Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2021 6:39:41 PM EDT
My brother is tearing one of his barns down so I was searching for treasures within. He bought the place from an Amish family 10 years ago and they left a bunch of junk in the barns.

Amid the junk was a Lodge 20SK 20" skillet. He let me have it!

From what I can tell these were discontinued in 1992 and they are highly coveted. There isn't much online about them but one blog details a man's search for one that took over a decade. Another vague reference I found (in plain text format so details were sparse) indicated that they may have sold for $349.

It's already cleaned up and oiled but it won't fit in my oven so I'll have to season it on my turkey fryer... or possibly on my Weber kettle but it may not fit on that either.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#1]
You can use a bernzomatic torch to season it. I did that with a large wok years ago & it worked out ok.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can use a bernzomatic torch to season it. I did that with a large wok years ago & it worked out ok.
View Quote

That would take forever but gives me a great idea... I have a LP weed burner that puts out big flame for a more effective uniform heating.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That would take forever but gives me a great idea... I have a LP weed burner that puts out big flame for a more effective uniform heating.
View Quote
Try to heat it evenly.

I don't know anything about the thermal expansion properties of cast iron, but you don't want to warp it or spring it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:46:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Here’s a video
Super Fast & Easy How To Refinish - Restore Cast Iron Pan
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:56:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That would take forever but gives me a great idea... I have a LP weed burner that puts out big flame for a more effective uniform heating.I

I cracked a cast iron griddle with one of those torches. Too much heat in one spot I guess.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#6]
What does it weigh?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Take that video and imagine a skillet more than double that size with 5 times the surface area. It would be challenging to get it all warm at once with small heat sources.

I did the weed burner yesterday and it worked well! Just slow gentle heating all around the outside 30% (the center was getting a small amount of heat off the torch almost continuously bc it was always adjacent to where I was heating the outer 30%).

Quoted:
What does it weigh?

I didn't weigh it but I estimate about 40 pounds... I did the math and even though it's only 2.5" tall, the size means it will hold 3.1 gallons of liquid. It would be challenging to move around loaded with just about anything bc that would make it heavy!
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Check it for lead.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Check it for lead.
View Quote

I've heard of lead contamination in imported cast iron but never in Made in USA. Have you seen lead in Made in USA cast iron?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've heard of lead contamination in imported cast iron but never in Made in USA. Have you seen lead in Made in USA cast iron?
View Quote

its not that the pan was made from bad metal.  Its that the pan was used in the past to melt lead and now its contaminated.

Cast Iron being a rough, almost porous surface will capture the lead and slowly release it into your food as you cook with it.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

its not that the pan was made from bad metal.  Its that the pan was used in the past to melt lead and now its contaminated.

Cast Iron being a rough, almost porous surface will capture the lead and slowly release it into your food as you cook with it.  

View Quote

A dutch oven, pot, ladle, sure I can see those being used to melt lead. A 20" skillet, I just don't see how it's even practical. And I melt around 300 lbs of lead a year... melting in a shallow, really wide vessel just doesn't work well.

Plus, knowing the history of place it came from, I would say chances of it being used for lead are non-existent.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A dutch oven, pot, ladle, sure I can see those being used to melt lead. A 20" skillet, I just don't see how it's even practical. And I melt around 300 lbs of lead a year... melting in a shallow, really wide vessel just doesn't work well.

Plus, knowing the history of place it came from, I would say chances of it being used for lead are non-existent.
View Quote
Just because you don't think a frying pan is the ideal medium for melting lead, babbitt, or some other toxic metals, doesn't mean someone else didn't. It was common for a long time. Test strips or pens are cheap and simple, do as you please.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...do as you please.
View Quote

Got it, thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want to see one that size used, check out Kent Rollins YouTube channel, he has one he uses in about half the videos.
Cowboy Kent Rollins
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you want to see one that size used, check out Kent Rollins YouTube channel, he has one he uses in about half the videos.
Cowboy Kent Rollins
View Quote

Thanks for pointing that out. It's the exact same skillet. He actually talks about it a bit in the below video.
"Well the Kerrygold is melted in that big 20... and a lot of you are gonna ask, 'Hey where can I get one of them?' That's an old Lodge, they do not make these anymore. You can occasionally find one but folks those things is like gold, they high. They do make a 17...but if you can go to a flee market and find one of these they're a treasure."

Fried Onion Burger | Famous Oklahoma Fried Onion Burger Recipe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top