Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 12/6/2020 10:02:32 AM EDT
Being a fan of the history of the Cold War, I find espionage pretty fascinating.

I'm looking for something that's pretty comprehensive from a tactics, trade-craft perspective and I don't really trust googles results.

You guys have any you consider your number ones or must haves?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything by Viktor Suvorov
Steve Colls' Ghost Wars
Legacy of Ashes
Le Carre's Karla Trilogy
The Men Who Stare At Goats (lol)
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent, seems Suvorov and Ghost Wars are a good place to start!
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want a hefty (918 page) book that includes a lot of the history and methodology of WWII codebreaking, but also has subplots that venture into fictional intrigue, I suggest Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson.

"Cryptonomicon is vintage Stephenson from start to finish: short on plot, but long on detail so precise it's exhausting. Every page has a math problem, a quotable in-joke, an amazing idea, or a bit of sharp prose. Cryptonomicon is also packed with truly weird characters, funky tech, and crypto--all the crypto you'll ever need, in fact, not to mention all the computer jargon of the moment. A word to the wise: if you read this book in one sitting, you may die of information overload (and starvation.)"
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#4]
An older one but awesome: "Spycatcher"  by Peter Wright, MI5 officer
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#5]
This thread interests me
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An older one but awesome: "Spycatcher"  by Peter Wright, MI5 officer
View Quote
That's a good one. There are several biographies of Aldrich Ames and Robert Hanssen, most have at least some of the tradecraft they used.

If you want an exhaustive, but very dry history of American counterintelligence from the Culper spy ring through the 20th century, search for the CI Readers. I believe there are 4 volumes, PDFs which are free to download. They are hosted on a few different websites.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#7]
https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/document/0005383505

This link is a list of reading material that will help you get more material.

Here are the CI readers mentioned above:

https://www.dni.gov/index.php/ncsc/ci-references
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Surprise, kill, vanish by Annie Jacobson
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#9]
These are some good references guys. Got me going down a rabbit hole over here!
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#10]
My dad has read hundreds of spy books. And he absolutely loves Moscow Rules.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My dad has read hundreds of spy books. And he absolutely loves Moscow Rules.
View Quote

Added to my list also!

https://www.amazon.com/Moscow-Rules-Secret-Tactics-America/dp/1541762193

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you read Life Undercover, by Amaryllis Fox? I wouldn't call it a comprehensive guide to spycraft, but she she goes into a bit of detail on how she maintained nonofficial cover for several years abroad.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd recommend the Mike Locken trilogy by Robert Rostand. The Killer Elite, Viper's Game, and A Killing in Rome. Great cold war 70s spy novels. I found them on Amazon Kindle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#14]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Old school:

SOE Manual: How to be an Agent in Occupied Europe

There was an entertaining TV series which puts modern civilians through SOE training:
Churchill's Secret Agents: The New Recruits
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top