Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL...   Just in time for my daily 10bp DCA
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And I’ll say again…with super high inflation what the hell else are you going to do with excess cashflow?
View Quote

Why does Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway have $130 billion in cash?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see typical bear length based on history. You make your most money in bear. And coming out of bear happens real fucking fast. Days.

I’ve learned from history and my mistakes.  This time is not different.  Have y’all forgotten 2021?  2010?  2017?  Early 2000s?

And I’ll say again…with super high inflation what the hell else are you going to do with excess cashflow?

Because when you are old as fuck you shift to cash vs risk!
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see typical bear length based on history. You make your most money in bear. And coming out of bear happens real fucking fast. Days.

I’ve learned from history and my mistakes.  This time is not different.  Have y’all forgotten 2021?  2010?  2017?  Early 2000s?

Wasting your time arguing with someone who is ignorant of basic finance and market history.

Asset class performance ytd
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4551423-major-asset-classes-october-2022-performance-review

Cash kicking the perma bulls asses.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe because they are professional fund managers and make their gravy by being such and you are not?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wasting your time arguing with someone who is ignorant of basic finance and market history.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4551423-major-asset-classes-october-2022-performance-review

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your fund symbol and fees are?  You could have billions thrown at you and grab 150 basis.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

They just bought a ton of TSM

Buffet and Munger keep large cash positions to make large guys when they feel it is a good buy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Their entire market thesis:

Attachment Attached File

That’s now dead. They just don’t rationalize it yet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 1:39:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

People who are out of the market to limit equity risk because of their age are exercising a prudent asset allocation strategy. It is damned appropriate.

People who are out of the market with full intentions of getting back in when they get a gut feeling the time is right and believe they can outsmart the market are gambling, and engaging in a proven losing strategy.
View Quote

At what age is it appropriate to limit equity risk and does the amount of money at risk factor in?

If I stated I have ~80% of my 401k in the market right now, would you believe me?

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Uh oh, here comes the downside. We will see tomorrow.

(still not 4200 )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3900!!

Uh oh, here comes the downside. We will see tomorrow.

(still not 4200 )

As I predicted 4200 certainly seems very likely by CY end if not higher.

@mochaTX
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Bahahaha, only down 800 points.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Well look at that. 4080. I was absolutely assured no way 4200 before end of year and more crash and pain was guaranteed.

4200 is the official end of bear, which averages 11 months. We are past half way to historical bear markets. It’s when you make your most money.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Why settle for 0.2% when you could be banging out -20%?

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I repeat. Bear is when you make your most money. Proven through all of history.

If you’re scared of loss, you’re scared of gains.  There is no emotion in investing. Only math.

Just. Keep. Buying. Market up?  Buy. Market down bigly?  Buy bigly.  The biggest daily gains happen in bear. It’s when you make your most money.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#15]
My current 1 year return is over 40%. Glad I was regularly buying in those lows that “weren’t the lows”. Glad I was stacking dividends.

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My current 1 year return is over 40%. Glad I was regularly buying in those lows that “weren’t the lows”. Glad I was stacking dividends.

View Quote

People don’t think more shares be what they be but they do.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My current 1 year return is over 40%. Glad I was regularly buying in those lows that "weren't the lows". Glad I was stacking dividends.

View Quote
^^^^
Presenting the next Warren Buffett ladies and gentlemen. Outperforming the markets by a factor of 3x is unbelievably impressive.

What's a 2022 +40% portfolio look like?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
^^^^
Presenting the next Warren Buffett ladies and gentlemen. Outperforming the markets by a factor of 3x is unbelievably impressive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My current 1 year return is over 40%. Glad I was regularly buying in those lows that "weren't the lows". Glad I was stacking dividends.

^^^^

Buying. Muh wealth in certain accounts is there. Don’t focus on returns, focus on overall wealth.

This is when you make the most money.  It’s. Just. Math.

If you focus on year returns you fail. Focus on net worth.  Or hold your cash and get beat down.  Buy low.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
^^^^

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^

Piles of stonks bought while low, high, and in between. Not warren buffet I put zero effort into it and never will. I just happened to see that rate on my taxable account. Fairly energy heavy, which helps.

401k is -5% I just looked. That goes into some “aggressive” bullshit I don’t have many options there unfortunately. Same with HSA. Roughly same 12 month as 401k
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
^^^^

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^

One that started 20-years ago
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Take the gift that is tax-loss selling. This market ain't gonna give anything back for a while.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Maybe because they are professional fund managers and make their gravy by being such and you are not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Omg, Lucky we can buy BRK then.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#27]
point of interest...

last week we touched the 200 day moving average for first time since july.   unless some major reversal happens, today we will be back under.  

we touched it in april and then dropped to 363.  then we touched in july at 420 and then plummeted to 348, as memorialized in the epic but now archived thread "OMG YOU GUYS WERE BACK TO 420!!1 MOON NEXT"

will be curious to see if we make a new low before getting back to 420
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
point of interest...

last week we touched the 200 day moving average for first time since july.   unless some major reversal happens, today we will be back under.  

we touched it in april and then dropped to 363.  then we touched in july at 420 and then plummeted to 348, as memorialized in the epic but now archived thread "OMG YOU GUYS WERE BACK TO 420!!1 MOON NEXT"

View Quote

A trend line from the January and March highs seems to have been a wall to push through.

Weekly chart:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/5/2022 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
point of interest...

View Quote

Yes. Which shows yet again this is just typical bear. We’re halfway through it.  It’s when you make your most money.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#30]
when do i make my most money?
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
when do i make my most money?
View Quote

In bear.  They are short lived.

Buy low. Sell high.

Or if you believe your analysis go short and make even more. I am a long term retail bull. Always will be. I invest. I don’t trade.

When the panic emotional sellers are there, I’m buying their shit.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Buy low. Sell high.

Or if you believe your analysis go short and make even more. I am a long term retail bull. Always will be. I invest. I don’t trade.

View Quote

Dca into garbage is still garbage.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy low. Sell high.

Explain the difference between lump sum and DCA

Where else you gonna make money?  I like money. I like money making more money.  Like my own little money farm. It prints fucking money.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#34]

fuck that doesn't bode well for hodlers
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Take the gift that is tax-loss selling. This market ain't gonna give anything back for a while.
View Quote

no
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

fuck that doesn't bode well for hodlers
View All Quotes

Basis is a thing.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Where else you gonna make money?  I like money. I like money making more money.  Like my own little money farm. It prints fucking money.
View Quote

You're a genius.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Basis is a thing.
View Quote

hedge with SJIM?
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You're a genius.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a genius.

No. I just know how to build wealth. It’s fucking easy. Just takes time and risk. Time reduces risk.

It’s amazing just how easy it is.

Case in point. New job barely 2 years ago. 401k is 100k. 2 years. In 5 years it will be over 650k, likely more.

7 years from that 1.4 million.  It’s. Just. Math.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No. I just know how to build wealth. It’s fucking easy. Just takes time and risk. Time reduces risk.

View Quote

Step aside Graham and Dodd, Spidey says buy anything and everything all the time, any time, every time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Step aside Graham and Dodd, Spidey says buy anything and everything all the time, any time, every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you can sit on cash in super high inflation environment. I’ll be over here buying. Every. Fucking. Week. Every damn time.

It’s like my own money printing machine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Bull trap. The rally is over.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:42:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Or you can sit on cash in super high inflation environment. I’ll be over here buying. Every. Fucking. Week. Every damn time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m only 20% in “Cash” now, but it’s paying over 3%. Granted, still below inflation, but not a bad place to wait.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Case in point. New job barely 2 years ago. 401k is 100k. 2 years. In 5 years it will be over 650k, likely more.

View Quote

kinda curious what Math you're using.

avg return of S&P is 10.04%
I threw that and $100k into a rate of return calculator online and in order to get to 650k in 5 years, you have to contribute $6300 per month.  
In other words, you put in $478k of your hard earned money and get $175k in gains.   Not. As. Impressive. As. It. Sounds.

but i couldn't find a set of inputs that give me 650k in 5 years and 1.4 in 7.   so curious how you're calculating.

of course, if year 1 is a 20% down year, it's not that big of a deal.  you don't make it to 650k but you also don't lose that much because most of the 478k you invest happens in the other years.    but if year 5 is your 20% down year, it's a pretty big deal.    it's almost as if timing matters.    one could even call it market timing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I threw that and $100k into a rate of return calculator online and in order to get to 650k in 5 years, you have to contribute $6300 per month.  
In other words, you put in $478k of your hard earned money and get $175k in gains.   Not. As. Impressive. As. It. Sounds.

but i couldn't find a set of inputs that give me 650k in 5 years and 1.4 in 7.   so curious how you're calculating.

of course, if year 1 is a 20% down year, it's not that big of a deal.  you don't make it to 650k but you also don't lose that much because most of the 478k you invest happens in the other years.    but if year 5 is your 20% down year, it's a pretty big deal.    it's almost as if timing matters.    one could even call it market timing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going off top of my head. We’re in bear, so use 15% returns which is typical coming out of bear. It’s when you make your most money.

4000/mo contributions (don’t forget employer match) at 15% after 5 years with 100k initial = 550 k. So I was damn close with my spit ball number. My contributions are very close to 4k a month, including employer match.

That will double after 7 years. 1.1M.  Again, I was damn close just off the top of my head.

I’m really starting to think you have no idea how investing works.  Who cares if it’s down 20% at year 5?  It will still be 1.1 million in 7 years without any additional contributions after year 5.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
4000/mo contributions
View Quote

Do you have some way to bypass the $27K 401k contribution limit?
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It’s always time to buy.

Trying to time the market is a fool’s game.
View Quote

Truth.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
4000/mo contributions

Employer match.  Why do you think I keep screaming read your 401k summary plan description?
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I was going off top of my head. We’re in bear, so use 15% returns which is typical coming out of bear. It’s when you make your most money.

4000/mo contributions (don’t forget employer match) at 15% after 5 years with 100k initial = 550 k. So I was damn close with my spit ball number. My contributions are very close to 4k a month, including employer match.

That will double after 7 years. 1.1M.  Again, I was damn close just off the top of my head.

I’m really starting to think you have no idea how investing works.  Who cares if it’s down 20% at year 5?  It will still be 1.1 million in 7 years without any additional contributions after year 5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are projecting 12 years at 15% annual growth?
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top