Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2019 8:22:51 PM EDT
What are some basic rights that a beneficiary of a parents trust have.
Is a beneficiary allowed in writing copies of wills and or trust paperwork?
When is a trustee required to provide a beneficiary an accounting of the trust?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the state law.

In Virginia prior to death or incapacity of the parent you would have no right to see either a will or a revocable trust. You would have a right to see an irrevocable trust if you were a beneficiary.

As for an accounting, it depends on state law.  In Virginia it is annually unless the trust says otherwise.

ETA:  Virginia and 30 other states and D.C. have enacted the Uniform Trust Code.  Nevada has not.  So if you are asking about a trust in Nevada you would need to research the law there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Not an attorney but going through some Trust stuff now..as beneficiary, Executor of estate, sole heir.
More info.. are both still alive ?
What is the issue ? General.
Depending on the issue ? The answer could involve both State and Federal (IRS) if financial in nature.
Attorney that practices Family Law is most likely the answer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Dad died 2 years ago mom died 10 years ago essentially making their trust irrevocable.
The trustee my sister has stated that we the beneficiaries won't get any paperwork. That if we have questions we need to ask her.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
OP needs to consult with a lawyer in his state.
I'd guess that a beneficiary "should" be entitled to see the trust documents in this situation, so as to be able to ascertain whether or not the trustee is doing her job appropriately, but that's only a guess.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dad died 2 years ago mom died 10 years ago essentially making their trust irrevocable.
The trustee my sister has stated that we the beneficiaries won't get any paperwork. That if we have questions we need to ask her.
View Quote
That is a familiar fact pattern for many of my cases.  You need to see a lawyer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
That doesn't sound right.  My mom was a trustee for a trust that benefitted her two brothers after their parents died (long story) and each year they got an annual accounting of how the assets were invested, expenses, disbursements, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top