Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2018 10:35:46 PM EDT
Looking to get my wife a new camera for Christmas. Anyone have any recomendations?

She has a much older Canon DSLR with a couple older lenses, but I don't necessarily need it to be compatible with those as the lenses are VERY old.

She uses it for general photography - the majority of which is our kids or wild birds.

I nearly bought a Nikon D5600 but after looking it over at Best Buy I figured I better do more research. Not sure if I trust Canon or Nikon or more - or if I should try something like one of the new shutterless Sonys.

Let me know what you guy think.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Canon or Nikon, you can not go wrong with either brand.  You can get accessories and lenses for them ANYWHERE.

I'm a Nikon user but I respect Canon as an equal alternative.

Mirrorless doesn't offer me anything different that I want to pay for.   I'm comfortable with DSLRs and I'm likely to stick with them in the absence of any compelling reason to change that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ll read the thread and comment my thoughts and/or links later tonight.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#6]
If I where getting a camera today and not heavily invested in a company already I would go Sony mirrorless. Not sure on what they are running price wise at the moment though. A great one to look at is the a7iii. I’m currently a canon shooter and have no problem recommending them or Nikon.

Edit: looked at pricing of the a7 stuff and it’s well over the 1k mark. Also are you looking to spend 1k on body only or body plus lenses? I don’t know much about Nikon unfortunately so I can’t help much there. I can say the Canon m50 is a decent little camera.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Two big things, first off you aren’t buying into the camera body, you’re buying into the lens system.  Two, input from the missus is necessary as if the camera feels weird in the hand it won’t get used as much.

Personally, that’s why I went with Nikon.  They feel great in the hand to me and their lens mount system hasn’t really changed since the late 70’s.  So I can grab almost any lens and slap it on my camera without issue.  I’ve got stuff made back from the early 80’s that I still use on occasion.

IMO, I’d snag a Nikon D7200 which despite being ~4 years old and is still one of the top APS-C cameras out there.  Seriously, the sensor on it is phenomenal for what it is.  The only reason I sold mine was to trade up because I outgrew it.  All the auto modes like a lower end camera, but the ability to manually control it easily like a professional camera.  B&H has a holiday bundle for just under $1000 and comes with everything so you’re ready to shoot out of the box after charging the battery.

18-55mm and 55-300mm kit lenses come with it too.  They aren’t the most fantastic, but for 99% of folks, they’ll do just fine.  Should the missus want to grow out of it, it’s super easy to get better ones.

$997 with free next day shipping
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Mirrorless isn’t quite ready for the big time IMO.  Yeah, they do a lot of neat things and sometimes have mind blowing capabilities, but battery life, AF quirks, function and sealing in harsh weather, etc are detractors.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re good cameras.  I just don’t think they’re done cooking yet.  The tech is making massive leaps though, so I might change my opinion in a few years.  Until then, the trade offs aren’t worth it for me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Short version is they just aren’t reliable up here in the cold compared to a DSLR. Battery life is significantly worse, displays get sluggish or stop working, weathersealing isn’t as good, and AF gets spotty in subzero temps.

Like I said, the current trade offs aren’t worth it to me. If I lived elsewhere, I’d certainly give them a try. They just don’t handsome arctic conditions well is all.  Other than one guy, pretty much every professional shooter I know up here has gone back to Canon or Nikon for those reasons.  They rent them to customers and use them for short videos, but the main hard use rigs are DSLRs.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I came from shooting on canon with a bunch of lenses to using a Fuji Xt2 with 3 lenses accomplishing more with the smaller system.
I'm more prone to take it with me and carry it. Its fully intuitive, and the image quality is superior In my opinion with my 3 lenses compared to a bunch of Canon and after market lenses.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the input guys! I have considered it all, and read as much as I can online about the various options.

I do not want to ask her or bring her out to look at them as this is very much meant to be a surprise.

Right now I am leaning towards a Canon 80D based on it's apparent sturdiness and decent performance. It will end up more than what I had budgeted originally but it sounds like spending a bit more money may be worth it.

Keep the input coming though - I have by no means made up my mind.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#14]
If your leaning towards canon and can find a deal look into the 7dmk2. I know you can get them around the $1300 mark. It’s a really solid camera just like the 80d. Also if her old lenses are ef mount she will be able to use them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do not want to ask her or bring her out to look at them as this is very much meant to be a surprise.
Thanks!
View Quote
Cameras are like clothes, to get the right fit you have to get her to try it.  I THINK B&H and Aldorama have a 30 day exchange policy that you may want to look into.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a killer deal on the Fuji X-T1 body and lens package from b&h back in January.

It’s image quality is still great, even though it’s an older model, and it’s pretty light weight, and seems like the old Nikon SLR’s I had that I could survive a drop off of a half-pipe. Fuji’s sensor is incredible, and it will allow you to take as much or as little control without dicking around with on-screen menus or LCD wheels. It’s a ton of camera for the price.

I’ve turned into a Fuji fanboi in 2018
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 1:25:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Canon 80D is a fantastic choice. I picked up one lightly used for a great price so my wife could take photos for her blog.  I actually really like the camera and the photos that come out of are amazing with good glass and good lighting of course.  The body is not as sturdy as my Canon 1D but if you are just shooting indoors or studio what does it matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top