Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2021 11:55:04 PM EDT
Looking for a home completion ground school course with endorsement to take the FAA Private Pilot exam...part 61?

any opinions?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I used King.  I know, corny and boring.  But effective.  Finish it off with a cram course they give at hotels over the weekend, and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#2]
King is one of the ones I have been looking at.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I used King, and while it was effective, it really wasn't much of a learning tool.
I've heard good things about Sporty's and Gleim.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used King.  I know, corny and boring.  But effective.  Finish it off with a cram course they give at hotels over the weekend, and you're good to go.
View Quote

Yes to the red part.  But effective. On the plus side you and other pilots will be able to chuckle uncomfortably about the jokes for years to come.

“If you squawk 7500, when you land you had better have another person on board. Like maybe your mother in law.”  

I used Kings for my private and took about 80 pages of type written notes which included screen shots of graphics, charts, etc. That was a very good process to help me internalize the information and later use as a study guide.

I am using Gleim for IFR and it is an outline presentation which is very efficient at conveying information.  But at this point I have already been taught to think like a pilot, so maybe this format might not be the best for a new private student?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I did a hybrid of watching Sporty's, but then reading the King Book.  But most importantly (for purposes of questions and not actually learning anything), I used the Sporty's Study Buddy App.

ETA:  My CFI actually endorsed, so my answer isn't directly responsive to your question.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I did the Gleim course.  It worked and I got my PPL, but it was a hard way for me to learn.  I'm more of a visual learner than straight reading of text, and it can be difficult for me to remember info that way.  I supplemented by watching a lot of videos on PPL topics, and that helped a lot.  I watched the Fly8MA vids, they are free and have a lot of good info.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#8]
My flight school requires us to complete the Jeppesen course. Its about as dry as it gets. I haven't taken a look at others but hopefully the King is better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I completed the Sporty’s course.  Watched all the videos and worked through a handful of their tests.  In addition to Sporty’s, I used the Dauntless app for test prep.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I did King Schools online private ground school.  I liked it so much that I paid for Kings schools courses all the way through CFI.  After private I used Sheppard air for the written tests and king schools videos to actually learn the material. Sheppard is better for memorizing correct answers, but it doesn’t really teach you anything. The Sheppard plus kings combo worked for me, my lowest score any any test through CFI was 87%.

Kings can be a little cheesy, but that’s why it works.  I still remember John hitting his head on some class E airspace and it sticks with me to this day
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I did King DVDs and Gleim book.

Boring but worked.  I have done a few Sportys course and it seems better.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Was watching videos of the oral exam...seems pretty intense. That part seems tougher than anything else.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]
does anyone know if there a time limit between when you pass tour written knowledge exam and when you finish you flight hours and do the check ride?
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
does anyone know if there a time limit between when you pass tour written knowledge exam and when you finish you flight hours and do the check ride?
View Quote

FAA writtens are good for 24 months
https://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/knowledge/
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I just read my book that I bought from the flight school.

King's videos were still new in the 1990's.  I never gave buying such things serious thought.

Just read the book.  Learn how to dead reckon with your plastic "wiz wheel" and lay out your course and checkpoints and calculate your fuel consumption.

Does VOR still exist?  I never used it for navigation, just used it to check my location a couple of times.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top