Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/26/2021 9:10:25 PM EDT
I just bought a house with about 1/4 acre of grass to mow and a tiered back yard that does lend itself to a riding mower.

I am thinking of spending the money to go with an electric mower, with batteries compatible with additional electric implements like a chainsaw, string trimmer etc.

Does anybody have a Makita mower and any of their other 18v/36v LiIon tools? Or any other system you would recommend?

Reason for considering electric is to not have gas in my garage, and spreading cost across a good cordless tool set.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I used my neighbor’s when my gas mower needed repair. 1/4 acre and the mower had enough juice to do my yard, my neighbor’s twice each and it was still going strong.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Lowe’s branded one, greenworks.  60v, and I got the chainsaw too.  Same battery.   Both have been awesome for my little yard, like 2500 sq ft.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If i had a small yard.
I'd have an electric mower.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Dewalt has a 40v mower that uses 2 20v tool batteries to run it. I use the 20v string trimmer and its very good.

I have narrowed it down to the ego brand for my next mower. Good reviews and real life testimonials from coworkers. They also offer one, two, or three stage snowblowers that uses the same batteries. Two large tools makes it easier to swallow a new battery platform for me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the ryobi 40 volt self propelled gen1

it is fine for a quarter acre lot

the 40 volt batteries are also used in Ryobi chainsaws, trimmers and blowers

it is a heavy brick

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/40v-20-in-brushless-self-propelled-mower-gen2

it is dang quiet and has led headlights

you can mow at night and not bother the neighbors

also they fold up and store vertical in a shed

you don't have to worry about fluid leaks, oil changes or storing gas

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]
If you get a Honda generator to charge it
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dewalt has a 40v mower that uses 2 20v tool batteries to run it. I use the 20v string trimmer and its very good.

I have narrowed it down to the ego brand for my next mower. Good reviews and real life testimonials from coworkers. They also offer one, two, or three stage snowblowers that uses the same batteries. Two large tools makes it easier to swallow a new battery platform for me.
View Quote

The Dewalt 20v mower (it comes with 2 of the 10 ah batteries) says it'll give you 90 minutes of runtime.  I'm not sure if that's enough on a push mower to handle 1/4 of an acre, so you'd probably need a few extra batteries.  I do believe this is the 1st generation of their mower, so I'd wait until the next model comes out if you wanted Dewalt.

Note: I am a Dewalt fan boy and have probably about 10 of their 20v Max XR tools.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have almost that much grass and using my kobalt 80v and the battery it came with I can mow my entire lawn with about 25% battery left. It's not self propelled however it is a bit lighter than a gas mower.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have the ryobi 40 volt self propelled gen1

it is fine for a quarter acre lot

the 40 volt batteries are also used in Ryobi chainsaws, trimmers and blowers

it is a heavy brick

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/40v-20-in-brushless-self-propelled-mower-gen2

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/9D9ED8E1-89F3-42B5-98A8-3EFA2AFD90EB-1920547.jpg

View Quote
I think that's the one my Mom has. It has been treating her well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I use an Ego on mine, more like 1/3 acre of grass.  Works great.  If the grass is really long or wet I need a 2nd or 3rd battery.  I bought the Ego snow blower which came with two batteries so now I have 3.  The batteries are pretty expensive on their own.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#11]
It appears the 40 volt Hart mower at Walmart is made in the same factory as the Ryobi

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Also this 40 volt one

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had the push 40v Ryobi for three years.  Works great for a small yard.  Last year I got the 40v weed eater to go with it because although I have several of their 18v tools, I only had the one 40v battery and I was worried about it losing too much capacity.

The 40v 4ah battery was $139 and the weed eater with 4ah battery (and extra charger) was on sale for $139 so it was an easy choice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

I love being able to stand mine up against the wall since my garage is smaller.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had a 40V Kobalt mower for a few years now. The older one that looks like a gas mower with an electric engine, not like a spaceship. I has lived 100% outside for 4 years now, snap a battery in and go. I have several very small yards, it works perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I use an 18 volt Ryobi on my suburban parcel.  Works fine for me, and uses the same battery and charger as all my other tools (string trimmer, hedge trimmer, blower, drill, impact, sawzall, circular saw, spot lights, ...).

If you don't care about compatibility with your other tools, 40 volt would be better but 18 volt is sufficient.  ETA Using the larger batteries: I have 4 and 9 amp-hour.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Ego self propelled for a 1/2 acre+  yard. Got the string trimmer also. No complaints, it's quiet, easy to use, the wife will actually use it unlike previous gas mowers we've owned.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Been looking at these as well. Probably go DeWalt since I’m already invested in them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Been looking at these as well. Probably go DeWalt since I’m already invested in them.
View Quote

Yup... just looked at HD, $500 for self-propelled and comes with two 10 amp/hr batts. Says it runs 50 mins and for up to 1/2 acre.
My Honda mower is still running good. Maybe sell on CL and get the Dewalt?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#20]
The quiet of running an electric mower is rather zen like

also you can mow at night, in your assless chaps, and generate fewer police calls
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Stay away form the Ryobi 40 V model.

The interlocks scattered throughout the handle fail quickly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#22]
How are the batt powered mowers for damp grass? (think Oregon spring/fall)
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yup... just looked at HD, $500 for self-propelled and comes with two 10 amp/hr batts. Says it runs 50 mins and for up to 1/2 acre.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HD here didn't have any of the self-propelled models in stock, just the old-school push it yourself model which was $399 and it came with 2 of the 10ah batteries and two single battery chargers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had the 80v kobalt made by green works for years. I only use it for places my rider can't go but it does a phenomenal job, is zero fuss, and can do a quarter acre if it isnt insanely high. And that's with the 2.5AH batteries.

I've tilted it up so it didnt clog and dragged it through a field full of chest high grass and fescue before and it keeps on chopping.

My only complaint is that if you're using the side discharge chute in extremely tall grass- and I mean extremely tall- it can be knocked off as it's only sort of slotted in place. I normally use mine as a mulcher.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think that's the one my Mom has. It has been treating her well.
View Quote

Ha, my mom has this one too.

Does the job
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the fancy pants kobalt 80v self propelled mower.  It works great.  Depending on how much you use the self propelled feature and how many hills you do, it can do about a half acre or so on 1 charge.

I dont do any of that stupid criss cross pattern bullshit.  If you do that, maybe it'll do 1/4 acre.

I wont buy another gas push mower ever.  Electric ones have come far enough to surpass them for the average home owner.

I use my gas riding mower for most of the yard.  Electric push mower for the places that wont go, and when i have to loan a mower to a friend or family.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#27]

TTI owns both hart and ryobi, so yes

Skil however, is owned by chervon, who also makes ego stuff, and the new flex power tools

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in Oregon. The 40V keeps up fine if I don't let it get too long. When it bogs down the motor hits a second speed and works a lot better, wet heavy grass it's in high speed the whole time.

I have the string trimmer, hedge trimmer, and blower. Don't even own a gas can anymore.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not worth a damn.

The smooth plastic allows even damp grass to stick.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm in Oregon. The 40V keeps up fine if I don't let it get too long. When it bogs down the motor hits a second speed and works a lot better, wet heavy grass it's in high speed the whole time.

I have the string trimmer, hedge trimmer, and blower. Don't even own a gas can anymore.
View Quote

I too have the trimmer, blower, edger in 20V max. Great stuff and the better half loves how handy it is to just grab and go. I'll look into the pros/cons of the mower more...
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#31]
We got the blue Lowe’s branded Kobalt stuff.
It’s 40v.
Chainsaw, leaf blower, walk behind, self propelled mower, and more, last year.

My wife loves the mower.
It’s quiet and runs for an half an hour in high grass on one charge.

Haven’t used the chainsaw yet but everything I’ve used has been great.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been interested in a battery mower as I have a Milwaukee trimmer and blower that work great, but I'm not sure a plastic battery mower and my lawn would get along well.
I'm on about a 1/2 acre lot with lots of big oaks and hickory's, so I've got little limbs, nuts, etc all over the place.
Also, about 1/4 of the lot has thick St Augustine that takes 45 minute to an hour every week to mow, so I doubt a battery mower would do it without a few batteries.
I'm assuming most of you are mowing sodded laws and such?
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Saw this Ryobi in HD this evening. About fell over when I saw the Made in USA sticker on it. Of course its the "Global Materials" crap, but still, can't believe that Ryobi would consider it. My Ryobi 40v is going strong at 4 years old. If it dies, I'll replace it with another in a heartbeat.

Ryobi Made in USA   *GLOBAL MATERIALS*

Makita makes a super nice ev mower, but don't feel like $700 on a pusher is worth it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a bosch indego about 8 years ago, but it only lasted about 3 years.   Seems a lot of these are more disposable consumer grade than one would like.  It was nice while it lasted but the yard suffered not getting human attention.

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Hart is made by Emerson for Walmart, Emerson also owns Ryobi and Milwaukee.

I have a lot of Milwaukee tools both M12 and M18, but for yard tools I bought Ergo, I like their self loading trimmer, their edger works great. When ready for a mower I would get a Ergo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have a lot of Milwaukee tools both M12 and M18, but for yard tools I bought Ergo, I like their self loading trimmer, their edger works great. When ready for a mower I would get a Ergo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

TTI, not Emerson

Emerson does own the ridgid name and licenses it to TTI for power tools
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We got the blue Lowe’s branded Kobalt stuff.
It’s 40v.
Chainsaw, leaf blower, walk behind, self propelled mower, and more, last year.

My wife loves the mower.
It’s quiet and runs for an half an hour in high grass on one charge.

Haven’t used the chainsaw yet but everything I’ve used has been great.
View Quote

Same here. Chainsaw works great, and cuts better than I expected.

Also, buy the tools at end of season clearance (snow blower at end of winter, mower in fall) and get a tool and battery and charger for the price of a spare battery. Got a leaf blower/battery/charger for $10 less than a spare battery.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I cut my mom's 1/4 acre lot with the Ryobi 40V today. Its so quiet you can hold a conversation while cutting and it folds up nicely for storage. There's no carb or motor to gum up in the winter or need oil changes. It's a nice smooth cut - and the battery still had 50% power when I was done.

I'll never buy another gas push mower for sure.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Honda is getting into the battery mower game, I have a gasser that is the best mower I've ever owned, if the battery models follow suit, I will strongly consider it.

If I was gonna do it today and dump all the gas equipment, I'd probably go Stihl.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 2:51:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Another vote for ego. I have 1/5 of an acre and can mow it 2.5 times on 1 charge.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 1:23:33 AM EDT
[#41]
May possibly be looking for a new push mower soon and I'm looking at this also. I keep seeing the Stihl push mower at the local Rural King. It's been catching my eye because they have other tools that use the same battery that might be nice to have.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Battery powered mowers tend to choke on tall grass and the motor stops, usually resets when you release the throttle.  If you keep the grass short they should do the job.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Still using my aluminum deck lawn boy 2-cycle with an aluminum engine.
It has been rebuilt once.

Made around early 1970s.
There is a crack in the deck at the discharge chute, but  it has not crossed
the gap in the deck for the plastic discharge chute.

If I am really bored some time, I might rivet some aluminum along the crack.
Then go back barely touch it with an arc welder.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I live in Oregon and love my Ryobi mower and string trimmer.   I have a pretty small yard, but it does a fantastic job.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

This was the decider.

Got the snowblower cheap in Spring (haven't used it, but it has good reviews and an arfcommer says his has worked well further north than I am, i.e. more snow).

Used the LM2156SP (their newest model with the 8.3 ft-lbs of torque) 3x so far. Works well if you don't need to mow huge tracts and is waaaay more quiet.

For the OP's 1/4 acre, it'll work just fine even with a 5Ah battery. This model came with a 10Ah (also didn't notice any reduced performance vs a Craftsman Pro 21").
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:08:21 AM EDT
[#46]
My brother has a Greenworks from lowes. I was quite surprised on the power and battery life. He has been very happy with it
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I think EGO has a set that works.

If the yard needs a tractor, I would buy a small tractor to avoid having to walk/push a mower, but that's up to you. EGO has a ev tractor, but it's not cheap.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the input, everybody!
I have not bought one yet. Between a 40v Ryobi string trimmer I forgot about, and a 40v ryobi blower I got on sale I have two of the 40v batteries already. Might make the most sense for me to go with a Ryobi mower.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#49]
I just bought the DeWalt self propelled, my son really likes it but says it doesn’t cut as low as the old gas mower.

The handlebars dont have any up or down adjustment and are pretty tall, which seems stupid.

Also the battery compartment cover doesnt stay open when you’re swapping or installing batteries, which is mildly irritating.

The deck is metal.

The Ryobi had lights and cost less and would probably work just as good for half the cost.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top