Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2019 1:29:04 PM EDT
About to start a new gig at a university and need to upgrade the wardrobe.

Occasionally need to wear a suit but day to day will be slacks, dress shirt, no tie, blazer/sport coat depending on weather.

In the past was a fan of Brooks Brothers and Men's Warehouse, but its been a few years.

Is bespoke worth the price difference?

Any recommendations or advice appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Over the past few years made to measure has become much more available as an alternative to off the rack, and at a price point lower and delivery time shorter than bespoke.  I’ve had excellent experience with the fit, quality and customer service buying MTM suits from Oliver Wicks over the past couple of years.  CT dress shirts have also become a favorite.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Over the past few years made to measure has become much more available as an alternative to off the rack, and at a price point lower and delivery time shorter than bespoke.  I’ve had excellent experience with the fit, quality and customer service buying MTM suits from Oliver Wicks over the past couple of years.  CT dress shirts have also become a favorite.
View Quote
I don't like CT shirts but like MTM suits.  How was your experience with Oliver Wicks @11PennReserve?  They've always intrigued me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I use JOS A Banks, but only on sale items (and there is always a sale).
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
I buy their pinpoint oxford shirts on sale, socks too. some accessories as well.

My blazers, sport coats and suits are custom made, but I had a serious problem with my right arm and shoulder years and years ago, and it takes special attention and tailoring to make suit or jacket fit right.

JPK
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do they call them blazers or sports coats??? You ain't playing any sports or blazin any trails in one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread is relevant to my current interests...
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have read good things about Jos A Banks.

Brooks Brothers may also work as their once a year sale is coming up in January. Although, I've read that their quality has slipped over the years.

Im close to San Antonio and am also thinking about going to Penners. Shopped there a few years ago and had a very good experience.

Would like to establish a relationship with a clothier and bulild a wardrobe over time.

Im a little past 50, so classics rather than trendy.

THANKS for all the responses so far!!!
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
MTM is the way to go.

Cost will be primarily dictated by your choice of fabric.

Learn the difference between "bespoke" and "made to measure" as the two terms are NOT interchangable.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why do they call them blazers or sports coats??? You ain't playing any sports or blazin any trails in one.
View Quote
Oddly, they were originally worn during sports, specifically rowing.
https://rowingblazers.com/blogs/dispatches/origin-of-the-blazer-how-the-sport-of-rowing-shaped-the-jacket-worn-by-nearly-everyone-today
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
MTM is the way to go.

Learn the difference between "bespoke" and "made to measure" as the two terms are NOT interchangable.
View Quote
Did some reading on the subject and agree that MTM is the right choice for me.

I will be visiting Penners and Banks soon, will post updates.

Greatly appreciate all of the responses and information.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Y'all might laugh, but check out Goodwill, Salvation Army and other thrift stores.

My son needed a sport coat a couple of years ago.  We found a nice one for him at a Goodwill.  It was on sale for 99 cents!  The tie he picked out cost more - $2!

I've also bought a nice blue blazer from a thift store for $8!
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 1:33:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
MTM is the way to go.

View Quote
This.
I have a similar daily dress to what you describe. When I changed positions in company I had nothing really (a pair of pants and a sportcoat) after wearing scrubs to work everyday for 20 yrs, at least in terms of office attire. Brooks Brothers is still GTG for ready to wear and of course their shirts are great.
I think another consideration is how hard is it for you to find clothes that really fit. Unless you fit pretty normal dimensions for standard off the rack clothes MTM may be a better option.
Bespoke sounds great but is the $$$$ worth it for you? I know for me off the rack stuff does not fit worth a darn. Short, stocky and pretty thick chest and shoulders I'm much better off with something made to my measurements. Plus since discovering I like dressing better I like stuff like functional buttons on jacket sleeves, french cuffs and shirts that fit my neck without choking me, but are not like wearing a tent around your body.
So your body, how clothes fit you and your overall style is a good guide to which way you may want to go. Lots more options with MTM.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So your body, how clothes fit you and your overall style is a good guide to which way you may want to go. Lots more options with MTM.
View Quote
This.

Clothes that don't fit look like shit no matter how much you paid for them.

Get both with MTM, clothes that fit, and if you spend more and select the better fabrics, will make you look like a million dollars.

Also, shirts are important too. Get a few MTM shirts made with better fabric while you are at it.

You'll be glad you did. Chances are that wherever you go you will be one of the best dressed guys in the room.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Hockerty any good?

What are some other MTM places that are recommended?
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#15]
If you can, run up to Barry's manufacturing in OKC.   They were fantastic in 98 when I was in OK.
I had a 10 inch drop and some of their stuff fit off the rack without adjustment.
Now I just wish I could still wear those suits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top