Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2023 3:56:41 PM EDT
HSI would not slave to compass yesterday and just kept turning only stopping on the wrong heading.   Turned plane off and on few times - no luck.  

Plane: 2002 Cessna 182T with gtn750 navigator, steam gauges, KAP-140 autopilot.

I am not against a good upgrade option.  Also worry about losing the plane to mechanical downtime for months in an avionics shop.

Question:
1.) Rebuilt HSI - I don't hate the mechanical unit and I am used to flying with it.     Ideas on cost to have rebuilt unit put in????
2.) Upgrade to a G5 HSI?  Cost?? Advantages worth it??
3.) Wildcard: Upgrade to a G275??

I know there are a million things to consider but any knowledge appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Just looking at rough numbers and cost/benefit (just material, no labor):

Rebuild the old guy: probably $2000ish

G5 HSI with interfaces for the AP and GTN: $3000ish

GI-275 HSI with interfaces: $5000ish

Personally I'd go with the G5, and then when the AI packs it in, add another G5 and delete the vacuum pump. The added capabilities of the GI-275 aren't so attractive when you've already got a full six pack and GTN in the panel.

Not that I want to spend my money, too , but in my helo panel there is a TC where the DG ought to be. A lot of R44's got delivered that way in the Naughties. If it ever dies that hole is getting filled with a G5 HSI.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My 1st choice would be an Aspen Evolution series and ditch the vacuum pump

I'm not a Garmin fanboi, but the G5 is a nice instrument and is what I would choose as a lesser alternative.

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
ill send you a DM for help regarding the indicator
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
With the GTN, I’d definitely go with the G5.  I just did a panel upgrade and I love the G5s with the 750xi and GFC500.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top