Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2021 9:47:23 PM EDT
I know, I know pay once yada; survived teh Texas freeze, and now getting ready for the next one;
I only have a few exposed Pex runs in garage (water softener) and lines in my RV trailer-

Does each different size line need that specific size clamp;I’m getting the impression 1/2 fits down to 3/8?
and 3/4 fits to just above 1/2”

School me-may never have to be used but if I needed it now there’s a LONG wait for
A plumber right now
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
All new pex 3 years ago
3/4 is for 3/4
1/2 is for 1/2
3/8 well you get it
I used the crimp rings that all use the same crimper.  It was $30ish at menards.
I doubt it's the best but i haven't used it again since and got the job done.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the Shark bite crimp style clamps.  And the shake bite tool for them.

I’ve got a box of clamps
A couple of t fittings
A couple of straight couplers
1 shut off valve

I’m not he 1/2 and 3/4” pex. It all fits in a 30 call ammo can I keep in the camper under the bed. Plus a couple lengths of pex under the couch.

I don’t have pex in my house. Camper is it for me. With that said this little kit has saved a couple of Rv trips for me and 5-6 for people camping around me.

If I can’t fix it I can plug it and deal with the limitations and fix it completely when I get to town or home.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
what you need is

https://www.pexuniverse.com/

for all things plumbing

/thread
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are trying to safeguard your house with PEX why would you want the cheapest crimper? Why wouldn't you want a quality tool to do the best job you can do the time you're installing PEX?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Been my experience that cheap tools cost you money.  

I’ve bought quality tools at pawn shops for pennies on the dollar.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
A lot of people don't understand tools.
The tool doesn't actually guarantee a good job.
Lots of people own tons of expensive tools.
That doesn't make them a professional anything, other than at spending money.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:48:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of people don't understand tools.
The tool doesn't actually guarantee a good job.
Lots of people own tons of expensive tools.
That doesn't make them a professional anything, other than at spending money.
View Quote

I've been saying the same for years. It's the person behind the tool that makes everything come together. That being said, you definitely can get a darn go pair of crimpers through Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:42:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Fist thing you need to do is determine which type of pex you have. PEX A is used in most new construction is also known as propex or uponor and it doesn’t use crimp rings. There is an expensive expansion tool that spreads the pipe and you slide the fittings in and the pipe squeezes down on them. It is a much better system. Pex b is the common pex that uses crimp rings.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:00:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fist thing you need to do is determine which type of pex you have. PEX A is used in most new construction is also known as propex or uponor and it doesn't use crimp rings. There is an expensive expansion tool that spreads the pipe and you slide the fittings in and the pipe squeezes down on them. It is a much better system. Pex b is the common pex that uses crimp rings.
View Quote

Came here to say this.

Uponor ProPex and fittings.
Dewalt cordless Pex expander with Milwaukee Uponor Propex heads.
Or the Milwaukee cordless Pex expander if you already have Milwaukee cordless tools.
Whichever,  but Milwaukee is the only brand that I know of that makes the Uponor expansion heads, and it's compatible with the Dewalt tool

I think the heads are about $50 each. Not too bad and makes easy work especially if you're running only one diameter of Pex.

Or stock up on some sharkbite fittings that you'll need and size of Pex youll need that you currently have for quick work.
Some people give Sharkbite a bad wrap but they're pretty strong.
Cut, snap in, and replace.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought my crimper on eBay for $20.

It works great, sturdily built.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fist thing you need to do is determine which type of pex you have. PEX A is used in most new construction is also known as propex or uponor and it doesn't use crimp rings. There is an expensive expansion tool that spreads the pipe and you slide the fittings in and the pipe squeezes down on them. It is a much better system. Pex b is the common pex that uses crimp rings.
View Quote
My primary house was built just 6 years a go and it appears to have crimp rings.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I use the sharkbite rings.  I had an apollo tool.  It DEFINITELY IS NOT A TOOL TO USE OUT OF POSITION.  There is a significant amount of pressure to close the pliers.  Plus the handles need to be spread so far apart there is no such thing as tight quarters.  

When I had a fairly reasonable project for running new lines I bought a Milwaukee 18v PEX tool (Not their copper crimper--&&&&&&).  It was about $600 and came with jaws for 1/2", 3/4", and 1" pex.  It also had a charger and 2 of their 2.0 batteries.  Considering most PEX pliers are $100 +/-, 2 batteries, and charger the tool is not too bad.  It is definitely the way to go.

PEX is a great material and I would use it again in all of my projects.  There are a ton of fittings available.  Just be aware there are a couple different types of pipe.  I don't recall all of them off the top of my head.  

Mike
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My primary house was built just 6 years a go and it appears to have crimp rings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rings are the way to go with PEX.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice. I really need to buy some spare parts. I can do copper and cpvc but I have never messed with PEX.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#15]
ProPEX is best PEX.

Quick, easy, and the only connection that gets stronger with time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Get the stainless crimp rings. Only one tool needed for all sizes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nice. I really need to buy some spare parts. I can do copper and cpvc but I have never messed with PEX.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't feel bad. I've been a plumber over 40 years and a master for 35 and I've never touched the stuff. I'm not knocking it at all but we do all commercial and just don't see it on our projects. I need to familiarize myself with it as I ease into retirement so I can be of more help to my neighbors that have it
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rings are the cheapest way to go. I wouldn't say there is really anything wrong with them but ProPEX is better. I think they even offer a 25 year warranty on it and the connections.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't feel bad. I've been a plumber over 40 years and a master for 35 and I've never touched the stuff. I'm not knocking it at all but we do all commercial and just don't see it on our projects. I need to familiarize myself with it as I ease into retirement so I can be of more help to my neighbors that have it
View Quote

It will blow your mind once you start working with it. It is so fast and easy to route around bends and whatnot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think they even offer a 25 year warranty on it and the connections.
View Quote

25 years in plumbing is nothing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Cheap tools cost you money... The proper tool will pay for it self... When I first enter the trades, and older wise fellow told me this on my first day... I cant tell you how many jobs Ive been on and watched guys struggle to use a tool that saved them 50-100 bucks, meanwhile they have had to replace that same cheap tool 3-4 times and In the end spent more money... If this is only a one time use job, you can very easily buy the right tool, use it for the job and recoup most of the cost by selling it when your done, however, you might need it for add ons, or repairs... Besides, this is work being done in your own home... I for one will never cut corners while working on the most expensive thing I own...
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cheap tools cost you money... The proper tool will pay for it self... When I first enter the trades, and older wise fellow told me this on my first day... I cant tell you how many jobs Ive been on and watched guys struggle to use a tool that saved them 50-100 bucks, meanwhile they have had to replace that same cheap tool 3-4 times and In the end spent more money... If this is only a one time use job, you can very easily buy the right tool, use it for the job and recoup most of the cost by selling it when your done, however, you might need it for add ons, or repairs... Besides, this is work being done in your own home... I for one will never cut corners while working on the most expensive thing I own...
View Quote

Quoted for truth and posterity.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted for truth and posterity.
View Quote

Buy once, cry once. It's saved enough of my time to make it worth the investment the first plumbing project.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I only use Uponor Pex and a Milwaukee Pex expander tool. Not cheap, but it's the best stuff out there. Tool was like $500. It's an investment if you're a plumber. Not going to be called back on a leak.

I've seen a lot of new construction homes built with type B Pex because the tool is like $20 and material is cheaper as well. Sometimes the crimp rings can leak. But if you're on a budget, then it's ok.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top