Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2021 12:16:18 PM EDT
Got into amateur photography with my most recent ex. I always used her camera, which was some flavor of nikon I think. Looking to get my own setup. I’m trying to stay below $700ish for the base camera and can add lenses later.  I’m just trying to find something easyish but not terrible.  I shoot mostly nature if that matters, and have no aspirations of being anything more than a hobbiest. I’m leaning towards the Nikon, but unsure.  What do you all suggest?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I will always pimp the D7200 because it is a great camera. Well within your price range, and will be more then capable as you grow with photography.

To expound-

-7200 has a screw AF motor in it, so you can use literally any Nikon glass and it will autofocus, a feature that many of the cheaper options do not have.

-stats wise, 24 MP, 9 FPS, big enough buffer to slug through that rate, and enough control buttons and dials to set it up any way that makes sense to you.

-if you came from Nikon, it will feel familiar.

-I bought a refurb on ebay during a 10% off coupon they were running and scored mine for less then $500, which is an absolute steal.

It’s not a pro level camera, but it is extremely capable. If photography becomes a more serious hobby for you, it will never be a limiting factor.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Canon, look in the EOS Rebel line for a beginner.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This, I have a EOS Rebel 7 and love it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I will always pimp the D7200 because it is a great camera. Well within your price range, and will be more then capable as you grow with photography.

To expound-

-7200 has a screw AF motor in it, so you can use literally any Nikon glass and it will autofocus, a feature that many of the cheaper options do not have.

-stats wise, 24 MP, 9 FPS, big enough buffer to slug through that rate, and enough control buttons and dials to set it up any way that makes sense to you.

-if you came from Nikon, it will feel familiar.

-I bought a refurb on ebay during a 10% off coupon they were running and scored mine for less then $500, which is an absolute steal.

It’s not a pro level camera, but it is extremely capable. If photography becomes a more serious hobby for you, it will never be a limiting factor.
View Quote

Yes!! Thank you! This is extremely helpful!
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does the EOS Rebel line compare to either the M50 the Nikon?
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Dude, Google camera vs camera.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes!! Thank you! This is extremely helpful!
View Quote

If you are thinking Nikon, I would Definetly spend the difference to jump to a 7200 over a 5600 for the front wheel alone.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
legion07: You didn't mention if you have other lenses, if so, just stick with that company. Lenses are going to be your most expensive accessory. Get the camera that you are familiar with, within a company the cameras more or less operate approximately the same.

IF you are going with Nikon, try their factory refurbished equipment, most of them is new or like new, you can save bunches of money. This equipment comes to you in a plain box with none of the colorful graphics and a 90-day instead of 1-year warranty. I have bought quite a bit of refurb'd Nikon equipment and I have never needed to use their 90-day or 1-year warranty.

ETA: If you feel squeamish of refurb'd equipment, B&H & Adorama will sell you extended warranty for nominal cost. Also stick with places like B&H or Adorama because they will take back their equipment if you don't like it. I have never returned anything, but they say you could. But be aware, they may charge you a restocking fee, so choose wisely.

Canon owns ~50% of the camera market, Nikon ~20%, Sony ~15%, and the balance goes to Panasonic, Olympus, Pentax etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you everyone who chimed in. Everything I read online kept pointing me to the d7200 being a great value, and since I already have experience on a Nikon, I scored a used d7200 at a great price, and a 50mm lens to get started. Can’t wait for it to get here!
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you everyone who chimed in. Everything I read online kept pointing me to the d7200 being a great value, and since I already have experience on a Nikon, I scored a used d7200 at a great price, and a 50mm lens to get started. Can’t wait for it to get here!
View Quote

Excellent choice! That is a killer combo.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you are thinking Nikon, I would Definetly spend the difference to jump to a 7200 over a 5600 for the front wheel alone.
View Quote
Recently upgraded my 5600 to at 7xxx. 5600 is a fine camera for sure but the 7xxxx is mo better. The auto focus alone is much faster and worth the extra cash.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

go for either the T8i or the 90D. either one are fantastic cameras.
I have the T6i and the 90D. love them both.

ETA: honestly, any name modern camera will not do you wrong. Be aware, the lens is where the money disappears.  They can go from. I can afford that to OH MY GOD rapidly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
go for either the T8i or the 90D. either one are fantastic cameras.
I have the T6i and the 90D. love them both.

ETA: honestly, any name modern camera will not do you wrong. Be aware, the lens is where the money disappears.  They can go from. I can afford that to OH MY GOD rapidly.
View Quote

This. It’s obscene how much they can cost, but if you take it even semi seriously, good glass really starts to shine. The 24-120 F4 would feel very at home on your new toy
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Smart move.

I don't know what people are seeing on the internet but after giving my strong "DO NOT BUY SONY"......."ESPECIALLY A SONY BUNDLE" !!!!!!!

Then they come at me all excited..."i got an awesome Sony bundle".......

Link Posted: 8/30/2021 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Smart move.

I don't know what people are seeing on the internet but after giving my strong "DO NOT BUY SONY"......."ESPECIALLY A SONY BUNDLE" !!!!!!!

View Quote

Wait why should we not be buying Sony? I know bundles are garbage but some of those A7’s look tempting
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#16]
For those of you who are interested in the Nikon D5xxx-series, keep in mind that the viewfinder will probably be like ~1-stops dimmer than that the D3xxx, D7xxx, or D500 because the D5xxx-series uses a mirror system viewfinder instead of a glass porro-prism. But I do like the swiveling live-view screen of the D5xxx-series cameras rather than the rudimentary system on the other Nikon cameras.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Smart move.

View Quote
Personally, I have a Sony A6600 APS-C/DX crop frame. It is a decent camera, but for my purposes a silent electronic shutter is parament because I shoot lots of theater and chamber orchestra recitals at my local HS, and camera noise must be kept to zero as to not disturb the audience.

Sony A6600 and Nikon D500 bodies cost the same, but when it comes to lenses, the  factory OEM Sony lenses are more expensive than the equivalent Nikon lens. Now if you get 3rd party lenses such as Tamron, Tokina etc, they are less expensive.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I love my D5600. Good camera and is still far more capable than I am.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Personally you should stay within your budget. From your OP, I would suggest a variation of your ex's camera, whatever brand that maybe.

Since someone suggested a Nikon D7200, I would suggest a D3xxx series. I find that the D3xxx is very capable, and you don't need all of the fancy stuff on the higher end models. You could get the kit D3xxx with a standard kit lens, and use the heck out of it. With the money you saved, you could expand to other accessories or lenses etc. Canon has an equivalent of the Nikon D3xxx if you are into Canons.

Canon owns about one-third the camera market, Nikon and Sony each one-sixth, and the balance the others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top