Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2021 9:54:50 AM EDT
I know this is probably going to be a crazy topic since everyone has their own voodoo when it comes to something like cutting oil. I put the word "best" because I don't really want 20 suggestions for crisco and margarine.

I've been using tap magic for the last 25 years and with good results for most operations. The tap magic pro makes a gooey mess on the vice and table so it would be nice to try some other stuff. Immediate clean up is a must.

I have a couple cans of the thick and foamy spray Tap Magic that I really haven't used because of how sticky it is. I'm going to try some of that for higher pressure tapping operations to see if it makes a difference.

I have a bottle of CRC Tru Tap on the way to try out. It was only $13 shipped.

What commercial cutting oils do you all use and why?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Tap Magic Aluminum on aluminum
CRC cutting fluid on ferrous ( I have a gallon).
Pro Tool Lube on stainless

so much for not having multiples.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tap Magic Aluminum on aluminum
CRC cutting fluid on ferrous ( I have a gallon).
Pro Tool Lube on stainless

so much for not having multiples.
View Quote

I don't mind multiples.  Lol.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a coolant set up?

The cutting fluid\coolant works great...

If not, any of the stinky cheap sulfur dark oil for ferrous brushed on...
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#4]
In a pinch?  Dishwashing liquid and water?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In a pinch?  Dishwashing liquid and water?
View Quote

I'm not in a pinch. I want to invest in cutting oil for my shop. Making sure I cover my bases.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Moly-D works well on everything, if it is just  aluminum I would use tap magic
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Gibbs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#8]
For clean-up of TapMagic, spray down with WD-40 or Spray-on LU-711, and wipe off before it sits too long.  I do that with the taps and drills also before putting away.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#9]
BoeLube works well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Moly-D works well on everything, if it is just  aluminum I would use tap magic
View Quote

MolyDee seems to be popular. I was hoping to find something a bit easier to clean up. I've see a few folks say Mike O Cut works as well. I don't know though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#11]
My Dad always just used old motor oil with old transmission fluid (most likely burnt ) in it.

Yeah it was redneck engineering but I don't remember him breaking very many drills or taps though.

My first engineering job was in a pattern and mold machine shop it was a very strange mix of master pattern sculptors who could work magic with mahogany, chisels and glue all the way to new at the time Haas 5 axis CNC machines. I can't really help much with the fluid type but I remember loving the way it smelled when it was new, I can't really explain why. It was a milky light mint green and it came in Haas 6gal buckets.

Many of the older mills smelled like Lysol because they kept getting bacterial slime in them, and smelled like a sewer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Anchor Lube
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
BoeLube works well.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Does Cutting Oil for Drilling Metal Help? Let''s find out!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Came to post this.

I use tap magic at work on all sorts of metals and it's great.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Moly
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anchor Lube
View Quote
I love filling coworkers air guns with this.  They go to blow something off and a big glob of green shit splatters all over instead.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:43:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Tap magic is my go to for everything
WD40 for aluminum
Anchor lube for drilling/taping stainless
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought some Oateys dark and clear oil to try for fun. I'm curious to see how it compares to what I'm already using. It's cheap so why not? Lol
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:24:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Tap Magic Aluminum for tapping aluminum - I still have several cans I picked up years ago at machine tool shows
WD-40 or kerosene will work for aluminum
Some use oil for aluminum but  I did not have good luck
STP Oil Treatment for steel and stainless steel
Used or new motor oil for steel
Castrol Moly Dee is good for steel, stainless and aluminum - it will really cling to a tap
Our go to tapping fluid is Emuge

Someone mentioned stinking coolant.

We had a couple of old horizontal (manual) mills that we didn't run too often. They had coolant sumps in the base and would get pretty rank. We had to open the doors in the shop when we fired them up. Smell settled down after an hour or so.

Speaking of horizontals. Anyone here remember straddle milling or stacking cutters on a horizontal ? With some work and a set of shims you could do some seriously cool cutting on a horizontal. I miss running our old Brown and Sharpe.

I learned from some amazingly talented machinists. 35 plus years in the business.

I ran a couple of Haas and Mori Seiki verticals and they would get pretty ripe. I kept Pinesol and Chlorox on hand. My machine either smelled like a pine forest or a swimming pool. Had a Castrol rep in the plant a few months ago and I mentioned adding Chlorox or Pinesol and he had never heard of it. Seemed to be shocked. Dont know about other shops but we have been doing it for at least 30 years.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BoeLube works well.
+1

+2
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone try Tapzit? I can get some free....
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#23]
yep +2
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#24]
The rigid dark cutting oil for power threaders works as good as anything
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We had a couple of old horizontal (manual) mills that we didn't run too often. They had coolant sumps in the base and would get pretty rank. We had to open the doors in the shop when we fired them up. Smell settled down after an hour or so.

View Quote
An aquarium air pump and some stones will help prevent that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
BoeLube works well.
View Quote

Which color BoeLube do you use? Where do you get it?

Trim Tap Heavy might be the best Boeing approved tapping oil out there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tap Magic Aluminum for tapping aluminum - I still have several cans I picked up years ago at machine tool shows
WD-40 or kerosene will work for aluminum
Some use oil for aluminum but  I did not have good luck
STP Oil Treatment for steel and stainless steel
Used or new motor oil for steel
Castrol Moly Dee is good for steel, stainless and aluminum - it will really cling to a tap
Our go to tapping fluid is Emuge

Speaking of horizontals. Anyone here remember straddle milling or stacking cutters on a horizontal ? With some work and a set of shims you could do some seriously cool cutting on a horizontal. I miss running our old Brown and Sharpe.

I learned from some amazingly talented machinists. 35 plus years in the business.

I ran a couple of Haas and Mori Seiki verticals and they would get pretty ripe. I kept Pinesol and Chlorox on hand. My machine either smelled like a pine forest or a swimming pool. Had a Castrol rep in the plant a few months ago and I mentioned adding Chlorox or Pinesol and he had never heard of it. Seemed to be shocked. Dont know about other shops but we have been doing it for at least 30 years.

View Quote
I remember using the old horizontal mills. Though I didn't run into too many after finishing machinist school in the Army. We use to use them for cutting new gears.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I tried Oateys dark cutting oil today for the first time. I was drilling a chunk of steel bracket for shelving. It's open on one side so it's a pain to get it really braced up right. Flex does not help with big drills.

The 31/32" drill had to be sharpened more than once through the project, which was to turn the piece of scrap into an R8 tool rack.

I thought the oil did pretty well. A bit smokey. The ventilation fan I installed, the biggest bathroom fan I could find, did a pretty good job of recycling the air. I should have thought to crack the door a bit. Lol. I liked that the oil kept flowing down the bit into the cut. I apply with an acid brush out of a spill proof paint cup. Worked very well.

I bought some Moly Dee but I have done any stainless jobs to need it. I've got a bunch of oils to try out.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought some surplus mystery steel at a local bolt an Amish surplus store today. They had two bottles of rapid tap and three new bottles of Anchorlube for $1 each. I couldn't pass on that. Now I've got more cutting oils to try than projects in the pipeline.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Just fyi, dark oil is usually reserved for threading.  Really i just use tap magic for steel and wd-40 or kerosene for aluminum.  Cast I do dry.  Anchor lube is useful for something vertical because it holds there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#32]
We use cool tool at work.  At home I use black pipe threading oil, anchor lube for titanium. Have some pink wax boelube too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top