Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2021 1:01:06 PM EDT
Hey guys, back for more help.

I've been having an issue with my hall bathtub since Monday. After my shower there was about an inch or two of water that just sat (never had this problem before, sometimes slow draining but was always able to fix it). It does drain out, eventually, but at the rate it drains, it barely moves.

I attempted to plunge the drain only to have water come back up through the overflow pipe into the tube. I did remove the lever (to which there was no stopper attached). At this point I began to thing that maybe the stopper got lodged in the pipe, causing the blockage. After trying to fish it out and having no luck, I ended up ordering an endoscope camera (which I was going to get for my reloading press anyway).

It just arrived and I popped it down through the overflow drain and tub drain. Best I can surmise, the piping is identical to this image.

Unfortunately, I can't get the camera far enough down to see if there is a blockage somewhere further in the pipe, but at this point I'm a little lost as to what to do (other than to call a plumber).

Anyone have anything I can try before I end up making that call?

Update: I was able to unclog it. After using the scope again and finding nothing, I filled the tub with some water, blocked off the overflow drain pipe with a few shopping bags and used one of the accordion plungers. It took a few attempts but eventually whatever was clogging it broke free. I wonder how far downstream the clog was.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Clear the hair with one of those barbed zip tie things. Follow up with boiling water. No chemicals.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Any access underneath?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any access underneath?
View Quote

None. Without cutting into walls or ceilings...
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Clear the hair with one of those barbed zip tie things. Follow up with boiling water. No chemicals.
View Quote

I had the camera past the stopper in the photo and saw no hair. I didn't think those things were that long...
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any access underneath?

If you pulled the trip out and the plunger wasn't attached, it's likely still in there. I'd try to fish it out with a length of wire with a hook on the end. It could have fell down into the trap, and be causing/contributing to the clog. Don't think a snake would work to get it out of there, it's going to require a bit of finesse. If you do manage to get it out, snake it after while running the hot water.

Last resort...cut a hole in the wall or ceiling to access the pipes...
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you pulled the trip out and the plunger wasn't attached, it's likely still in there. I'd try to fish it out with a length of wire with a hook on the end. It could have fell down into the trap, and be causing/contributing to the clog. Don't think a snake would work to get it out of there, it's going to require a bit of finesse. If you do manage to get it out, snake it after while running the hot water.

View Quote

I wasn't able to see it on the camera. I guess I'll try to see if I can snake it in further. The only other reason I'm not sure its even in there is because the lever when flipped to either side never caused the tub to fill with water.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This  ^

The plunger is hollow  with a little bar that goes across it
They rot out & fall into the trap causing a blockage . Wire coat hanger with a hook on the end will allow you to get through it & grab the
bottom edge. May take a couple trys
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Over the next 3 days use s bottle of liquid drain opener. When my daughter went off or college I had to unclog some drains. 18 years of long hair and shaving took its toll.It took 4 or 5 full according to the directions applications.  We have cast iron piping so it hasn't eaten through yet. This was six or eight years ago. And there has been no problems since.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#9]
For certain I would try to fish that plug out... use your scope.

Also, my last shower backup needed a plumber ( I tried plunger and garden hose water pressure).
He found the clog 35' downstream.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For certain I would try to fish that plug out... use your scope.

Also, my last shower backup needed a plumber ( I tried plunger and garden hose water pressure).
He found the clog 35' downstream.
View Quote

I'll try. The problem is I'm not seeing it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're saying the stopper never worked then it's probably not magically working now.

When plunging tubs and bathroom sinks you have to cover the over-flow drain.  I usually stuff some shopping bags in there, something I know I can pull out without issue.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This works for us. Four girls with long hair!
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a good first step, especially if you have people with long hair using this tub.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#14]
@SuperMoose Yes. I just did this.  At home depot they have a pipe blocking bladder that you hook to a garden hose. It expands under pressure and had a small hole in the tip.

You get one of those and a garden hose shut off. Screw them together. Then remove the lever, linkage and drain plunger thing from the tub by taking out the screws and lifting it out.

You put the dildo looking bladder thing in that hole and turn the garden hose on. It blocks it off and blasts some water into the drain. Leave it on.

Then use one of those black accordion type plungers properly by compressing it, the let off so it fills with water. And then hydraulic power smash it into the drain. It will clear the clog for sure.

Edit: Whoops. Just reread OP...the plunger fell. Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Update: I was able to unclog it. After using the scope again and finding nothing, I filled the tub with some water, blocked off the overflow drain pipe with a few shopping bags and used one of the accordion plungers. It took a few attempts but eventually whatever was clogging it broke free. I wonder how far downstream the clog was.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#16]
It’s always my wife’s hair that clogs the drain

I made her use the pull cord thing and laugh when she starts gagging

Clear the clog, lots of hot water to rinse any build up
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top