struggled the most with weather, mostly because it isn’t as interesting to me. Jeppesen has an excellent video series on aviation weather. It’s expensive but if you dig deep enough on YouTube you may find some mislabeled videos that are actually jeppesen to avoid being pulled down.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#4]
King worked fine for me, but it might not be for everyone.
Sporty's has some very nice programs, as do others.
Some people prefer just reading a book, while others find the online content more to their liking.
If I had to do it again, I would look into Sporty's as my first choice, as I've heard a lot of good things about them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I used Gliem supplemented by in person classes at the flight school I am going to. Passed the Private Pilot written test with a decent score, and feel like I really understand some of the more complex topics like maps, cross country planning, E6B usage, ect much better because of the in person work with them, while a lot of the other concepts I felt the Gliem materials was just as good as in person training.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I used King for IFR through CFI-I and Sheppard to prepare for the written.  It all worked for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top