Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2021 1:34:18 AM EDT
I want to upgrade my current Kobalt/Craftsman/whatever ratchets.

I want to start with a good fixed-head 3/8 and 1/4 drive ratchet.

I want something that is American-made made and non-conglomerate owned (that rules out Proto), if such a thing exists. I don't want to buy anything used. I don't really care what it costs.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:36:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Sk tools are nice american made ones. But only if you like the old roubd roto heads.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:44:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sk tools are nice american made ones. But only if you like the old roubd roto heads.
View Quote

I really kind of prefer the "teardrop." What gives the bets arc-swing between the two? Or does the shape of the head actually make a difference?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.wrighttool.com/

Wright, S-K, Blackhawk, Snapon, Armstrong and Williams I think Armstrong and Blackhawk closed but Ebay has some good deals on them. Forget what the deal is with Blackhawk maybe a Proto brand.

In anycase check the COO of any brand before you by they like to mix there imports in with the USA stuff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate to sound snobby, but SnapOn is the best - at least their older ratchet and socket sets were quality from top to bottom.  I have a ton of Wright and like it, same with Armstrong, Proto & SK,, but my older set SnapOn are my gotos.
The problem with SnapOn for a wrencher is they've become collectors and people buy them simply for 'investment' so the price is much higher than the others,, but you didn't ask about price, you asked what is the best American made ratchets.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Snap on
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Snap on
View Quote

People can compare and complain all they want. If you simply want the best wrenches, ratchets and sockets, the answer is snap on.

If you actually want to consider price and quality, lots of other USA made stuff will suffice for a lifetime; but it ain't the best.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Snap-On is over rated. Sure they are real good. I probably have more than 10,000 dollars worth. But I have found that some of their ratchets “let go” in hard use. For the money USA made Craftsman are gtg. 40 year diesel mechanic here.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I really kind of prefer the "teardrop." What gives the bets arc-swing between the two? Or does the shape of the head actually make a difference?
View Quote
Shape makes no difference really.  Teardrops can sometimes fit in some spots that round heads can't, but that's splitting hairs in the differences TBH.  If you're working on stuff with that tight of clearances you already know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
SnapOn is the best USA made ratchet.  Mac, Cornwell, Matco are shit.  Unless you have a truck stopping by weekly to warranty, do not buy.

The ICON branded from Harbor freight are excellent but made in Taiwan.

GearWrench is Chinese but very good for home use.

Craftsman has been garbage for 30 years.

Pawn shops are a great place to buy SnapOn as many tech school kids get a discount and never enter the trade.

Full disclosure...I've been a mechanic for 30 years and am a ratchet snob.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Snap-on is the best

The price to pay is high, and there are good alternatives, but they make the best ratchet
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the Snap....Expensive little buggers.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
SnapOn is the best USA made ratchet.  Mac, Cornwell, Matco are shit.  Unless you have a truck stopping by weekly to warranty, do not buy.

Pawn shops are a great place to buy SnapOn as many tech school kids get a discount and never enter the trade.

View Quote

The only people who recommend Craftsman ratchets (or Craftsman tools in general) are the folks who haven't bought them in 25+ years.

Absolute trash.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The only people who recommend Craftsman ratchets (or Craftsman tools in general) are the folks who haven't bought them in 25+ years.

Absolute trash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolute trash.

Over the years Sears lowered the quality on on the manufacture of Craftsman hand tools.

It used to be great because it rarely broke.
Even when abused.

The Bean Counters finally realized Joe Homeowner was never going to stress his wrench all that hard.
Make them at lower cost and eat the occasional replacement.

Now you have expensive tools, with a replacement guarantee.
If you are a pro taking a break to replace a wrench is a big deal.
Job comes to a halt.
How many guys are you paying to stand around waiting for a replacement tool?
We need them NOT to BREAK under heavy use.

I have a decent set of 1950s Craftsman hand tools.
They are bulletproof.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Snap-On is over rated. Sure they are real good. I probably have more than 10,000 dollars worth. But I have found that some of their ratchets "let go" in hard use. For the money USA made Craftsman are gtg. 40 year diesel mechanic here.
View Quote
Get them rebuilt.  My 15 year old 1/4" long handle does that, usually when I should be using a 3/8".  My newer XL 1/4" does not.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:01:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Snap-on for life here.....but with power tools being what they are I'd buy a Milwaukee impact or ratchet.  I use hand ratchets as a last resort.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Snap-on for life here.....but with power tools being what they are I'd buy a Milwaukee impact or ratchet.  I use hand ratchets as a last resort.
View Quote

He said American made, not chinese communist party made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top